Author Topic: Dear JW, check out post,"one magnet, one coil, ac.."  (Read 279 times)

troy

Dear JW, check out post,"one magnet, one coil, ac.."
« on: October 04, 2004, 09:16:31 AM »
Dear JW,

Did you get an opportunity to examine the post under homebrew electricity concerning AC sine waves produced from one magnet, one coil and one pass?

Would you be kind enough to point out the error in my reasoning or my lab work?  My results seem to disagree with your assertion that I would only get dc out from that experiment.

Best regards,

troy

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 09:16:31 AM by (unknown) »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Dear JW, check out post,"one magnet, one
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 09:38:03 AM »
Troy,

Yes I did see it... And commented to it as comment 12, you have not seen this? I posted to yesterday at around 10 am est. Look, If your going to say that a magnet and coil "can never" produce a DC current, as Forest Mimms "cleary..." points out 'that it "can" under some circumstances' in the provided nomenclature. Grrrrr. Both AC and DC may be produced this way. Ever heard of a commuter? I am begining to think you did infact see my posting to your recent posting 1 magnet 1 coil AC. Your just being a badger..

I NEVER SAID THAT "ONLY" A DC CURRENT CAN BE PRODUCED THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I simply said it was "possible" or "capable" of doing so(dc current).... And all that depends on polarity division orintation of the said magnet moving in X vector.

Anyhow, I say we just let this go, the matter seems acedemic. If you have a beef with me feel free to e-mail at techdata@flashsteam.com Instead of wasting the boards time with it. Your making me sick with this troy. By the way my portable scope is over 20mhz, and cost me five thousand dollars, I do know how to use it....

JW

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 09:38:03 AM by JW »

finnsawyer

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 10:33:10 AM »
Not really academic for this board, in my opinion.  As far as I know, there are two ways to induce a voltage in a coil from a magnetic field.  One is by varying the flux passing through the coil over time (Faraday's Law).  This is the principle behind the ubiquitous transformer.  The other is the effect on a (free) charge moving in a magnetic field.  I tried to explain this to Chester.  To wit:

> Chester, when a charge moves through a magnetic field there is a force on it that is at right angles to both the magnetic field and its direction of motion.  This is what causes the hall effect as charges in the wire respond to this force and pile up on one side.  Similarly, if a copper wire is passed over the pole of a magnet,  the electrons in the wire will pile up on one end of the wire causing a voltage in the wire.  If a copper or aluminum washer is made to spin over the pole of a magnet a constant or dc voltage will be induced between the inside hole and the outside rim of the washer.  Unfortunately there are problems trying to make practical use of this effect.  For one thing, the voltage is small.  I hope this helps.

This is the effect Troy was measuring.  It can generate ac or dc voltages depending on the configuration.  For instance, for Troy's experiment with the coil on edge:

>Most likely you would get a single negative or positive pulse of reduced amplitude.  The reason for this is that the field of the magnet drops off quickly with distance and one side of the coil is farther away from the magnet.  It will produce a voltage opposite in polarity to that of the close side but much weaker.  Should be an easy experiment to do.

The alternator designs you find on this board work because of this effect.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 10:33:10 AM by finnsawyer »

Harry Luubovv

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 10:39:32 AM »
I am sorry to butt in here, I don't want to be tangled into a fight. But one of my experimentation is DC generation. I can add one more verification here to say that it can work. Efficiency usually is lower than AC gneration.

Thanks for reading,

Harry went.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 10:39:32 AM by Harry Luubovv »

troy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 11:50:38 AM »
Dear JW,

Sorry for the trouble.  My only concern was the assertion that dc output was normal for a single coil with a single magnet in a single pass.  Not if you could "somehow" get DC out of a coil.

Best regards,

Happy to drop it forever

troy

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:50:38 AM by troy »

troy

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 11:55:34 AM »
And again,

Appologies to JW for missing your post.  Been busy splitting five tons of silver maple in the back yard.

Also appologies to the board for wasting so much bandwidth over this.  I'll never bring it up again as we really have beaten it to death by now.

Good luck and have fun!

troy

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:55:34 AM by troy »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 03:55:06 PM »

Troy :

you needn't worry your coil analisis is key to testing out your stator plans Ie  winding to magnets with air core .keep on truckin

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 03:55:06 PM by tecker »