Author Topic: Wind isn't the answer  (Read 894 times)

olvvlo

Re: Wind isn't the answer
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2008, 04:51:18 AM »
Wind may not be the answer, but looking at our own addiction to energy perhaps is!

With America using as much in standby and phantom loads as Australia does in total it's clear to see present wastage is huge.

We have to stop looking at the problem with the viewpoint that we need to meet our current energy needs. Having lived of grid for over two years now, the most striking thing, we learnt was not how much electricity we need to generate but how much we didn't need and still live a modern comfortable lifestyle.

If the human race can transcend this step, as intelligent beings then renewables certainly stand a chance of playing a significant role.

Letting the marketplace dictate the way ahead is to stoop to the most basic element of greed, which is why we are in this mess in the first place.  However having a clear vision of how things could be in tens of years to come might motivate people beyond their pockets.

olvvlo

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:51:18 AM by olvvlo »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »
 I kinda have crossed the line as far as hijacking this thread So while this vehicle is  paused on the side of the road I would like to interject one more video of what is the the other answer ...>The Quandry < . I can't under stand burying waste We are sitting on so many tons of waste  ( the inevitable cost of living )that is another more obvious embarasment  90 percent is separated under ground that is a warehouse of toxic gas and chemical pollutants . The other facet of the water answer is " Thermal Depolymerization "I won't  foul the air with more ramblings but I do think this is exciting and offers hope for the future and hope is important . Here's company that can boot up a system that is localized and profitable . Take a look . I'll return to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtS6K43np9o

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:22:23 AM by tecker »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »
I have a degree in enviromental engineering. Getting rid of sewage sludge is expensive because it doen't degrade past a certain point. Thermal breakdown into fuel oil and gas looks like it would make life a lot easier for cities with limited landfill space.

We burn some garbage here in Broward County, and bury some. It costs so much to truck garbage that they just make a mountain out of it in Pompano. Over resident's objections, the height limit was raised to over 200 feet. The highest natural point in the entire state it only 305 feet (Mount Dora).

It would really be nice to be able to force citiies to get rid of their Mount Trashmores by cooking it down. The carbon black left over can be added to asphalt for roof tar or pavement.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:01:09 AM by dnix71 »

vfarrell

Re: Nuclear isn't the answer
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »
agreed 100% right on tom

to many peep are short sighted and want a quick fix and then let our

children try and clean up the mess, Nuclear is NOT an option,,, IMHO

Vic

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:09:50 PM by vfarrell »

Todd a

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
My brother thinks that as recycling technologies increase, most landfills will me mined for resorces at a proffit and energy savings, not a loss in both money and energy, like most current recycling programs.  Having 3 garbage trucks drive by every house is a huge waste.  One pick-up, one drop off.  Sort it there and use machines and technology to sort and re-use.  We are getting there, but not yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:15:14 AM by Todd a »

Todd a

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »
Poor site selection.  Most large wind turbines should be in an area with very reliable wind.  Northern oceans have very strong winds with class 5 at 50m consistantly.  Yes you can not use just wind power.  Solar is nice as it generates the most electricity when electric use is at the highest, but it is very expensive (about 2x wind power).Wave power is looking better and better each year for some locations.  Realistically we need hydro-electric and nuclear power to form a good portion of the power grid.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:27:47 AM by Todd a »

bzrqmy

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:01:54 PM by bzrqmy »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »
Dispatcherjinn;

I've dabbled in H2 , and would be more than a little interested in reading more about your setup.

Pictures would be nice too.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:42:34 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »
How long would it take for some crafty guy to come up with an "adapter plug"?

I've seen these things for RV's.  I can imaging grandma plugging the 60A RV charger into a 15A circuit with one of these adapters, and... ...hey, why did the lights go out in the house?.

So if you pay a penalty for charging the car at peak hour?  No prob for DIY guys like us, eh?  I'll just unplug the MIG welder here...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:28:35 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

MattM

Re: Wind isnt the ONLY answer..........
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2008, 12:14:17 AM »
China and Vietnam drilling offshore was a myth perpetuated by Dick Cheney to boost his agenda and its been well debunked since.  Just google the terms cheney, lies, and oil.  Cheney and his buddies own a little bit of paper in oil futures.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:14:17 AM by MattM »