Author Topic: Advertising on fieldlines  (Read 797 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Advertising on fieldlines
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:18:47 PM »
I've had a lot of emails from folks saying were 'crazy' not to put a few ads on our websites.  We've always resisted that sort of thing but after doing a bit of research and talking with other folks we're inclined to try it - it could go a long ways towards  covering costs associated with these sites.

Google adsense is kind of nifty - not perfect - but it does a pretty good job of looking at the content of a page and putting up appropriate ads, sometimes it actually brings up good stuff!  If we do this on fieldlines it'll probably just be another box on the right side of the screen with 3 or 4 small text ads in it.

I don't want to do anything that clutters up the site or stands out too much.

I'm curious for feedback/opinions about it.  Also curious if anybody out there knows much about the google adsense program (I only know a little - I've been reading about it and I've tested it on one page: http://otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

Any thoughts/opinions?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:18:47 PM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Advertising on fieldlines
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:54:37 PM »
i see nothing wrong with that.

very unobtrusive, go for it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:54:37 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »
It's the flashy, twirly junk that bugs me, like you see on MSN and Hotmail.  Google is more discrete, so I wouldn't mind.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:55:29 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

whatsnext

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:56:01 PM »
I would be fine with it. If you want a taste send me an email and I'll send back a gmail invite. They may not be even needed anymore. The ads are very unobtrusive as you 'learn' to just ignore them and I sometimes find it humorous which words the computor keys on to place the ads.

John...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:56:01 PM by whatsnext »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 12:58:27 PM »
aaaaa errrr

i ment to say , it dont stand out too badly :)

lol
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:58:27 PM by willib »

Stonebrain

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »
I think this board some kind helps your business.

Seems a fair deal to me.

Advertisement is not the same thing.

I consider it as pollution.

I put my tele away because of this,I only buy

newspapers without advertisemenrs(not much choise)

Ask yourself where is that money coming from.

Well, it's mainly coming from poor people

whose mind got manipulated for ripping them

off.

There's no free lunch

But it's your site and it's up to you.

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:32:30 PM by Stonebrain »

richhagen

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
The ads wouldn't bother me too much.  You have to cover the costs.  I'm more worried about this multitiered internet thing Congress is debating that would allow Telcoms to send data faster for 'preferred customers' (defined as those that pay) over there lines, at the expense of other internet sites.  That seems like a bad idea and bad for innovation.  It would be like taking half or more of lanes on a roadway and turning them into restricted lanes that most web sites won't be able to use.  You'll get your CNN video fast (if they pay), but your Otherpower more slowly.  Non profit, or smaller startup companies sites would load more slowly as they wouldn't be able to pay the additional fees.  Rich
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:32:44 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:54:44 PM »
DanB;

I am not really an advocate of ads but since they are a fact of life in this corporate world I see no real problem

Just avoid the ones that blink and move and I won't complain too much.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:54:44 PM by TomW »

windstuffnow

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 01:55:44 PM »
  Personally, I'm so numb with advertizing I would never notice it was there.   You can advertize all you want, I won't see it.  

As long as it mild and doesn't contain a page full of pop up windows, tracking cookies out the butt and a non reversable back button.   All of the above simply brings me to the brink of total anger.   Once I visit a site like that It simply goes on my black list and I never go back.  Passive advertizing is fine, agressive advertizing on the other hand will never get my attention.

Just my personal peeve....

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:55:44 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:58:01 PM »
Interesting point and thankyou for those comments.  This board surely helps are business a bit - but it's not significant in that respect - it is the biggest burden on our servers and bandwidth though and costs the most to keep alive of any of our sites.  This board is here mostly because we think its fun - not really to help our business because it really doesnt have much impact there.  

Ads are often like polution - I know what you mean... I dont watch television partly for that reason.  I think most television is there for the sake of making you watch ads.  But they do have their place you have to admit... without them, you wouldn't find lots of things you were looking for.  I think half the people that buy magazines like Home Power and such get them just to see ads for new products.  I've been on the other side of it all too (still am -every month) - in order to bring customers to our business we have to adverstize, most businesses do.  That includes paying google to advertize for us on the web - ads in magazines etc.

We'll probably test it out on here soon - depending on how well it filters out 'garbage' and how folks here feel about it.  I appreciate your feedback though - it's exactly the reason I posted about this.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:58:01 PM by DanB »

Stonebrain

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
 But they do have their place you have to admit... without them, you wouldn't find lots of things you were looking for.

Ok,I admit.

I had a look at your "testpage"

It is not as bad as i feared.Seems reasonable.I even nearly opened one :)

These kind of things allways start reasonably,but get out of control

later on.

I hope you put limits, and be ready to stop it before it get out hand.

The fear I have,by that time you just need the money and don't have anyway

to go back.That's the way things are going these days.

Still think this is a great board,

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:36:27 PM by Stonebrain »

whatsnext

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:47:29 PM »
Stonebrain, If the ads bothers you so just get a copy of Mozilla Firefox and learn to make them go away. If all of us ignore the ads Google will know and stop paying the Dans to place them.

Jojm..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:47:29 PM by whatsnext »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »
DanB;

I have gmail, and I find there ad-to-mail boxes to be one of the least intrusive.

There have been time while web-searching that they have had the "otherpower.com" website as a spot, so I'd say go for it.

Our company with me in the meeting just sent them a "no thank you" letter, but was not due to the nature of their biz but ours.

If it gets too bad you can always optout.

Off-Topic, but have you thought of mirror servers not directly located at home base?

I have in the past hosted a mirror for a friend who is a Linux guru and would be more than willing to mirror for the forum.

Let me know and I can give you the specifics of my old HP-netserver system if you like.

I would hate to see such a great resource start having advertisement in the banners. I would go as far as too PAY a annual dues if necessary to keep this site from having those D#^^&m ads off here.

My 1/2c

Bruce S  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:54:28 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 03:07:07 PM »
these are the ads Dan is talking about ,

no blinking ,no moving, no popups

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:07:07 PM by willib »

Stonebrain

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 03:14:26 PM »
I have mozilla,I think it must be the same as firefox

I didn't find the option.Can you tell me where it is?

Just in case...

Thx,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:14:26 PM by Stonebrain »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Bandwidth and dialup.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »
Note that web advertisements generally assume broadband rather than dialup connections.  So they are usually designed with pretty pictures or large animations, to improve their impact.  As a result they can be large and take a long time to load on a slow line.

Alternative energy users - including both the actual buyers of the products you sell and the experienced users who provide helpful postings and answers to questions - tend to live in remote locations where only dialup is available.  So adding ads is likely to affect them adversely - just as the large pictures did so recently.

When making a business decision on this you need to weigh the increased revenue from the ads against the potential loss of business from users who never get "hooked" by the BBS - due to their own difficulty in browsing it, or due to the loss of help from experienced RE users who might bail out.  The former is easy to quantify, the latter much more difficult.

(Even when evaluating just revenue from the ads you need to consider whether your user base is sufficiently download-time sensitive that your community may collapse - or migrate elsewhere - if page viewing becomes too painful.)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:58:50 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 04:04:20 PM »
no THANKS..

great site as is..if it aint broke don"t fix it..

homebrew right..just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:04:20 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

pepa

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »
dan, this is a great board and we trust your judgement simply because you feel as we do about re and what this sight has done to educate other people about re. please do what you have to to do to keep it going. thanks pepa
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:07:00 PM by pepa »

commanda

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »
I actually went & looked at your test page. Plain text with no graphics and no blinking, etc. I don't see a problem with it.

I see the ultimate solution as a subscription service for the regular users, which turns off the google ads. Might need another sweetener in the pot, don't know what though.

I presume wondermagnet.com is set up for credit card payments over the net? Just need one more boolean field in the database for the user (subscribed yes/no) and an "if" statement in front of the google-ad code.

Amanda

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:30:31 PM by commanda »

force9BOAT

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 04:39:08 PM »
I think it sounds like a good idea.  Would help insure the board can continue.  The people running this board deserve some compensation.

Rob

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:39:08 PM by force9BOAT »

jaysicle

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »
I think it is a win-nil-win, and don't mind the idea.

Advertisers feel they are getting good coverage / placement.

Visitors are intelligent/eager and take them for what they are.

Site gets some help with costs.

This site is one of the most fun and informative that I've ever seen, and I have no problem with the type of ads you have shown as samples.

Thanks for being so tactful with us.  

-Jayson-

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:40:51 PM by jaysicle »
Marble cake is hard on the teeth.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Bandwidth and dialup.
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 04:49:12 PM »
Yes - I wouldn't have any flashing or movies or graphics/pictures of any kind.  Only plain text - so it wont have any real affect on dial up connections.

Basicly (and Im offering up more info here than I should) - our business is pretty break even.  The products we sell serve to keep a few folks in a living and sometimes things get tight.  This forum and otherpower.com started out mostly as a fun venture (it still is) but it gets enough traffic now that running a few text ads on it (basicly ) would make a significant difference for us I think.  Especially otherpower.com - it gets significant traffic.  This site (Fieldlines) is fairly busy and there is a fair amount of cost involved in keeping it running.  So that's my thinking.  I don't think it will be all that noticable - most likely it would just be another little box at the right side of the screen.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:49:12 PM by DanB »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 05:00:51 PM »
thats a very good thought...

I would never charge a subscription for this though.  If it were easy though  - I could see having ads that only non-members see.  Most of our traffic here is by folks who are not users.  First we'll most likely just put them up such that everyone sees them and keep them small/out of the way - but Ill look into having them only show to folks who are not members.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:00:51 PM by DanB »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »
Letsee, if everyone responding to this story gives you X click-throughs how soon would you be able to afford a new pair of workboots for Dixie?

If you could keep the ads in a darker color then your sites' font & no strobing dayglo gifs go for it, though the tracking could be embarassing when we show off your website on our home computers and the ads' fuzzy logic have nailed our weaknesses... Viewing another persons photo albums and having 5 ads for septic field rehab and basement water-proofing pop up made me wonder if they (thus their pix audience) had been targeted via their referring website info, etc...

-

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:11:28 PM by DanG »

Murlin

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 05:40:32 PM »
Not a problem here....It would sure save me alot of ink staned hands refilling muh printer cartrages up....

Been printing articles like crazy, for fear of not knowing....

This site is priceless Dan.....the information within should be put in a book...

I would hate for this site to ever go down....

Murlin teh information junkie....

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:40:32 PM by Murlin »

Infinity Steel

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »
I have no problem with anything that does not try to ...........

1. install software on my machine, so it can flash a distracting ad at me.
  2. is an annoying pop up.

The prefferable thing would be for you to also do some advertizing- so you can sell more products, and drop your overall prices a bit.....wholesale bulk always is more profitable.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:44:24 PM by Infinity Steel »

zubbly

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »
hi DanB!

your site, your decision.

only suggest you keep your finger on it so what i call junk (products like the air-x and crappy misleading products) are not advertised here, so people don't get mislead because of the honest nature of this site.

i would prefer not to see any advertising at all.  i would also be very happy to offer a yearly fee to be a member of this site, to help offset the costs here (hope no one shoots me for saying that)

do what you have to, most of us will accept it.

zubbly

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:49:29 PM by zubbly »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 06:08:32 PM »
 Go head and sell things I don't think you'll find a monoscopic head in the bunch .

If it's not usefull you'll probably get ragged on . I think you should consider an e magazine cosely kin to your mrea activities .
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:08:32 PM by tecker »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 06:33:40 PM »
danb, please do whatever you need to do to keep the sight going . i feel i  owe you a lot for all the knowege  ive gained here .
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:33:40 PM by electrondady1 »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
I have it on good authority that a book is in the works. From what I've seen it is going to be very good!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:54:07 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

kenl

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 08:19:36 PM »
 It's your board and you put a lot of work into it giving free advice and inspiration to all of us. I really enjoy the threads and the advice given by everyone. I find nothing wrong with putting ads on your site if it helps keeps this web site available to the masses. Thanks for making your knowledge and experience open sorce to us all. kenny
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 08:19:36 PM by kenl »
seemed like a good idea at the time

veewee77

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 09:30:26 PM »
Hi Dan!

In my opinion, those ads are small, and unobtrusive so I'd let them stay.

I do like that this is a free resource for us RE enthus's out here and if that brings in enough revenue to hel defray the costs to keep it running (and free), let 'er fly!

Doug.

P.S. I use Google for their search engine because it is not plastered with ads such as the other's are.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:30:26 PM by veewee77 »

KEG

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 09:38:01 PM »
Hi Yall

Just my thouts I found fieldlines and other power six mouths ago and fell in love with it and the Idea of RE so if an add puts a little money in the pockets of thos that run this site, please proseed and do it, you have a good thing here and it should be rewarded with compensation!  Dan love your work.

Kevin

Hurry twice as fast and it will only take half as long.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:38:01 PM by KEG »