Author Topic: Poll; should we change forum software  (Read 1032 times)

FishbonzWV

Re: Poll; should we change forum software
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 05:26:45 AM »
I'm with you woof!

It's the only thing lacking.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 05:26:45 AM by FishbonzWV »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

la7qz

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2007, 06:54:37 AM »
And....

What is correct spelling? The English spelling, the American spelling?

And....

I have never ever come across a spell checker that knows every word in my vocabulary.

So, will it prevent me from posting if I'm using correctly spelled words that are not in the spell checker's dictionary? OK, so I could teach it the word, but what happens if people start teaching it misspelled words or if I use a word where I'm unsure of the correct spelling and the suggestions made by the spell checker don't make sense.

And....

What about names, or cases where I want to tell the community what the Norwegian, Turkish, German or Spanish word for something is?

Owen

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:54:37 AM by la7qz »

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2007, 07:22:36 AM »
I agree with Tritium, cnczone works well.

One of my biggest gripes with the current software here is that the search capabilities are very poor.

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:22:36 AM by dlenox »

domeguy

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2007, 07:32:08 AM »
I'm not an expert on forum software by any means.  This is the only forum where I participate.  I don't have a problem with the software with one exception.  Somebody else brought up the idea of using software that allowed wiki.  If the information here could be managed in a wiki structure (and I don't know how that would happen) the information in this forum would be much more accessible.

-Lee
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:32:08 AM by domeguy »

finnsawyer

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 09:06:50 AM »
Kurt, one thing that annoys me about this site and others occurs at Log-in.  You have to fill two fields to get on, one for user name, and one for password.  So, why can't the genius programmers make it so that after typing in your name you hit "Enter" and you are moved to the second field.  Why do they make it so that you have to grab the mouse and click on the new field.  It's like you have a choice?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 09:06:50 AM by finnsawyer »

fungus

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 09:18:24 AM »
finsawyer - just press 'tab' to do that.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 09:18:24 AM by fungus »

finnsawyer

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 09:42:42 AM »
Really?  That may work, but doesn't seem to be very smart programming.  I have noticed that hitting "tab" can cause odd things to happen when hitting it by accident, but it never occurred to me that hitting it would advance to a new field.  I'll give it a try.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 09:42:42 AM by finnsawyer »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »
And it can be set to fill in the password by itself.

G-
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:29:41 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

vawtman

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »
Im puter stupid and did'nt know what Scoop was until a couple days ago.I like this setup. However,it would be nice if it could size pics automatically somehow.

Its not broke on my end.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:42:51 AM by vawtman »

thefinis

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »
I will add a third to Woofer's wish that we could bring the threads with the newest comments to the top of the list. It is one of the things I know would make our editors life easier because they are constantly asking folks to go back to an older thread and post there instead of starting a new one. It is my number one complaint about this software.

My number two problem is trying to come up with a good search that isn't too general. Sometimes it takes a lot of looking through pages to find the pearl of info I wanted. With the hotlist and adding bookmarks at least I can keep much of what I find where I can find it again.

Okay number 3 isn't really a problem maybe a suggestion. The links at the bottom of the otherpower.com pages if shown on the forum might help newbies/everyone find much of the information that keeps getting asked for. There is so much info already there that seems to get overlooked by folks looking for info here.

Truthfully if posting to a thread would bring it to the top I would be happy as a hog in a turnip patch. I really don't see much other reason to change.

Finis

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:32:05 AM by thefinis »

bob golding

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
i consider myself resonably intellegent but dylslectic i know i cant even spell dyslectic properly. i doesnt bother me over much. what we are trying to do here is desmininate shared knoledge not run a course on speaki proper english. the important bit is being precise in what we are trying to discuss. that is what takes the time to get right. when i was at univerity it used to bug me that i couldnt spell. didnt reaaly affect my grades except in programing which is a bitch when you are dislectic.

keep it as it is i say.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 01:40:46 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
Thats a behaviour of the browser, be it IE or Firefox or whatever. Enter is used to submit the current form that has the focus, so by hitting enter you are submitting the form with only the first form field filled. Tab is reserved to move to the next field in the tab order. There is nothing the Scoop programmers can do about this, its just a standard way of processing a web form since the early 1990's.

Now if they could just find a way to disable the caps lock key. Most of my keyboards have the Caps Lock key ripped out!

Glenn

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 02:15:14 PM by gizmo »

veewee77

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 06:01:14 PM »
JUST LEAVE IT THE HEQQ ALONE!

JMHO - YMMV.

Doug

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:01:14 PM by veewee77 »

domwild

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »
The only bug I found: If the headerline is too long and one replies, the post gets rejected, so one has to shorten the existing headerline. Otherwise perfect!

Amanda,

Great to read the word "fora"! Did you do Latin? Forum, fora, antenna, antennae, octopus, octopi, applepus, applepi?

Regards,

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:57:38 PM by domwild »

americanreman

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »
That is a huge problem and one I brought up in another thread. Any good board bumps an active thread to the top, without that capability the community loses awareness and stifles growth.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:27:04 PM by americanreman »

jonas302

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »
don't you guys use the recent activity section anything thats posted is up to read there
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:30:29 PM by jonas302 »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2007, 07:24:50 PM »
Vawtman,

There is a way to do this.

"Im puter stupid and did'nt know what Scoop was until a couple days ago.I like this setup. However,it would be nice if it could size pics automatically somehow.

Its not broke on my end.vawtman"

When you insert a picture(into a posting from your photo uploads) an html tag is written for you with scoop. If you 'fiddle around' with that html code, you can get your picture to display sized properly. The problem is, that most users out there, will import a raw 'huge' picture into there photo uploads. this is why the function is there. Yes, its very difficult to work with this, and get spot on the right size without any grain-ing in the picture, as it posts in the posting.

I do fumble around with the html somewhat, and get my photos to go into a posting exactly as they appear in my photo gallery.

I cant say exactly how I do this, TomW has pointed out some good reasons, why not to.

When I load a picture in my photos, its generally less that 50k in size. I use image composer save the file for the web and it puts it in jpg format. I can see how large the picture is at 100% in image composer before I save, and get what I want, in an 8" by 5" size. Yes you can go wider than 8" to like 10" and the picture is real big. but when the html is fiddled with, and the picture would actually measure 32" across, its no fun. Basically it can make the post unreadable(because all the typing spreads out). This can easily happen if a raw picture from a camera is not edited for size and saved, then exported to scoop.

I have alot of picture's in my photo uploads, but I take care, to maintain as less disk space as possible, for all my picture's. If your doing that, you should know how to fiddle with the html for insert picture. The pictures do come out really sweet.  :)

Woof,

"I really like the forum software that puts messages with new comments at the top of the list. Any message can become active again if comments are being added to it. Some messages even end up perpetual with that system. Each message has a 'Read New Posts' button that is real helpful.wooferhound"

You can easily do this now, Below are an example of the setting one can use to view scoop. Such a 'nested display'

If you mess around with these settings, you will be able to view the forum the way you want. Take a closer look at the bottom of your screen when you are veiwing posting's, while logged in. Besides, you can always change it back to nested, and all the other settings. -These are the settings I use to view the forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display: Nested^        Sort: Highest Rated First ^  Oldest First ^  [ Change]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JW

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:24:50 PM by JW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 01:23:58 AM »
I have a button on my browser go straight to the 'recent activity' view: I'd be lost without it!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:23:58 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

alibro

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »
If you used Firefox instead of Evil Explorer you would have an automatic spell cheker
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:05:54 PM by alibro »

feral air

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »
One word; wiki.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:00:16 PM by feral air »

feral air

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
There's a recent activity page? Link?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:50:56 PM by feral air »

jonas302

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 08:14:23 PM »
on the right side of your page under menu a great way to see everything new even if the original post is very old
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:14:23 PM by jonas302 »

bundick

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2007, 12:32:09 AM »
As a brand new guy to this forum, but a seasond contributor to some other forums, I'd say this Software you have is too confusing.

My vote would be to change it.

I'd also like to say that if the Financial burden to change is too tough, we'll learn to put up with what you have.

Bundick
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:32:09 AM by bundick »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2007, 10:13:25 PM »
Hi,

I contribute extensively on two forums ("fora" actually).  This one, and Eng-Tips.  Eng-Tips has a very easy-to-use interface that keeps active stuff on top, allows rating of users' inputs, and sorts through the threads where you've participated so that you can quickly stay on top of the discussions you're still carrying on.  I wouldn't be surprised if you must pay through the nose to license that kind of software.

Although I prefer the format and usability of Eng-Tips, I accept the scoop system here, because, as Tom says, it suits the "blunt edge of high technology" philosophy that is trumpeted by the guys living up the mountain.  

But, if you guys do decide to dump scoop, I won't be sad to see it go.  Better searchability - that is all I really want.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:13:25 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

blueyonder

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2007, 06:52:38 AM »
  from this forum i am getting every thing i need

if i wasent then i would be on another forum.

its plain and its simple. but it dos take a wee while to be able to find your way around.  so i am still finding things . in the past i dident understand what i was looking for. thats not scoops fault.

and as i learn  i understand and find more. its all here what we need.

i dont live on scoraig  nor do i live in the most buitifull romote parts that others live in.

i have a great grid supply . im on cable broadband.

but if i was asked if i wanted this site to make a change. then i would ask.

that thay include a section on dumpster diving.

we live in a throw away world.   so its great to see what others can do with a junk motor.  

you cant stop progress . but its this type site that helps others who have no power to be self  suficiant in building there own power supply and getting a old lap top to work

drom a dial up.   this is the most progress man can make to help others.

who needs bells and whistles.  slowly slowly . make things better.

my two cents for today .john.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 06:52:38 AM by blueyonder »

Lumberjack

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2007, 08:50:15 AM »
Vbulletin gets my vote as best forum software.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:50:15 AM by Lumberjack »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Poll; should we change software (BUMP?)
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2007, 05:44:13 PM »
I am 1100% Against Bumping.  Unless the editors do it.

What if someone says "Gas is up to $1.65 a gallon!"  Will it bump is someone asks 5 years later "Where do you live?  Gas is $3.09 here!"

Or "They have solar Solarex panels on sale for $2.35/W with free shipping" could cause confusion.

If someone posts "This is 5 years old, so do not expect "John Doe" to answer." Will that bring it to the top, Again!?!

Will we have to wade through antique posts to get to a story posted last week?

Example:

Royalflushsheri, 23 Dec '07, first post so it's not her fault, asks a question about subterranean homes in a post dated 2 Oct 2004.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/10/1/214432/645

Should she expect an answer from the people she is asking?

The complete list of posters to that thread, and the last date they posted Anything to fieldlines...

Royalflushsheri, 23 Dec '07.

Peppyy, Dec '06.

Judyofthewoods, Feb '06.

Tippy, Jan '06.

Newguy, Jan '06.

Chibear, Sep '05.

Liberty1, Aug `05

Jeep, Feb '05.

Sticalose, Dec '04.

Trophyjim2, Dec '04.

Hrspwr, Dec '04.

Underground renegade, Nov '04.

Zingaro, Nov '04.

I am not picking on Sheri, I simply believe her post should NOT place that story at the top of the list.

It that happens, then everything will be a rehash of the same stuff, by new people. I understand that is what goes on now, but the circumstances, people and questions vary.

Will a top story be a Gig of text, dating back 35 years, starting with "New samarium cobalt magnets are the best magnets available!"?

Take out the crap? Remove the silly questions? Remove the repeated information?

Then fieldlines may just as well be a book or read-only website.

Fieldlines:

Chapter #1- Read the manual.

Chapter #2- Hire someone qualified.

The End.

Just 2 more cents,

G-

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:44:13 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Poll; should we change software (BUMP?)
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2007, 01:23:02 AM »
Hi,

Just as while other board implementations allow a small grace period after submissions for editing typos, some also automatically close threads after a preset time (days/weeks?) to avoid the sort of situation that you bring up.

If Scoop could gain these two features it would be an enormous improvement.

I do really want facts rather than gradient-background-and-avatar eye-candy, and Scoop does well on that front.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:23:02 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »
Why should it be changed?

It works reasonably well.

How much does it cost to run it?

- Hannu

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 12:39:21 PM by hvirtane »

veewee77

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2007, 09:35:23 AM »
The search capabilities of the board are poor, but if you use the "Google Search the Board" you'll find it very extensive and reliable.

Doug

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:35:23 AM by veewee77 »

tominator

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2007, 10:23:04 PM »
ABSOLUTELY! Check out thesamba.com  that format is free and much more intuitive. Not to mention much easier/simpler to understand/navigate etc. etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 10:23:04 PM by tominator »

ConsiderThis

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
I think the free gnu software from ... is it php... is really easy to use, as a forum user.

What you have is a bit confusing to me, but I readily admit that I have a bit of brain injury.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 01:32:51 PM by ConsiderThis »

Projector

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »
I know I'm new here, but would also recommend php over what's here now.  On the editing issue, one board I post to allows you to edit your post even after a response, but tags it as edited.  Another I post to only allows you to edit the post for an hour after the post goes in, after that it's locked.  I also agree with the complaints about this board not moving the newest posted thread to the front, makes it hard to keep track of your own stuff, much less anyone else's.  One last thing, if you go with a new board I'd make cure to limit the number of categories the board is sorted with.  The most useful board I've ever dealt with concerns high performance trucks, and only has three categories.  It has one for on-topic issues, one for off topic issues, and a classifieds section.  Things can get a bit jumbled up, but it's a lot easier to keep track of what's going on even if you post while on the job.  Another board I post to on occasion also concerns high performance trucks, but breaks it down into about 50 different categories.  It's a full-time job to keep up with what goes on there, so I don't post there often.  The limited number of categories also means that you get the widest exposure to your question.  With a large number of categories, there is a limited audience.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:45:22 PM by Projector »