Author Topic: Should we have a non-mainstream?  (Read 605 times)

elvin1949

Re: Should we have a non-mainstream?
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005, 05:06:36 AM »
AIN'T BROKE

don't fix it

elvin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:06:36 AM by elvin1949 »

alcul8r

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2005, 08:44:40 AM »
I hope the list administrators don't take this as a request to include this material in the regular list.  I don't want to sort through the garbage to see the real-world I came for.

Rex

KansasWind.com

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:44:40 AM by alcul8r »

John II

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 08:56:02 AM »
Dr.D This is basically all some were hoping for on this board, Just an arrow or direction to send others. This should not change the board one bit. But for some reason a lot of people think it will. Go figure ?

I fully agree this board shouldn't change. But when someone brings up the "posting" window. Right there it tells you what is on topic. Ok... you discover there's a lot of knowledgeable folks here who probably could help, and even willing to help, but you can't ask. So what do you do ?

Right there on that posting page if it said...

"can't find the proper subject heading ? Click here" This would take you to another page. On that page would be a list of OtherPower's most preferred sites that naturally have to do with topics that are cross related to this forum in some way or another, but slightly too off subject. There could be hyper links there to the best remote living gardening forums, Put Keely.Net on there if this is the best you can find for O.U's, put an alternative medicine forum up there you can find that deals with magnets. If there's some one out there playing with unusual things to do with magnets and coils but haven't gotten around to bolting a propeller on it, then put that there too.

It would be best if the referral forums are those most frequented by folks on this forum. Why not ?

Those other forums will thank you for the influx of new neighbors. If they have a twinge of ethics, they'll put a place on their board for people that keep asking about home grown generators and pv's to send them to this forum.

For the life of me, I can't see what is so horrible or shocking about doing something like this : )

It just seems like it would solve a lot of problems. The only reason not to do it that I can personally think of is, that perhaps a very small hand full here get's pleasure out of snubbing or silent treating some "new be" that asked if a motor will really power a generator forever in a closed loop, or ask why magnets makes his fingers go numb? Maybe there's a certain amount of entertainment to this that I haven't discovered. I hope this is not the case.

I know there must be several good off link boards out there. I have found one excellent rural remote gardening one that leans towards off grid. To be quite frank, I haven't found any O.U. boards where you have the kind of people willing to point out obvious technical oversights in kindness like you do here. Maybe one will start up somewhere, but for the moment you could at least send them to the best that can be found.

So no changes to the board... but I still think at least in the posting window, it would be kind to point them to the best of other forums if/when they discover that this forum lacks one or two categories. And I might add, I have seen some good category suggestions brought up that to me appear to be totally on topic, but maybe I'm overlooking something : )

Either way I'm thankful that the Dan's at least allow the discussion of this. That shows major consideration right there : )

John II

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:56:02 AM by John II »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2005, 08:45:07 PM »
John II,

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, uknow, just realized something. I too, have had the sensation of numbness(in the fingers) when handling magnets, especially the SmCo type's. This feeling of numbness in the finger tips, generally occurs, when they get cought between to magnets slapping toghether.

Seriously though, you really should privately e-mail OTHERPOWER/FIELDLINES admin to discuss this type of stuff and keep it off of the "mainstream" here.

It's all good, cheers folks...

JW

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:45:07 PM by JW »

John II

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 10:24:15 PM »
JW..... perhaps you are correct ?

I thought "Rants & Opinions" was exactly the place for users to suggest in a "polite manner"( I might add...) some things they would or would not like to see on forum policy and or changes. I thought we were being ever so on topic for a change ! But in retrospect you might be right ?

All in all, I think the request were in earnest, and quite polite overall. This just goes to show what a bunch of nice folks there are on this forum... to which I'm proud of, and I'm sure the Dan's are proud of them too.

It does me good to know that people care enough to stick their head out, run the risk of being laughed at or ostracized because they love the board enough to want to try to improve it just a little. Of course sometimes what may appear to be an improvement, may in actuality do it harm. But the point is... "the attempt to improve" shows genuine concern and good will towards everyone on this board. Over all I'm impressed.

The Dan's have a nice forum and we are all delighted with that, and hope it can stay that way for ever ! I think new ideas or even old ideas occasionally revisited in a friendly matter is a healthy thing.

John II

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 10:24:15 PM by John II »

iFred

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 12:11:26 AM »
After what I have read here in this one page alone, I am convinced of one thing and one word which expresses it clearly "UNITY" , I have never seen it happen ever and anywhere on the internet or in my life in all my years. I am proud to be part of such a honest, forthright and open group of individuals that does so much good and has such understanding, dignity and compassion. Words cannot express my appreciation and great respect that I have for all of you. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this! Sincerely and humbly, Fred.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 12:11:26 AM by iFred »

skravlinge

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2005, 02:35:13 PM »
I think the board works well, so I suggest not do anything, and if you change, would it be better? At least sleep on it before anything radical here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:35:13 PM by skravlinge »