Author Topic: A Crude Awakening  (Read 560 times)

scottsAI

Re: A Crude Awakening
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »
Well said sbotsford,

Big projects have a huge suck factor, the money sucks from my pocket into another's pocket often without delivering the promised outcome.

Projects like coal, wood gasification, high altitude winds, methanol etc. are to me an absolute NO, NO.

Smart grid fits into this category. As do many other big projects in the works. If private industry wants to invest in these technologies... fine. Not developed with public money. I wonder if people believe in the free market? Want the actual cost to be passed on to the actual consumer, not to everybody.

Solar for my home, a one time fee works for me! No smart grid needed. Batteries are the weak link, don't count on EEStor, they've been jerking the industry around since 2004 without producing anything.

Most energy comes from the sun, why focus on less efficient technologies? Clearly the down side to solar is the storage required.

Long time ago I calculated: putting a 10ft dia wind turbine on each power line pole going to residential homes, the power could be produced without the power plant! Ok, has many problems, wind is not any more reliable than sun at night! Just kidding.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:00:58 PM by scottsAI »

independent

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »
45 UK gallons is roughly the same as 55 US gallons. Something over 200 litres.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:05:08 PM by independent »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:10 AM »
May just start doing all my math in L instead of US standard.

All the measuring devices I have available (i.e. wife's kitchen stuff) have both.

My biggest part of continuing to try this out is getting the different places to hold on to the 12lbs of coffee ground for me, other people come by and get them to put into worm beds and compost.

1. Worms don't really like the acid of the coffee

2. Compost only really uses the moisture from the grounds not the ground themselves, until the little wormies get hold of getting in there.

My new found oil supply is now going to someones composter :(

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:35:10 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

independent

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
For years i thought (been told) that pouring coffee grounds down the sink is bad. Now i find the opposite is true that it's good because perhaps of the limey water here
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:42:24 PM by independent »