Author Topic: Creative Exercise Physiology Testing...with magnets?  (Read 225 times)

bartletj

Creative Exercise Physiology Testing...with magnets?
« on: September 26, 2004, 12:29:20 AM »
Currently, we use propulsive devices on our force treadmill that include horizontal pulling at the center of mass of the body via a climbing harness, a series of pulleys and elastic tubing. We also have a swing assist device that pulls the lower limb through during the swing phase of a run. This 'technology' has been used for different studies on locomotion and gate. As you might guess, the tubing is not a perfect pulling device (stretch etc) and we would like to have a system that can pull in a sinusoidal manner (ie O pull thru ~ 15% of body weight). I thought of the potential of a magnet, that could possibly turn 'on/off' at a given rate, and pull the subject. It's a crazy and crude thought at the moment, but it would be great, almost 'wireless' technology... of course we would need to overcome the problem of a VERY metallic surrounding... treadmill, support beams, hand rails etc... Am I completely crazy and incompetent to have this thought... does anyone see this as plausible, or have some advice on how construction of such a mechanism would be possible... I have a decent knowledge of circuits (not magnets) we built our own duel belt force treadmill, so we have abilities to work with... but, i am a physiologist, not a physicist, so guidance would be greatly appreciated... or just call me CRAZY.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 12:29:20 AM by (unknown) »

E man

Re: Creative Exercise Physiology Testing...with ma
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 01:04:12 AM »
Purple mambo banana pants...sorry dude, WHAT?  Something this off-topic needs pictures ,diagrams...something.  Work with me, people.  I just want angry sea bass with "lasers" on their heads.  We're mechanical not MC-crazy.

Just bantering.

E-man        

« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 01:04:12 AM by E man »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
Re: Creative Exercise Physiology Testing...with ma
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 01:24:16 PM »
Hi,

it is really difficult to understand your description. Could you make a crude

picture of the idea?

- Hannu

« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 01:24:16 PM by hvirtane »