Author Topic: michael hackleman  (Read 204 times)

newguy

michael hackleman
« on: December 26, 2004, 06:39:02 AM »
This guys book got me all crazy with this renewable energy stuff especially windmills but for some reason i had thought he had passed on years ago but in recent reseach i find that the legend is living holy crap i would give anything to meet him does any one know if he is doing any workshops this year or somthing man that would be great
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 06:39:02 AM by (unknown) »

RatOmeter

Re: michael hackleman
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 03:37:32 AM »
Looks like his name came up in the somewhat distant past right here:

http://www.otherpower.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=8131

And I found an article/interview by him in backwoodshome.com

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/hackleman64.html

Read that first link and replies all the way thru, I think the conclusion is that you're already at the right place for info on building RE systems... right here!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 03:37:32 AM by RatOmeter »

mlz

Re: michael hackleman
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 01:39:49 PM »
Michael is an inspiration for any DIY, however, I can strongly attest that for most electrical purposes, it's a huge waste of time and investment to go with an S-Rotor, at least for 98% of the world.  It's cheaper and more effective to use the PMA systems than the S-Rotor.  S-Rotors do work, but not with a great deal of power, unless your in an area that at least twice a week has winds of more than 30 mph.  

My new place will not have an S-Rotor on it, the old house was situated perfectly for them.  Take a look at your location and make a choice based on your winds.  If the only winds you get are high power (or even 2 wind days out of 3), then yes, go S-Rotor, use a PMA rather than an alternator, and you'll do fine.  Otherwise a nice 10-14' unit as described here is your best bet for simplicity and the most bang for the buck.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 01:39:49 PM by mlz »