Author Topic: Memorial day 2005  (Read 577 times)

whirlybird

Memorial day 2005
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:11:40 AM »

An open letter.

Not just another public holiday

It's a time to remember those that fell in the many conflicts .Even those on your own soil..

Those that did their duty and returned. And those that are still in harms way.

As allies we have been involved in many conflicts together mostly not of our own choosing.

You have your memorials, Mt Rushmore and Arlington to name but a few.

We have our own memorial day and on that day a great feeling of national pride is evident.

I have no doubt that over the years there would not be many families that have not been affected in some way by these past and current events.

Spare a thought on the day for all those that did their duty and paid the ultimate price.

And for those that are here I offer you the last lines of the ANZAC prayer.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:11:40 AM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: Memorial day 2005
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 07:38:01 AM »
The Best to you
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 07:38:01 AM by jimjjnn »

Reb Bacchus

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 10:01:54 AM »
As a vet I appreciate your comments.  "Absent comrades" means more each year.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:01:54 AM by Reb Bacchus »

Nando

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 10:05:51 AM »
The best to you

A prayer for those fallen Heroes that have kept us free.

A prayer for those injured Heroes that may still be suffering the pains of their gallant effort for a free country.

A prayer for those affected Heroes that may still be suffering the mental effects of their ordeal to keep us free.

A prayer for those alive Veteran Heroes that fought and fought and fought to keep us free.

A prayer for all those relatives of all Heroes that supported them during that ordeal.

GOD BLESS AMERICA -- the land of the FREE

NANDO

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:05:51 AM by Nando »

TERRYWGIPE

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:38:52 AM »
As I approach my 20th. year in the Army Knowing that many of those that I have trained has been put into harm's way and thanks only to the grace of god all have returned safe. I am glad to find that this day is still remembered for what it was intended. for this I say "THANK YOU"

Sgt. Terry W. Gipe

B Co. 28th. Sig. Bn.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:38:52 AM by TERRYWGIPE »

richhagen

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 02:21:17 PM »
Happy holiday.  I never served in the armed forces, but have often wondered what it must have been like in war time.  My father was in the army at the end of WW2 but never saw combat, the war ended with the A-bombs before we invaded Japan.  I had an uncle who was in the navy at Pearl Harbor and throughout the war in the Pacific.  He passed away about 25 years ago and never really talked about it.  I think I would have been scared to death to have landed at Normandy or on Gallipoli in the first world war.  I would like to think I would have done my duty though.  But, foremost I would hope that whenever possible, war can be avoided, but that if it can not, then that all civilized nations will come to the aid of each other to end the conflict quickly and with as little tradgedy as is possible.  Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 02:21:17 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

georgeodjungle

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 05:17:06 PM »
thank you

and lets remember.........
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 05:17:06 PM by georgeodjungle »

nanotech

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 07:38:37 PM »
As another vet that served two tours in the 1st Gulf war, this day and November 11th are the most important to me out of each year (next ot the wife's birthday and our anniversary of course...)

A couple times today I found myself saying a little prayer that all our servicemembers come home safe.

I also found myself thinking about all those "still on patrol" and saying a quiet Thank You to them for thier ultimate sacrifice.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 07:38:37 PM by nanotech »