Author Topic: Microgenerator  (Read 211 times)

Burnrate

Microgenerator
« on: December 10, 2004, 07:11:05 PM »
Interesting use of axial generator.

replacement for batteries?

http://www.gatech.edu/news-room/release.php?id=490

Eric

« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 07:11:05 PM by (unknown) »

antw

Re: Microgenerator
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:51:51 PM »
The generator will be turned by a gas-fueled microturbine (or jet), which is still under development.  I wonder how it will be recharged/refueled, and if people will trust having gas in their cellphone next to their head etc.

Also, why are they developing a gas-fueled engine when gas is going to run out in the next 10 or 20 years?

Cheers

Antony

« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 12:51:51 PM by antw »

Burnrate

Re: Microgenerator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 01:53:25 PM »
There are lots of fuels that could be used in these.  Meth. and Eth. would both work.

Whats the stuff in lighter fluid. Maybe GA-tech can get a grant from Zippo.:)

The problems are size and heat. You could probably build a AA battery sized turbine and have some fuel storage the size of two more AA batteries. No clue on consumtion rates.  But watch out putting your fingers near at least a 300*c exhaust!! Can you say exhaust heat disipation system! Might work in a laptop. Might work with a rechargeable battery so it doesn't stay on all the time. I would be willing to carry around a soda can size power pack if it meant I got 20 hours of laptop time to the pint.  Though the FAA might have something to say when I plug my portable GTGen. into my laptop and set it on the meal tray. Oh yeah dont forget the ear plugs. :)

Eric

« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 01:53:25 PM by Burnrate »