Author Topic: severely offtopic, webpage recommendation  (Read 302 times)

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
severely offtopic, webpage recommendation
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »
some year ago when i had ATT worldnet as my internet provider

it had a webpage development tool that was very easy and intuitive

i am no longer an ATT customer but now a comcast customer, the comcast webpage

tool is no where near as intuitive to work with, at least for me :)

is there anyone here that can suggest software that is PC/windows based that

is quick and easy?  without having to work with html and all sorts of other stuff.

there is a ton of stuff i would like to assemble in one place most of which is applicable here in the windpower game, but i don't want to clutter up an otherwise well run site with all my stuff.

anyway if this is too far off topic or stepping on toes, just tell me "no" and delete,, my intension is not to hijack or offend anyone here.

bob g

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:10:35 PM by (unknown) »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

RogerAS

Re: severely offtopic, webpage recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

deep breath

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Whew.

Ok, I'm not laughing at you Bob. Really I'm not.

I've just spent the past 3 weeks redesigning three commercial web sites from the ground up. Shopping carts and all. New layouts on the standard and secure sides as well as new features and pictures and movies and and... I finished about 3 pm. I can finally have a weekend!!!

I use Adobe GoLive as part of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's been replaced by Dreaam Weaver. CSS and flash rules!! I'll upgrade to Dream Weaver in a few months, when I switch over to a newer OS X version. Adobe software costs a bunch, but compared to Autocad it's cheap.

I used to use a simple little WYSIWYG html editor from Symantec (norton utilities) and still do for fast mock ups now and then. This was called Visual Page. It's so old now you ought to be able to get a copy for zip. Finding it may be a trick. I have a Mac copy, but that does you no good.

Here's a link to check out.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,5325-order,1-page,1-c,htmlauthoring/description.html

I think there are several good basic PC web editors out there, but you're going to have to learn a little html. It's really not all that tough, to put together a basic web site. I have a really complex site set up on my Mac and reference it all the time. Having a web site on a local disk makes bookmarking pages usable.

Anyway, your post touched a worn out html nerve. Another option is to pay someone like me to build and take care of your site. No. I'm too busy and only do commercial work.

Take care Bob, and don't let your closing tags go unslashed!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:57:25 PM by RogerAS »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
well if all you want is an .HTML file to be uploaded and hosted by your hosting service i would suggest downloading and installing SeaMonkey suit by Mozilla the same people who make Firefox. it is a browser a very nice HTML editor and an irc client all in one package and it is free. i used it to make the very simple page about how to connect to the #otherpower irc server that TomW hosts for me  http://oneota.net/~teejaydubya/IRC/chatpage.html

if you want interactive web based website software and hosting probably like you are used to you can try Jacquesm's free drupal hosting http://www.freedrupal5hosting.com/

once you learn how drupal functions you can do amazing things with it.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:16:52 PM by kurt »

zeusmorg

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
 You may wish to try kompoZer  http://www.kompozer.net/  it's multi-platform and decently simple for building web pages. It's wysiwyg based and free.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:46:11 PM by zeusmorg »

Speo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »
Also, a less elegant but handy solution would be to built the pages in Microsoft Word and save them as HTML.  

You have almost all basic functionality you want: tables, hyperlinks, images, fonts, ordered/unordered lists...

Speo

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:59:12 PM by Speo »

imsmooth

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »
Dreamweaver.  You can get copies on Ebay.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:08:56 PM by imsmooth »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »
Web Dwarf has always done more than I needed it to do and it's free!

No html if you don't want but you can still dabble in it.  And it's a WYSIWYG(What You See Is What You Get)program.  If I remember correctly, it leaves a little ad at the bottom corner but it can be removed using the html editor.

I haven't used the newest version.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:04:19 PM by zap »

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 07:00:36 AM »
bob,

there are many that you could choose from, even MS Word has the option of spitting out html.

I have been doing web development for over 15yrs and currently I have been using DreamWeaver to produce my websites.  No matter what you use there is always some sore of learning curve.

dan lenox

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:00:36 AM by dlenox »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:26:58 AM »
well after pluggin around a bit, i think i will just pony up the 21.95 a month to get back on attworldnet!

there sitebuilder is so darn easy to use, basically a wysiwyg/point and click, copy/paste and publish.

i gotta pay to have the site hosted anyway in the end, so i guess that is the direction that makes most sense to me.

thanks guys for your input

bob g

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:26:58 AM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Speo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:01:08 PM »
www.1and1.com is offering domain name registration and hosting of a small web site with included templates for $6/year. They have a web site builder in the control panel once you log in.

Also, they are offering web hosting packages (without domain name registration) for $2/month.

Might worth taking a look at their offer.

Speo  

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:01:08 PM by Speo »

Speo

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 02:14:25 PM »
Sorry, actually is $2/month for 3 months, then it is $4/month.

Speo

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:14:25 PM by Speo »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »
The wife was forced to use 'frontpage'.

She didn't like it at all because she speaks decent html.

However, the non-html speakers like it.

When I asked about simple, her 1st comment was 'word'.  Then something about 'import'.

She likes dreamweaver, but it's not very simple.

I don't know what a 'wysiwyg' looks like, but I think I shot one back in '84.

Tasted like chicken.

G-

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:46:41 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
Hi,

I use FrontPage, and in spite of all the flak it gets, I like it.  Knowing zero about website development, I wrote and maintain a site on FrontPage with several web hundred pages (and several million visitors a year) -- so it can't be that bad :)

But, FrontPage is no more.  Its been removed as part of the Microsoft Office stuff, and replaced by a program called WebExpression (or ExpressionsWeb??).  

Gary

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:13:28 AM by GaryGary »

Deckwench

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 10:12:45 PM »
Just a newbie here, jumping in. I put together a rudimentary html primer to teach my kids and their friends html years ago and they picked it right up. Even if you use a full service web design program, knowing some html can really be helpful.

Take a look at this and see if it makes any sense to you:

http://www.deckwench.com/builder/

If it does, then you might enjoy learning some html.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 10:12:45 PM by Deckwench »