Author Topic: Central USA get together  (Read 358 times)

nothing to lose

Central USA get together
« on: August 02, 2005, 09:05:59 PM »
I love fun, Travel, seeing whats other are doing etc..

If I plan out a get together for South Central MO. North Central AR. who's close by that would like to drop in and have fun? Visitors from far away also welcome too of course.

Bringing any type of projects for a show and tell would be great, but not required.

I am thinking free of course for the gathering. Maybe camping for those with tents or motor homes etc..

Cookout or such maybe on a Friday/Saturday night. Nice bond fire at night.

I am thinking a weekend event. Maybe somewhat like a craftfair for those with projects to show, free booths or whatever. Just all forum folks and families.

Got lots of ideas to make it a fun weekend.

Who all would have an interest in this and might be able to make it?

Got anything you would want to bring to show?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 09:05:59 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: Central USA get together
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 03:10:51 PM »
Oh and if we do this, I may have various tools/equipment on hand and you could bring your own if wanted if wanting to work on projects over the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 03:10:51 PM by nothing to lose »

Daggs

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 03:15:12 PM »
If you're gonna burn bonds, mind if I have them?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 03:15:12 PM by Daggs »

MelTx

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 05:13:45 PM »

About late october when the leaves turn color is a nice time to camp.Not too hot and most of the mosquitoes have gone south.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 05:13:45 PM by MelTx »

Chagrin

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 06:50:25 PM »
Maybe someone could bring you some decent humor :P :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 06:50:25 PM by Chagrin »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 07:09:52 PM »
Sounds pretty good to me.

We will probably be coming from North Texas or East Texaa.

What kind of projects would be good for show-and-tell?

I think I will have a trailer mounted Solar Boiler running by then.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 07:09:52 PM by Phil Timmons »

nothing to lose

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 07:44:10 PM »
"What kind of projects would be good for show-and-tell?"

Any kind of do-it-yourself stuff really that you think some-one else might be interested in looking at. Various blades, solar boiler, homemade solar panels, gennies, ac-dc conversions, sterling engines, little steam engines, etc.. Pretty much anything we talk about on the board and is portable enough to bring.

Even store bought stuff of interest or novelty like a handheld Sterling engine running from your hands heat like sold on e-bay :)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 07:44:10 PM by nothing to lose »

veewee77

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 08:15:29 PM »
Count me in!

I'll be there if finances allow!

I'll try to bring my solar cooker and make chili or something!

Doug

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 08:15:29 PM by veewee77 »

pyrocasto

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 10:57:36 PM »
If only it wasnt over 500 miles from here...

I hope this one turns out great, as did our gathering here in NC. The SEE Expo here in town is coming up the end of Aug so I hope to meet some more of you, or just see some old buddies there. I'll post about it soon.

Good luck guys and have fun. ;-)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:57:36 PM by pyrocasto »

richhagen

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 01:48:59 AM »
Hi NTL, depending upon when it is I would try to make it.  I have family in the St. Louis area, so from there it would be just a hop, skip and a jump to your place.  I've been so busy with 'work' and the apartment stuff, that all of my projects are woefully behind.  It would be great to meet a bunch more of the folks from here.  The highlight of my year has been my trip out west by the Dan's and the mountains.  I'd take another trip even if it was only half as good and at twice the expense in a heart beat.  Seems that all I've been doing since I got back has been working, and not on the projects I would like to work on.  It seems like a lot of things are coming together with all of the new leases and construction/maintenance tasks, so I should be able to take some time soon for my projects and a trip.  Rich
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 01:48:59 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 12:15:02 PM »
Being in St. Louis.

You can count me in. I'm hoping to see some of those famous gennys on here.

It'll afamily affair for me, if the wife can get away from school., if not then just two and the old truck.

I'll bring the portable still, won';t have time to cook anything, but can add to the show and tell. Gotta be a lot more fun than sitting in the hot sun at the chili cook-off in early Sept. Early Oct. does sound like the best time.

Let me know what and where. I can bring spares of NiCds and the (sorry Zub) stepper motors:-))

Norm: You gonna be down for it? I'd like to see those coffee cans in action.

I'll put in a request for some decent wind speeds:-))

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 12:15:02 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

morgan5152

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 04:39:51 PM »
 I would like to come if y'all have me. I will be back from the war zone by then and I bought a dual-axial kit from Ed (windstuff now) and if there is any of you who are familar with building these I will have questions. I am down in central Arkansas so it is an easy ride. Morgan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 04:39:51 PM by morgan5152 »

OPEC BUSTER

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 07:08:11 PM »
Morgan, you surely will be the Guest of Honor!!

I will most likely attend, depending on the time. I live in the Atlanta area but I own some land near Doniphan Mo. which is on the Ark.-Mo. state line a little east of the central part! So I won't be to far from friends & family! NTL, just let us know date & place!

Otis

« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 07:08:11 PM by OPEC BUSTER »

richhagen

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 10:36:54 PM »
I've been wanting to have a look see at Ed's mill kit.  His kits are usually pretty thoughtful.  I'm sure most anyone going would be willing to lend a hand to get it up and spinning.  I've been trying to finish off a machine that will make blades to fit it.  Rich  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 10:36:54 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 07:16:59 AM »
Otis;

If you have land in Donpihan, we need to talk. I am a transplant from Poplar Bluff.

Cane Creek parts. Still have family there, uncle's ( recently passed away) papa settled to are with about 300 acres and a whole bunch of cattle. They were the ones who taught me 'shine'n. Our oldest is over in Augusta.

Come on up.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 07:16:59 AM by Bruce S »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 07:20:06 AM »
Morgan;

We'll toast your safe return. You down in the Army base there in Arkansas? Younger brother had to go stay after his return.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 07:20:06 AM by Bruce S »

morgan5152

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 02:23:34 PM »
 I am a reservist, I am due back the third week of Sept and should be home before the first of Oct. I was called up to serve with a unit out of New York City. I have been lurking on this board for most of the time I've been overseas. Been interested in RE since I lived with my father in Humboldt county, CA. That area seemed to be a hub of Back to Earthers' Many of our Neighbors had homebuilt systems. I don't have much knowledge myself, but I am sure willing to listen and learn! Will be standing by to hear about the date and place. Morgan
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:23:34 PM by morgan5152 »

nothing to lose

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »
"but I own some land near Doniphan Mo. which is on the Ark.-Mo. state line a little east of the central part!"

Hmmm, maybe 45 minutes east of the central part :)

You get to your place your real close.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 03:48:28 PM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 04:01:09 PM »
Ok, sounds like there is an interest in this then :)

I'll start working on the plans for it and getting things together. I have alot of things in mind, but what all I can get done in time is questionable. Should be alot of fun for everyone that can make it here.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 04:01:09 PM by nothing to lose »

veewee77

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 06:10:31 PM »
Where in central AR?

I live in southwest AR. . .

Doug

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 06:10:31 PM by veewee77 »

morgan5152

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 11:52:50 AM »
Doug, Right now were in Hot Springs Village. Our house is on the market and we hope to be able to find a place with 4-10 acres. Looks like you can get more acres up out of Springfield, MO. So we have been looking around there also. Morgan
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 11:52:50 AM by morgan5152 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 01:26:22 PM »
NTL;

Just let us know what we can do to help. Our youngest son is brining up his truck from Ky when he leaves for the big sand box in early Oct.otherwise I have my old F100 ; so I'll have a way to help haul a tralier of stuff if need. The truck will have an old camper shell so if I need to bring anyone  in that can only make it to StL no problem.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:26:22 PM by Bruce S »

nothing to lose

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 01:35:09 AM »
Hmm, You got me interested in the feul again as you know. Might be a thought, free 1/2 tank of feul for those attending :)

A 50/50 mix, we supply 50, they supply the other 50, if they want to try new things on the way home.

Not sure about that idea, could be a thought perhaps, maybe not? Perhaps an interesting idea though to think about if I get mine fired up soon.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 01:35:09 AM by nothing to lose »

OPEC BUSTER

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 07:43:36 AM »
Sorry about the delayed response guys, Bruce & NTL I was raised up in the NE corner of Ark on the missippi river which is about 120 miles from Doniphan Mo.

I bought the land (97Acres) because I like the area and wanted some retirement property. Maybe I can put a wind genni up on a high spot someday. Meantime I'll try to do it here in Jefferson Ga.(Atlanta area).

It sure would be nice to visit you fine people! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it! I need to check things out up there anyway.

I don't have any RE projects started but it won"t be to much longer.I 'm almost through with a major energy efficiency remodel. wiring, insulation,walls,ceiling,

windows,doors,floors,plumbing,everything but the outside brick and framing!

Hope to see you there!

Otis

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 07:43:36 AM by OPEC BUSTER »

nothing to lose

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 01:06:09 AM »
Well sorry to say, but I will not be doing the get together I was planning for next month.

Due to the storm and problems down south our area as well as so many others are being flooded with storm victoms. Unfortunatly I will be canncelling my plans for the get together and doing what I can to help out with other matters of somewhat more importance than my party plans.

Perhaps when things get back to more normal we can do it. Maybe in the Spring next year?

I keep seeing those daul rotor choppers fly over and I wonder just how far north they are moving people anyway? My Daughter said she's met 3 kids from the storm area that entered her school this week already. Don't know how many are actaully here, but several hundred or more are just a few miles south of us that I know of already.

This is the AR. MO. border here, and I see the banana choppers still heading north beyond us.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 01:06:09 AM by nothing to lose »