Author Topic: Question about Poll ?  (Read 313 times)

Barnac

Question about Poll ?
« on: July 24, 2003, 10:15:35 AM »
Poll question and poll answers, what are they ? and what are they for ?

Regards

« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 10:15:35 AM by (unknown) »

Bach On

Re: Question about Poll ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 02:30:49 PM »
I'm like you. I don't see much point in them. But maybe I'm missing something profound.

B.O.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 02:30:49 PM by Bach On »

Barnac

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 03:06:46 PM »
Bach On;

Well just wait maybe somebody will enlighten us :-)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 03:06:46 PM by Barnac »

JB

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 05:03:05 PM »
your vote does count. for what i dont know. Go ahead and rate me, see if i care. boy these pages are getting wider and wider. comon Tom. get back to work and shrink them down a little. JB Dayton Nevada
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 05:03:05 PM by JB »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Wide pages
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 05:30:31 PM »
JB;

Not one thing I can do I have no way to edit comments edit  only works in stories.

I don't understand why folks seem to think they need to post megapixel photos online. I use a laptop a lot so those really require side scrolling to read the text.

I really do wish there was something I could do but its up to the person posting the photo to size it so it displays in less than full screen. Sadly, most either don't know how or don't care I guess.

Perhaps there is something that can be done in the software but thats not my area. A simple width=80% in the image tag at the end would cure it for most of the  big ones lately. Or they could set their cameras for smaller size photos.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 05:30:31 PM by TomW »

JB

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 07:35:44 PM »
Hello Tom. This might not be in your category but when i post a comment it is the big wide screen and then you got to scroll side to side or maximize the screen to see what you have written.when you maximize the screen the things on the right are pretty much cut off. Maybe its scoops thing. Maybe he can repair it. JB Dayton Nevada
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 07:35:44 PM by JB »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Wide Screen...
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 08:28:08 PM »
JB;

The only time I get the wide screen stuff is when large pictures are posted in either a story or a comment.

So if its happening to you all the time then I'm thinking either your scoop preferences or your browser preferences [font size or zoom].

Not much else comes to mind.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 08:28:08 PM by TomW »

JB

Re: Wide Screen...
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 09:41:27 PM »
Hello Tom. My text box width says 85. What number should I put there? When I read a new post its normal unless it has a big picture but when i post a comment its big like this one. Thanks JB
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 09:41:27 PM by JB »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wide Screen...
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 06:53:22 AM »
JB;

Heres how mine is set up and I only get wide screen from big images:

Text box width:      50

Text box height:     15

Font Size:              2

Here is a little test you can try temporarily:

find a page that displays improperly then go into your browser preferences and disable image download and reload the page. if it goes back to "normal" then you can be fairly certain its the images causing it. Its how I determined it was indeed images doing it.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 06:53:22 AM by TomW »

ADMIN

Re: Photo Size & Question about Poll
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 10:10:58 AM »
I've been trying to re-write the insert photo javascript to make it set the photo width, as Tom suggests. I DID find out why it was not working, but to get it right I'm trying to run it on my machine before feeding it to Scoop, so as not to crash the photo feature (like I did last time). So patience please, it's on the way.

Ditto for archiving good posts. I'm looking into how this works and we are going to implement it -- probably by having folks rate the posts; they would go into the archive  or not depending on ratings.

And as for Polls -- they can be really fun and interesting. We've left the old front page poll up for so long because we couldn't think of anything new to put there! We'll be putting up a new one soon -- and PLEASE go ahead and use the poll feature. We can make anyone's poll into the front page poll, so if you post a good one it might go up there.

Thanks, have fun!

ADMIN

« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 10:10:58 AM by ADMIN »

JB

Re: Photo Size & Question about Poll
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 07:27:23 PM »
How does the ratings work. is no 1 good or number 5 good. thanks JB
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 07:27:23 PM by JB »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Ratings
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 05:43:41 AM »
JB;

Ratings are a tool for site members to rate which  comments they find useful / interesting / etc. Story voting can be enabled also and works the same, basically.

Currently I do not think they actually are turned on even tho they are there.

0 is lowest 5 is highest. Higher ratings are better.

When it is actually enabled if enough users rate a post "0" it would eventually simply not display depending on the users comment display settings.

We have not implemented it yet because it seems better to just let folks get used to the site awhile before we complexicate it more.

Users can choose what threshold to use for not displaying posts like all posts above a rating of "3", etc.

There are tons of features we do not use in Scoop so as to keep it simple for the users initially. I think we will slip these other features in a bit at a time over the next few months. Again, its not my actual area of responsibility so I'm just passing on what I know about Scoop in general.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 05:43:41 AM by TomW »