Author Topic: Ametek vs. Treadmill motor  (Read 239 times)

randy727

Ametek vs. Treadmill motor
« on: February 12, 2004, 05:55:16 PM »
Has anyone had any luck with "treadmill" motors?  I found one on eBay cheap and bought it.  Of course I took it apart to inspect it.  I have found that you usually get what you pay for.  This motor is definitely "cheap" in comparison to my "Ametek" motor.  Same front bearing, but tiny rear bearing, and plastic brush holders that will probably melt when I try to run some serious current thru them.  This motor may end up on my stationary bike as a human powered unit. (That's not far from its original intended use.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 05:55:16 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Ametek vs. Treadmill motor
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 08:52:40 PM »
I have a P.M. D.C. Treadmill motor rated at 1.25 HP and 90 volts that appears to be pretty well built. But I suspect that it's a fairly high RPM I have been considering replacing the induction motor on my drill press with it in my 48 volt shop ( when I get it finished).

Dr.D

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 08:52:40 PM by drdongle »

Jerry

Re: Ametek vs. Treadmill motor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 09:46:34 PM »
Hi Randy

I bought a tred mill motor from the thrift store. 1 hp It has 2 ceramic magnets.

It looks identical to the PM dc garbage disposal motors that I've collected. Its the same diameter and same length. The diferance was the tred mill motor has bearings and the disposal motor only has bushings. Also the tred mill motor magnets and armature were longer. The disposal motor is rated 1/2 HP and come with a fullwave bridge rectifier atached.

I've spun these motors up in the leathe at 1500 rpm and they made about 20 volts. I think since they are 2 pole/magnets they are designed to opperate at 3600 rpm or higher. So I've not persude the as a genny any longer.

However I have done some 2 pole AC motor conversions and the 2 big ceramic magnets would be good doner magnets for this type conversion.

I'm using a 2 pole ac motor conversion on the roof of my store It makes 400 watts at 28.8 mph. Same specs as a SW-403. It does about 250w at 20 mph.

This is using neo magnets and the big ceramics would be much less power but even if this combo maxed out at 200 watts thats still $1000 worth of solar.

Neet thing about it is these motors are thrown away daily. both of them.

The 2 pole motor becomes a 4 pole genny because of the run plus start windings.

JK TAS Jerry  

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 09:46:34 PM by Jerry »