Author Topic: a little insurance  (Read 291 times)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
a little insurance
« on: September 20, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »

To be able to support the ramblings of us all I think that a monthly  purchase  from our sponsor is in order . They have opened the door and have held it open for some time now .I will commit to a monthly purchase and challenge you all to do the same, Posting  works and improving the information base as we take up the cause to live efficiently.

As you know there are no free lunches and I  appreciate the site for it's straight line approach to a problem that we all can recognize
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 02:56:00 AM by (unknown) »

jacquesm

Re: a little insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 07:43:47 AM »
did you get a commission deal or so ?

Last I checked a full - dedicated - server is $99 per month at EV1 (it's where I host my stuff), you can run about 50 sites at this level on one such machine.

That being said I'm not ungrateful to the Dans (done my bit of purchasing there already and trust me, it would support this board for quite a while) but I did not notice them putting up any 'Chapter 11' signs and if the board would not be worth it I'm sure they're man enough to ask for a contribution without getting into 'increase sales or you'll lose the board' kind of argument that you are trying to put forth here.

Nobody needs to buy anything to support this board, the discussion here is all the support this board will ever need, by discussing stuff here people will buy product whenever they need, I'm suspecting the preferred supplier will be wondermagnet without you telling them to.

It also attracts outsiders because of the subjects discussed and searches using google, which indirectly leads to more business.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 07:43:47 AM by jacquesm »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 07:51:21 AM »
It's a kind thought - but absolutely not necessary.  We run this board for fun, it helps to answer some folks questions that might otherwise come in the form of email... and if we use it well we all learn quite a good bit!  So please... don't purchase from us, unless there's something we have that you need ;-)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 07:51:21 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 06:34:33 PM »

Not done to get on your good side but , just to allow you to expand your inventory to include more of what we need to press on .I know were all shopping for items to build with and every third question involves a hunt for the tools and materials for building I personally don't find all I need and spend and inordinate amount of time to get what I  do need on top of my busy schedule .As you analyze what is purchased from the group you will naturally make these adjustments and remove any doubt about the direction the board is moving . The challenge stands it's a personal thought I won't process any reaction .

However I did process this remarks from this current bump in the road and an interesting account is forthcoming. Forge on ahead I for one have benefited form the direction you've provided . Friends helping friends and passing on through word of mouth . well done

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 06:34:33 PM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:48:56 PM »

The challenge stands your post is  seemingly anti parallel, So by all means fake it

no building going on at you house you seem to be hovering over the keyboard though. You finished that prop yet?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 06:48:56 PM by tecker »

jacquesm

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 01:05:14 AM »
actually I can control the table by remote from the office :)

And no, the prop is not done yet, and it looks like it's going to take a while, but once the first one is done higher numbers will be quite easy. It's like the difference between making a one off and an assembly line.

Besides that I'm a terrible woodworker !

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 01:05:14 AM by jacquesm »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 02:44:54 AM »

Oh yeah those nylon tie raps ain't gona hang. That stator of yours is gonna get hot as a pancake  and the laminations are going to vibrate apart you can't use loosely compressed unbonded layers  like that, very short sighted. Just an observation
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 02:44:54 AM by tecker »

jacquesm

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 06:56:29 AM »
hm, that's a thought.  I will be coating the lamination with some goo that Zubbly told me to get. Wonder how hot that thing will be in full operation. I've done some testings at 60 Amps 48 V (almost 3KW), but that was without airflow so any temps measured do not really reflect real life.

I figured the dipping goo would hold the thing together...

That could be a problem. Those tiewraps are all over, and pretty much impossible to get back out (there are some layers)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 06:56:29 AM by jacquesm »