Author Topic: what does it take???  (Read 285 times)

stop4stuff

what does it take???
« on: December 02, 2004, 01:08:44 PM »
ok...

my methods are...

not orthodox...

today I think i found a way to increase the DC output from the same AC output.

see:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/12/2/5455/05495

and:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/12/2/105427/353

...both 'stories' were removed from the front page within an haour (more or less) of posting...

WHAT GIVES???

I use Lego to understand what's involved...

...the pricipals remain the same...

I have learned alot from what i have been doing...

...my 5 & 8 year old children have too!!!

My postings regarding a 5% increase in power output have been subjective and I have demonstrated a method of improving efficiency.

So...

What gives???

I'd like to know the criteria for a story appearing and staying on the front page.

Answers, comments AND critism ARE WELCOME.

let the fun begin :))

later,

paul

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 01:08:44 PM by (unknown) »

mlz

Re: what does it take???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 01:14:15 PM »
I can't say, but if some one kept posting a new story on one of my sites, I'd quietly remove the offending story.  Not saying this is the case, but that would be my take on it.  One thing is scoop lets you hotlist stories your really interested in.  So even if it comes off the front page, it's right in my face to check replies.  

Just my 2 cents worth, probably wrong, but... :)  At least I gave it a shot.  

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 01:14:15 PM by mlz »

baggo

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:38:08 PM »
Hi Paul,

Not sure what the problem is but it seems to happen quite often lately. I've been on the site a few times today but did not see your postings on the front page at all. I tend to look under the 'Everything' tab now as well as the front page and quite often come across postings that I would have otherwise missed.

Personally I find your ideas quite interesting reading and certainly would not discount or disparage them just because you use Lego to build prototypes. Quite ingenious in fact. As the saying goes 'from little acorns mighty oaks do grow' (or something like that!)

It think it may have been me who brought up the subject of using Schottky diodes in a post some while back. I'm glad someone else has picked up on the idea as I am sure that the increase in power they give is worthwhile. Keep on experimenting!

John

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 01:38:08 PM by baggo »

JD

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:48:42 PM »
mlz said;

I can't say, but if some one kept posting a new story on one of my sites, I'd quietly remove the offending story.

And I tend to agree. Been reading this site a good long time and one obvious problem seems to be the preponderance of fluff pushing good stories off of the main page.

Paul, can you maybe explain why your stories have some right to front page space? Near as I can tell bitching about it only makes you look petty whining your story deserves prominent display out front.

I also think the owners have stated that nothing gets deleted except for good reason so your stories are probably still somewhere on the site but since I have seen the schottky diode thing discussed here before I won't waste time looking for it.

JD

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 02:48:42 PM by JD »

stop4stuff

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 03:02:15 PM »
"but if some one kept posting a new story on one of my sites, I'd quietly remove the offending story."

agreed...

:))

I'd get upset too...

'cept...

I only reposted (differently) once the story had gone from the front page.

At the end of the day, i don't really care what happens to my stories...

...BUT...

To remove a story from the front page (and away from attention) says 1 of 2 things...

The story is not worthy of attention (accepted... search 'juiced')

...or...

The story has been removed with prejudice (accepted... just own up :)

If there's a 3rd (or more) reason... let me know :)

So...

you peeps in the know...

What's the score (= Give me an answer)?

Reply here or email paul at stop4stuff dot com.

Still having fun... whatever...

paul

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 03:02:15 PM by stop4stuff »

stop4stuff

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 03:33:57 PM »
lol...

when was the last time you saw anything constructive about alternator design changes?

I understand I have No right to front page space...

I got my own site for that ;)

however...

A 5% increase in power output from anything by JUST changing a few cheap components is not to be sneezed at...

JD, I ask you...

Why remove a potentially benificial idea from the view of many casual browsers?

As you have no need to further research schottky diodes perhaps you can help me?

If my ideas (& findings) have been done before and have no use to anyone... perhaps someone would be good enough to tell me straight???

NO whinging, or whining here...

just ideas, questions and a distinct lack of answers!!!

paul

btw... if neone wants me to quit posting...

LET ME KNOW AND I'LL REQUEST TO HAVE MY ACCOUNT DELETED

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 03:33:57 PM by stop4stuff »

monte350c

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 03:46:01 PM »
I (and I suspect a lot of others) have just switched to the "everything" link at the top of the page. I'd rather read it all...

http://www.fieldlines.com/section/_all_

Ted.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 03:46:01 PM by monte350c »

baggo

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 05:37:52 PM »
Hi Ted,

My sentiments exactly. I read every posting on this board, no matter what the subject, as there is always the possibility that I will learn something new. I find some of the postings frustrating because obviously the poster(?) has made no effort to do a bit of research before posting their questions and the subject has been covered many times before.

I have been visiting this board for about a year now and have contributed when I think I may have something to give. I have also learnt a hell of a lot from this board. As has been mentioned before (I won't mention by whom) there are people on this board who are happy to quote theory and shoot down other peoples efforts but have probably never actually built a wind turbine in their lives.

There are some absolute stars on this board- Jerry, Zubbly, the Dans, Windstuff Ed, to mention a few, who are doing all this for the right reasons and with the right attitude.

Sooner or later somebody is going to come up with a revolutionary new design for a wind turbine, whether it be playing with Lego or whatever, which will be far more efficient than the designs that we have at the moment. Long may they experiment!

Rant over, back to the drawing board.

John

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 05:37:52 PM by baggo »

srnoth

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 07:23:04 PM »
Amen.

I too switched my first page to 'Everything'. I think that there are some bugs on the frontpage, for example, if you post in 'Controls', it seems that the posts dissappear from the frontpage after a few minutes. That's why I now go to 'Everything', su that's what I want, everything. Seems unfair that some people will get lots of comments because their post is on the front page, and others get almost nothing because of some bug.

Anyway, got me pretty upset too. It seems that any time you post a complaint about your posts being removed fromt he front page, there are always people who are only too glad to jump in and say abviously your post wasn't good enough, and all that other negative crap. But don't worry :-), it's not that your post is not 'worthy of the front page', more likely no one removed it intentionally, but it was actually a bug.

And so again I say, everyone switch the the 'Everything' page. Display Preferences, and your good to go.

Don't forget to smile,

Cheers,

Stephen.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 07:23:04 PM by srnoth »