Author Topic: Should we have a non-mainstream?  (Read 604 times)

iFred

Should we have a non-mainstream?
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:48:23 PM »
No offence to Dan and don't take this the wrong way please, please please... but we need some answers. I am suggesting an opinion poll to help Dan decide ((without his permission I might add, I did not ask)) The issue of weather to have a new non-mainstream chat board or categories added to this web site or not? I really don't know....I say let the people voice their opinion and lets see what happens.. This way we will finally know if it's a good idea or a bad idea. Hey I'm not perfect..Besides, we get to find out something interesting or not.

Disclaimer:

Regardless of what the poll says or suggests...Dan has the last say and word on this subject no matter what. This is Dans right! he has earned it and fought for it, and bled for it. not to mention paid for it. He has earned my highest respect and I wish no harm to come to him or this board no matter what. So his word is gold here. I respect his word. Let him make the final decision of what he wants to do. We are only here to help him. Honesty always! Integrity of the utmost.

Sincerly

Fred

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is the questions to everyone

Non-mainstream means = free energy stuff, magnetics & magnetism, hydrogen ideas, motor/generators etc, other stuff not discussed here or having any catigories related. Things that where banned on this board previously.

* Should we have a non-mainstream area and categories on this web site?

or

* Should the non-mainstream area's be on another web site with links to this one and also be totally separate so as not to be confused- but totally supporting this web site in all ways, shapes and forms.

In any case, what categories would you like to see added if non-mainstream?

In any case, what categories would you like to see added if mainstream to this site?

Thanks! Cast you vote and opinions.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 05:48:23 PM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: Should we have a non-mainstream?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 10:55:49 AM »
personally i believe there already is far too much representation on the web for the "off the wall", "wierd", "free energy" etc etc, ad nauseum.

i don't know about other folks but i am far to busy in my life to have to sort thru more chaf to get to the nuggets of truth.

of course it is up to the Dan's and others who work this board, and i leave it in their capable hands to come to the right decision on this one.

bob g

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 10:55:49 AM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

whatsnext

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »
My vote would be for you to start just such a board and let us know how it goes. It might be fun but I would think moderating a discussion board would be a huge hassle so I'm not going to even try. Asking the Dans to operate yet another seems like too much to ask but that's just me because I'm lazy.

John.......
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 10:58:47 AM by whatsnext »

jimjjnn

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 11:00:10 AM »
I like the link idea as this present site can still maintain it's viability and Dan won't have to work to sort it out in categories. Those that are interested in strange but possibly very feaseable ideas can go to the link site.

I always find bits and pieces of these ideas have merit tho the total idea may not be practical or feaseable

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:00:10 AM by jimjjnn »

troy

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 11:05:39 AM »
I would prefer not to have the whole free energy issue discussed on this board.  Maybe interesting on another forum where I'm not trying to find "useful" (difficult to define, I know...) information about stuff I can do right now.

Best,

troy

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:05:39 AM by troy »

windstuffnow

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 11:12:33 AM »
  Personally I liked reading posts with weird stuff in them.  Even if the actuall idea didn't have merrit ( free energy, perpetual motion etc ) the thought and engineering usually did.  I tend to see things as what they could be not necessarily what they are.  Strange ideas can lead to a very positive outcome... we learn the fastest through our failures.

I like the board no matter what direction the Dan's decide to take it, its completely up to them what goes on here... I'm just a passenger...

Have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:12:33 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

JB

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 11:31:57 AM »
Personally I think the board is just fine though I prefered the old board better. My opinion only. We dont want to turn it into ebay. Ebay wasnt broken but they are always changing it and not always for the better. I say leave it alone. It works.The simpler the better . JB
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:31:57 AM by JB »

Jessum Dumguy

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 11:45:23 AM »
   I'm pretty much of the thought that it should be

a seperate thing so Dan ( and others uninterested in it) don't

have to deal with it, He's been down that road and

I'm sure he's over that Magical Mystery Tour.   :-)

But as I mentioned in the post to your (iFred) other

thread the very names used for THIS site will draw many looking for

OU information. ( Forcefield, Otherpower, Wondermagnet ect ).

To someone looking for OU, This bourd apears in the

search engines to be a "OU MECCA".  A LINK to a place even

OFF SITE of the information they were looking for would be

a nice thing and at the very least the LINK BACK might

help Wondermagnet sell a few more products.....

I honestly don't see the downside to that.

Jessum Dumguy

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:45:23 AM by Jessum Dumguy »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 12:01:45 PM »
Fred;

Gee, man, if you are that unhappy with things here just start your own forum, I would suggest.

I guess the bottom line is that you have a website already and maybe this is your opportunity to offer your vision to the world.

Personally, I like this forum as is and focused on attainable home built machines that actually produce usable energy.

Complaining and conspiracy paranoia just looks childish. Go forth and produce a forum matching your vision by all means. Of course none of us controls your destiny so take the idea and run with it. Maybe Mister pants and Harry will grace you with their insightful comments on a regular basis.

Best of luck in whatever you do. Plenty of room for everyone on this big old internet.

OK thats settled now on with the production of electron movement!

Just a user with an opinion.

T

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:01:45 PM by TomW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 12:12:05 PM »
Going to have to agree with TomW on this one. Although the weirder (bendini motors and such) Do infact teach us things. The primary scope of the board, here, is diy wind-turbines. Besides, when the board sticks to this format(with the front-page and all), this place becomes a resource for all kinds of school and family projects. I agree with Bob g in the respect its hard enough to make a good wind turbine in the first place. And there is always the diarys section, for less conventional projects. Hats off to the Dan's....

JW

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:12:05 PM by JW »

wildbill hickup

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 12:21:01 PM »
As I and many others has said in the past this is a very unique board(from what I have seen). For once I have found a board that doesn't have all the BS. I would hate to see it change from exactly what is. I have been to so many that dispite the fact they may look interesting they turnm out to be full of crap. Out of the 15 or 20 boards I have checked out (for a period of time) this is the only one I return to daily. The others? If not outright BS there all ads and politics no answers. I realize this is up to the Dan's and others that run this board, but concider this a plee not to change this board!!!!

As far as off topic subjects the board even seems to take care of those in suggestions from those on it as to were to go for more information. I don't think I have ever asked a question or presented an idea that I have had some positive responce, if not directly then via a link someone has found.

To the Dan's and company you have miraculasly(bad spelling) kept this board free from all the ads and politics and crap that seem to be on others, please don't change it now !!!!!!!!

Wildbill

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:21:01 PM by wildbill hickup »

John II

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 12:27:52 PM »
For those who do not want O.U. subjects on this forum ( I'm one that doesn't ) or don't want all the interesting things you can do with a magnet or magnetic fluid etc. I think a link at the top of this home page to send those folks to another fine forum Is Ideal.

It solves several problems.

(1) It helps keep this forum true to it's intentions.

(2) It helps people looking for other things that closely relate to this forum to find them.

(3) It treats those people with dignity and honor, instead of giving them "the silent treatment" If they dare accidentally say the wrong thing on this forum.

Seems to me, It's only neighborly to point someone down the road in the right direction when they stop by and ask for something you don't feel you can offer. Because this forum only offers Rural home made power topics and someone comes along and wants to know if your magnet that makes generators will also do this or that, that is not on this forum, You should be able to send him to one that is, and on top of that, one that you can conveniently follow him into the other forum to assist him if you desire.

A typical instance would be, He's built his generator thanks to the help of many on this forum, but would like additional advice on how to couple his gardening setup to his new home made wind turbine. He shouldn't have to go off into "nether land" to continue the thread. Yet the thread wouldn't be proper on this forum. A sister forum would be absolutely ideal I would think. All it would take would be one hyper link at the top of the front page.

Ideally both forums should have the same look alike familiar format and reference each other with hyper links.

I see a win win situation if carried out properly. Ideally both forums should be cross linked for very obvious reasons.

Last night I made some earlier comments in much greater detail on this subject which can be read at.

http://www.fieldlines.com/comments/2005/1/9/153732/1373/6#6

I also applaud this forum and wouldn't change a thing except for the above mentioned hyper link and or hyper links.

John II

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:27:52 PM by John II »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 12:52:40 PM »
I agree John II,

Unfortunitly its been suggested here before. Basically many have suggested that the postings should (re-circulate) (have an alterate page [like the everything page] that will bring old posts to the top of the page, if someone posts to it) so that type of conversation, that is conducive, to that type of process, is supported. But again, this does infact deviate from the primary focus of the board(OTHERPOWER)[not exactly but whatever].

Such an option is entirely up to the Dan's. I for one like the board just exactly how it is... But there is infact a collegiate spirt here.

JW

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 12:52:40 PM by JW »

Big All

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »
I'm pretty new here and quite like the board in it's current state.

One thing I'd like to see added would be a transportation section, there is so much here on 'lectricity, motors, batteries etc. I think it would fit nicely.

Anyhow, were there some big wars that took place here with the free energy/perpetual fellers?

I've only dealt with one perpetual motion guy nice and he drove me absolutey ape $#|+e.

(Personality problems from childhood tramas)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:25:56 PM by Big All »

JavaMoose

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 01:39:16 PM »
The only thing I dislike is the fact that this is not a phpBB based forum.

I love this forum, and lurk 99% of the time (for some time now, despite how "new" my username is) but I still think phpBB is a superior board software.  It would also give the Dans the ability to take some of the 'old hats' on this board and make them into forum moderators for whichever forum-topic they are the most versed in.  This would take a lot of overhead off of their shoulders.

Again, just my thought.  What the hell do I know. ;)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:39:16 PM by JavaMoose »

BruceDownunder

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 02:02:40 PM »
Leave the bloody thing alone

It's working just fine --that's why I retired,guys were trying everyday to re-invent something that was working perfectly

Bushboy

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 02:02:40 PM by BruceDownunder »

zubbly

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »
Hi IFred!

personally, i like it just the way it is and how it is run.  Thats why i come here   :)

zubbly

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 02:31:51 PM by zubbly »

johnlm

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 03:05:05 PM »
I think I have to agree with what seems to be the majority opinion here and that is leave it more or less alone and at the discretion of Dan(s) to determine what gets mainstream and what doesn't.  Although Fred's magnetic fluid post was  somewhat interesting (at least to me it was) I can see where a line has to be drawn or pandoras box will open up and soon things will degrade into most of the posts being off topic.  I agree a hotlink to another site or page that contains all the "other" stuff is a good idea.

Johnlm
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 03:05:05 PM by johnlm »

iFred

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 03:27:15 PM »

Plainly I can see that I am a little bit of a sh$# D&^@^TER In any case, I'll post my comment on the above idea as well. I don't like the idea of separation nor do I like major change. Would I like to run a message board, I have already done so in the past, didn't really like it, would do it only to help the Dans and this board if required to so, have skill will travel-lol. If I dislike this board so much why don't I create one? You misinterpret my intentions, I love the board and I respect the Dan's as I respect all of you and your opinions, don't take it personally and vent on me. Just I am a sh&# D(&(#$ter sometimes, It is the way I am, it is the way I figure things out. I do think differently, as do we all.

I do like the board the way it is, other then some categories that need to be added, which is what started this whole mess in the first place, (yes I pushed it along and instigated it, change is difficult to except because it requires work  =>> and we all know how much we hate that stuff!! LOL))...Categories such as -> steam, oil heaters, hydrodynamics, hydrogen, and yes an "Other" section that does not go to the front page would be nice.

All I was asking if it was possible to add some extra categories. But like all things in life, we have to do it the hard way. All the above mentioned categories are viable and workable technologies with great potential.  "Other" replacing the common post/move area that does not suit any other area "under the table etc ...rants and opinions, vis a vis, demoted, twenty lashs to bad ratings?, I feel so alone-.LOL!!). I guess that I am just going to have to wait until these categories are added to the list, till then...Rants and opinions it is! so be it.

Dans, yes both of you, you have done a wonderful job for the community and for all of us,  never assume otherwise, as stated I have the highest respect for what you have accomplished, don't ever change, even for an old sh
& d&*$##@ter like me. But look to the future and see what it will be becoming, for time moves quickly, far more for some of us then others. I wish you well always and will continue to push forward, don't take it personally. It is the nature of the beast within. Take your time, when it happens it happens, ill still be around, yep you guessed it, unless you kick me like a mule, and then some, i'll be around here. LOL have a great day!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 03:27:15 PM by iFred »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 03:56:27 PM »
a little ruckus is good once in a while--stirs the heart into motion..

whatever...its a great board-gets a little off track at times..but thats life..

peace out..........

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 03:56:27 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 04:32:05 PM »
Fred,

Build it and people will come. Dans, don't link it. My opinion, you've done a great job selecting what stays and what goes. Dave B.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 04:32:05 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 04:32:44 PM »
I would like to see two more sections added so all the other stuff doesen't get grouped up into the Homebrewed Electricity area

Alternitive Fuels - Hydrogen, Fuel Cells, Waste Veggie Oil, etc

News Flashes - Links to news stories concerning alternitive energy

and possably as suggested above

Transportation - alternitive ways to get around.

And speaking of hyperlinks

all of the hyperlinks on the 'Wondermagnet' site that point to this Discussion Group are broken.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 04:32:44 PM by wooferhound »

Chuck

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 05:38:55 PM »
I always hate to be in the majority and I seem to be alergic to the term "mainstream". That seems to be one reason I'm into RE stuff ... its "alternative". Shades of my 60's upbringing.

However, on this subject, I have to go with the flow and say I come here because of what the board is. If I want to read about perpetual energy and related stuff, I go to those sites (and books/mags/IRC whatever) that specialize in it. Leave it alone.

Chuck Morrison

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 05:38:55 PM by Chuck »

Lurker 417

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 05:39:29 PM »
The board ain't broke. Don't need fixin'. There is plenty of room on the Web for a seperate board all about overunity ideas and all that. Where did anyone ever get the idea that the Dans were somehow responsible for hosting that stuff? This place is so much more useful without all those nuts. Not that I don't enjoy the nutty stuff now and then. Just don't make us wade through it here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 05:39:29 PM by Lurker 417 »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2005, 06:29:55 PM »

Fred if you take the Buick out you have to be home at a reasonable hour .

The board is practical for the practical by the practical . I don't have enough wind so I spend all My time on things that don't fit the mold of practical . I at one time I wanted some buds to swap pics with . The systems are up and working and as I press on

I do enjoy the practical element . and I return day after day to get a dose.  

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 06:29:55 PM by tecker »

pexring

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2005, 07:05:24 PM »
Fred,

I'll have to admit that I would like to read about others who are trying off-the-wall-things.  I believe that there's another source of energy out there -- waiting to be discovered.  And if it wasn't for guys trying off-the-wall things, new ideas may never get discovered.

So I say don't try to change this forum (it's making you a thorn in the Dan's side no matter how nice your posts are).  Instead start your own.  Even if this site doesn't link to it, your site will get recommended as needed.  And sure, it's a lot of work in the beginning to moderate a forum, but the longer your forum is around the easier it becomes as others will soon jump in to help answer the repetitive questions that will come up time and time again.  

Mark

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:05:24 PM by pexring »

whatsnext

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 07:13:11 PM »
I'm kind of thinking that 'homebrewed electricity' is a bit too broad. Splitting that up into a few sections would be cool. Especially if a couple of them were 'batteries' and 'gererators'.

John........
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:13:11 PM by whatsnext »

RobC

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »
I would like to see this board stay the way it is. But I would like to see you start a separate board for other things Fred. RobC
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:14:00 PM by RobC »

BT Humble

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 07:25:20 PM »

So here is the questions to everyone

Non-mainstream means = free energy stuff, magnetics & magnetism, hydrogen ideas, motor/generators etc, other stuff not discussed here or having any catigories related. Things that where banned on this board previously.

* Should we have a non-mainstream area and categories on this web site?

or

* Should the non-mainstream area's be on another web site with links to this one and also be totally separate so as not to be confused- but totally supporting this web site in all ways, shapes and forms.

Here's your link:

http://www.keelynet.com

I'd be more than happy if all of the free-energy-perpetual-motion crowd would keep such discussion over there with their like-minded brethren.  

I like it that we obey the laws of thermodynamics here.

BTH

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:25:20 PM by BT Humble »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005, 07:39:28 PM »
I found this board in July 2004 and spent a month or so just reading (all the way back to the "old board").  In my travels through history I ran across the perpetual motion stuff and remember getting aggravated when I waded through the "generator that powers its own motor" stuff and "what if I stack up a bunch of magnets, can I cure cancer" stuff.  I kind of agree that the board is better off without that.

I hate to add fuel to the fire but...  I kind of liked the magnetic fluid thing.  It also occurs to me that a significant amount of energy goes into explaining how to measure current and voltage, what a diode does, and recently, how to make a high current dummy load.

How about just adding a section for tools and measurement techniques?  This could include useful information pertaining to energy generation but not actually about generation itself.  

This could include:

How to measure current using 10 feet of 10ga wire and a cheap voltmeter.

Magnetic fluid

How to simulate the action of your new solar heat collector using heatlamps from Walmart.

Circuits using the LM 3914 bargraph chip

Making your own truck mounted test stand

Which cheap bicycle speedometer is best for an rpm meter.

Tables and formulas for spreadsheets to perform common or cool tasks.

Converting an old TV to a simple oscilloscope for visualizing waveforms.

etc., etc...

rp

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:39:28 PM by RP »

RobC

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2005, 07:46:25 PM »
Personally I'm not that crazy about keelynet.RobC
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:46:25 PM by RobC »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2005, 10:00:11 PM »
don't change a thing, please!!!!!if you make a link called off the wall,  ok . i come here to learn
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 10:00:11 PM by electrondady1 »

drdongle

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2005, 04:55:14 AM »
If it's not broke, don't fix it!

You can not be all things to all people, nor should you try to be.

Add all the links you want but don's mess up the board.

Cape Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 04:55:14 AM by drdongle »