Author Topic: Insane Containment Idea-  (Read 279 times)

BigBoyJoe

Insane Containment Idea-
« on: October 01, 2004, 05:16:37 AM »
check this link, (Open in new window) http://www.mediaspeedbump.com/insane_cont.jpg

The basic idea is to be able to conatin a high voltage, low amperage current in a coil and keep the coil from letting off sparks like crazy in the attempt to see if any new properites can be had from a high voltage/low current coil just like I was trying to see in a previous post of mine.

here are the parts as numbered in the picture.

1. a rod that can carry the magnetic influence of the halbach array connected to the coil.
  2. The (low capacitance) wire itself that will carry the high voltage amount around and around.
  3. A high calibar insulator, perhaps a high density carbon composite, but that wont be enough to hold the sparks alone.
  4. A halback array wrapped around the stem and each electromagnet contacting to each rod to send about the magnetic influence of each electromagnet that will be connected to a high frequency power source. These EM's may need some type of cooling if the arrays need to use more power.

To see any possible new effects, the amount of coil wrapping as seen in the "side view" will have to have even more wraps to ensure a decent chance of seeing something, if at all. This will no doubt be an expensive experiment, That I'm sure of. Maybe it'll be worth it.

But, Will this be enough to hold a high voltage/low current flow of power? Maybe, I'm not sure, if not- maybe this can lead someone in the right direction...

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 05:16:37 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Insane Containment Idea-
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 08:31:31 AM »
I could be wrong, and I do not quite fully understand your question or your picture.  But basicly - youll not store electricity (or contain it) in anything like this that uses normal conductors.  All your energy will vanish into thin air (heat).

You can store some energy in a coil of wire (or a simple solid torroid) made of superconducting material, though not a whole lot - nothing compared to a battery.

With that said...  while your idea is interesting, it's a bit off topic on this board (which is why I'm moving it here in a moment to rants/opinion catagory).  Well put up a new board here soon for the more theoretical stuff, here we're trying to stay focused on 'workable' energy systems.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 08:31:31 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

finnsawyer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 08:43:26 AM »
If this is basically a continuation of your original idea, you can work to higher voltages by taking ac from a number of transformers, rectifying each independently and stacking the outputs.  I.e.  Ten 10,000 volt supplies would give 100,000 volts.  

Maybe you should investigate ion drives, as they require high voltages.  The higher the better.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 08:43:26 AM by finnsawyer »

BigBoyJoe

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 10:49:37 AM »
Yea, this is a continuation of my previous post. The coil would get it's power from a transformer arrangement to get that 250Kv-500Kv low amperage current from a 120v source that this coil will have going through it. I'll try to make a more detailed picuture soon, I'll put another post saying so when I have done so.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 10:49:37 AM by BigBoyJoe »

BigBoyJoe

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 01:00:29 PM »
Ok, the updated image is uploaded and ready for viewing. I hope this clears up the function of the coil.

All thats added is a 120v/10A source being transformed into 500,000V/.001A maybe even less amperage would work better. again the idea is to see if lots of current and some voltage produces a magnetic feild, what would the vice versa produce? maybe the same, but now that I know containing a high voltage/low current flow is difficult, or just hasn't been tried, maybe something new lurks in performing this experiment.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 01:00:29 PM by BigBoyJoe »

BigBoyJoe

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 01:02:55 PM »
Oh yea, one more thing, I want to have the output of the transformer converted from AC to pulsating DC, or even a flat DC current, whatever is easier and or will allow the unit to operate as long as possible without adverse side-effects. I think that's everything, I wish these forums would allow for editing submitted posts. :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 01:02:55 PM by BigBoyJoe »

finnsawyer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 09:31:17 AM »
A possibly cheap source of high voltage supplies would be old crt television sets or computer monitors.  These have high voltage supplies to power the electron beam and they're dc.  If memory serves they are in the 25,000 to 40,000 volt range.  They could also be stacked.  I don't know what the current is.  Remember, though, high voltages are dangerous.  Safety first.  Always.  Also, a capacitor can hold a charge for a long time creating a shock hazard.  Always discharge them before working on the circuitry.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 09:31:17 AM by finnsawyer »

BigBoyJoe

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 12:18:51 PM »
Don't worry, before I even start work on this unit, I'm going to try to find some local electronic/electric enthusiasts to get their help and input. Also I'm gonna need a buttload of money as well, and secure place to construct and test the unit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 12:18:51 PM by BigBoyJoe »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 07:22:20 AM »
finsawyer;

Just want to mention something that may not be well known:

A CRT stores a huge potential for a long time, also. It doesn't much look like a capacitor but it acts like one. Discharge the anode to ground before disassembling or it might bite you. The bite probably won't be lethal but when you jump you could stab yourself or something.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 07:22:20 AM by TomW »