Author Topic: RE "non polluting" kind  (Read 672 times)

georgeodjungle

o.k o.k. o.k
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 10:18:44 PM »
after the dump load "water" comes up to temp,

i'll put the juice back in to the genny "i use pm motors"and replace the wind i used. or at least some of it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:18:44 PM by georgeodjungle »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: o.k o.k. o.k
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 11:05:25 PM »
I want my wind turbine to charge my batteries so I can power my wind turbine to make more wind!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 11:05:25 PM by wooferhound »

nothing to lose

Re: o.k o.k. o.k
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2005, 04:03:55 AM »
Yes, I too thought about helping the neighbors make more power that way :)

I could collect the higher winds from the hill tops with my tall genny one day, and then when I have all the power I need, use the excess power in dump loads to run PM motor fans to blow wind downhill to the neighbours wind gennies. RE at it's finest, replacing the wind I have used so that others can bennifit from it also :)

Perhaps we can start our own wind grid :)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 04:03:55 AM by nothing to lose »

finnsawyer

Re: RE "non polluting" kind
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2005, 08:52:31 AM »
Actually, I didn't have time to really respond to this.  The tidal effect involves Earth-Moon interactions.  As energy is expended by the tides over time the Earth's rotation slows and the Moon moves farther from the Earth.  Now this is important because scientists have concluded that the Moon's gravity helps stabilize the tilt of the earth's axis.  When the Moon gets far enough away there will come a time when the Earth's tilt will become 90 degrees leading to unfortunate consequences.  Robbing energy from the tides can apparently hasten that day.  Also, I doubt that it would be possible to increase the Earth's spin by messing with the tides.  To do that you would have to build rocket ships with huge gyroscopes inside.  You spin the gyros up at the south pole, fly them to the Moon, spin them down at one of the poles of the Moon, spin them up the other way, fly back to the Earth, spin them down, and so on.

One other thing.  The tidal generators are taking extra energy from the tides (no matter which way the flow) than would normally be taken by natural processes, and converting that ultimately to heat, and causing the increased rate of slowing.  We can expect similar effects that will show up in the weather patterns when we take energy from the winds and convert that to heat (in a different place).

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:52:31 AM by finnsawyer »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005, 09:02:41 AM »
GeoM!

Glad someone else knew that too.

I was starting to wonder if everyone thought I was goofier than I really am.

G-
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:02:41 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

redeyecow

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 12:30:17 PM »

This is the kind of dilemma that all us RE types have to deal with everyday.  Do we

give up the stuggle and join the masses by plugging into the various umbilical cords or

do we keep on plugging away.

Visting freinds who live in the perfect artifical enviroment is always a bit of a shock, everything purrrs and buzzes and does everything automaticaly, the ambient temp.

is always perfect.(I live in central Alberta Can. so winter is always a  challenge)and

nobody has to do the dishes.(they use more water in one day than we use in a week)

The point is that it's all sooo easy.  All you have to do is come up with the money to keep the various utility companies at bay and make payments on all the cool stuff.

The alternative is a different story. You basically create a full time job trying to cover all the specialized services and skills that most people just take for granted.

As far as pollution, most folks are happy to separate their garbage and are shocked to learn that their squeaky clean electrical appliances and baseboard heaters are fired

by coal.

I guess my point is that it ain't easy. There's no magic solution that's going to allow someone to bring a normal western lifestyle off the grid. You gotta love it. Keith
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:30:17 PM by redeyecow »

Solarjunkie

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 08:07:01 PM »
Hey Nothingtolose can I get some of your "stuff" for free?

Thanks for the enlightening rants.. I enjoyed it!

Solar Junkie

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:07:01 PM by Solarjunkie »

elvin1949

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2005, 09:19:28 AM »
NTL

Thank you for putting what i have been trying to say for years into words.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 09:19:28 AM by elvin1949 »

fungus

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2005, 04:18:08 PM »
What I think the key thing is that, well, you could argue that solar panels need lots of energy to make them thus making pollution but they stop making pollution once you've made them. what about a diesel generator? It probably made much more pollution to make it than for solar panels but it carries on making pollution after it's made. That is the key thing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:18:08 PM by fungus »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2005, 08:48:35 AM »
We are getting another leap second this year to make up for a slower earth rotation. The 23rd time since 1972.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 08:48:35 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

rottingspinalcord

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005, 10:42:13 PM »
waste not, want not. the american society promotes laziness, i believe this because of telivision addiction as well as the fact that soo many people dont care about the bills and all that whatnot and just manage it as an average piece of meat to feed the dog(major coporations) everyday, the fact that all americans are essentally fat and lazy keeps us from voting, caring about curroption in the global economy. we have the tecknology to end world hunger and our energy problems (genetics engineering anyone?)but that would destroy our oil addiction as well as the companies that make millions in profit for feeding the poor. it would also unbalance the worlds ecosystems.

to be totally honest i believe that everything originates from nothing. i mean if all forces of nature are balanced and equal how could this world we live in be more than a drawn out scale of extremes nullifying one another for eternity? in that sense and the sense that "there is no free lunch" and "everything is connected to everything else" there is no such thing as pollution. there are just environmental factors that we are creating that we are not used to. dont get me wrong, typing away on my computer is a fun way to be lazy, but i use it mostly just to make plans and find ideas for experiments. theres never going to be law that prohibits internal combustion, low emmisions is nice but over the fraction of a second that humans have been around on the grand timescale it has amounted rather quickly in either instance. and we cannot decellerate this until we have literally burned the entire planet or find an alternate source of energy, im not against combutstion at all. just filter the fumes and pump that carbon dioxide and water into a greenhouse. u could even most likely use the goop from the filter as some sort of lube or try reacting it with some compound and invent a new energy cycle for all of us to be the bitches of like ford making the assembly line.

u asked for my opinion and thats my bias. i want to be a geneticist.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 10:42:13 PM by rottingspinalcord »

rottingspinalcord

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 11:05:16 PM »
my biggest thing i can convey to u here and hope u get from my existance is if your going to be wasteful have a good idea behind it and plan to achieve it. and find ways to get around the semi manageable problems that way ull have thoose taken care of an can pay more attention to the bigger problems in life. like all the strings pulled in the last election that got bush to stay in the white house. its all there but the media keeps u from finding the ambition to find the legal documentation of it. i am tryiong to live RE to get rid of that $#|+ty electric bill, heat my own water wit small homemade passive heater, VERY HOMEMADE, only used for my lab/room. i could write about this for eternity but never ever get all of my thoughts down as they progress as electrons and neurotransmitters in my brain, they go too fast.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:05:16 PM by rottingspinalcord »