Author Topic: Magnet manufacture  (Read 328 times)

David HK

Magnet manufacture
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:34:09 PM »
I have spent the last half an hour searching the Internet for magnet manufacturers in China. I recall seeing a note on this site of someone trying to find a ready made skewed rare earth magnet set up and of a convenient size to fit on a motor shaft.

Shenzhen is just over the border from Hong Kong and I occasionally make a foray there when the mood takes me. It would not be out of my way to visit any of the magnet makers and see what they produce. This site is typical:-

http://www.ebigchina.com/ebcps/4/ml/0910-1.html

Perhaps Zubbly could help, but if these people decided to produce skewed magnets what would they need to know? Is there any 'favourite' size and type, specifications, a particular brand of motor that is better than others for conversion to RE use and so on?

Comments welcome.

Dave HK

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 10:34:09 PM by (unknown) »

motorhead2

Re: Magnet manufacture
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 05:05:16 PM »
Hi Dave and merry christmas' The skewed arc segment magnets are patented worldwide by Vacuumschmelze.Way too pricey for us re guys and not really that much benefit.Zubblys methods or standard arcs will and are proven to produce good power.It wouldnt hurt to check them out though,maybe im wrong.Good Luck.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 05:05:16 PM by motorhead2 »

dinges

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 05:22:48 PM »
What?!

Can you patent (magnet) geometry ?!

In that case, I'll file a patent for the square, round and cubical ones. While I'm at it, I'll also patent the alfabet and the nrs. 1-10.

Geez...

Peter,

The Netherlands.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 05:22:48 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

motorhead2

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 05:27:58 PM »
Peter do you know of other companies that produce these?Let us know.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 05:27:58 PM by motorhead2 »

dinges

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 05:32:32 PM »
No I don't. Then again, I've never looked into the matter.

I was just surprised that it was possible to patent such elementary geometrical shapes.

But since most magnets are made in China, and we all know how China & patents go together, there may still be hope for anyone looking for these shapes (at a fair price)?

Peter,

The Netherlands.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 05:32:32 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

motorhead2

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 06:09:59 PM »
I did.China can custom make arcs to any size you want.Not skewed from what I researched.Have fun down there and Merry Christmas.Must not be a normal Joblo process.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:09:59 PM by motorhead2 »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 06:20:30 PM »
 its difficult to beleave  a patent  could be awarded for a magnet with a specific geometric shape put stranger things have happened,

Vacuumschmelze was purchased outright by "one equity partners" sept 30. 2005
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:20:30 PM by electrondady1 »

zubbly

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 06:47:21 PM »
hi David!

i am currently making a 1hp genny with the curved/skewed magnets (arc segment with a skew)

they are approx 1 3/4 inch long by about 1 1/4 inch wide and skewed. i have drilled a 3/16 hole in each one and tapered the hole at 82 degree to accept the tappered head of the stainless #8/32 screw.

i used a 3/16 carbide tipped cement bit and sharpened it to get rid of the factory round edge until it is sharp. for the taper bit i also used a 5/16 cement bit and tapered it (eyeballed the taper) and sharpened it. use thick cutting oil when drilling, and often lifting the bit and applying more cutting oil. works fantastic. never broke a mag.

clean up after though is a hell of a mess.

these mags came from a dealer in canada. his name on ebay is "tropical sun"  his name is Kenny Dyal. his e-mail is     nrag1662@rogers.com

he is a great guy to deal with, gives good pricing and quick service.

they will fit rotors (before turned down in a lathe) of approx 3.75 to 4 inch.  about 1 to 1.5hp and even some 2 hp motors.

at present for this 1hp conversion, i am making a 4 pole rotor. 2 mags per pole. it is a little wide for the coil span and will likely cause some coil cancellation. will post the results later on.  just to let you know, it is quite a struggle to get 2 mags of the same polarity tight together on the rotor face. this is why i am screwing them down. will probably also put a very small amount of epoxy under each mag.

i intend to give Kenny some future feed back as to a more specific size and thickness to better suit the stock 230/460 volt windings. i would much prefer to have 1 mag per pole, and with the screw hole and taper provided from the factory.

they may be a little more expensive, but being able to convert the rotor without a magnet cage for the round magnets, the epoxy, the extra labour, i beleive they will be much cheaper to do in the long run and give a very superior unit compared to the way i do it now with the round mags.

you can view this project in progress starting with the last picture in row one on page 21 and continuing to page 23. there is no picture of the rotor there yet, but it will be added as it is completed.  http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/zubbly?page=21

hope this info gives you a source for the mags and some insight on how to convert the rotor. these skewed mags are new for myself and must learn to take full advantage of them.

have fun!

zubbly

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:47:21 PM by zubbly »

motorhead2

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 07:01:01 PM »
Thats why I dont think their worth losing sleep over.Cool,but not yet.Keep it cheap and simple for now.Who among us invented these conversions.That must have been a shocking expierience.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:01:01 PM by motorhead2 »

motorhead2

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 07:18:55 PM »
Hi Zubbly went to your sight and didnt see a mag pic.Please post a pic and Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:18:55 PM by motorhead2 »

nothing to lose

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 08:01:25 PM »
I talked to tropical_son (Kenny) before I heading to Kirkland Lake. I was going to buy mags on the way up there but I got to Toronto area around 2am :(

He has arced mags listed now also for induction motor conversions, 8 for $64 and $14 shipping. Is this the old #29 size or close?

1 3/4" x 1" x 1/4", seems a bit small to me, but I never actually saw a #29 myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7573173791&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_Pc
Y_BIN_Stores_IT

« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 08:01:25 PM by nothing to lose »

zubbly

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 04:20:29 PM »
hi motorhead2!

i completed the rotor last night.

look at the last pics on page #23

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/zubbly?page=23

zubbly

« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 04:20:29 PM by zubbly »

motorhead2

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »
Good job as always Zubbly.Just wondering why you decided to screw them down.Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 06:24:36 PM by motorhead2 »