Author Topic: To NORM  (Read 251 times)

wphfla

To NORM
« on: March 12, 2005, 04:53:05 PM »
Norm:

Sometimes, necessity is the mother of invention.  On August  13, 2004, hurricane Charley was bearing down on us.  I went to change the battery in our Radio Shack weather radio and the wires pulled of off the circuit board.  It was early Friday morning and the power was already blinking in and out.  Rather than try to use the soldering iron, I asked my wife for the super-glue.  I used it to reattach the wires to the circuit board and it worked.  The weather radio was working flawlessly.  Charley became a cat 2 storm, and I got worried and loaded my wife, son, dog, and hurricane supplies into the Jeep and sent them to her sister's house.  My house is within ½ mile of Charlotte Harbor and sits 10 feet above sea level: my sister-in-laws house sits 16 feet above sea level and was more secure from storm surge.  By mid-morning, the hurricane had become a cat 3 storm with a predicted storm surge of 12 - 14 feet.  At the urging of my wife, I loaded-up my storm supplies (a case of beer, cooler and ice) into the car and headed to my sister-in-law's house.  When I got there, the wind was brutal.  Trees were bent into odd angles and the power lines were arcing and sparking.  My brother-in-law had tried to change the battery in his weather radio.  He had not only pulled the wires off the circuit board, he broken the circuit board clean in half.  He didn't have a soldering iron, so I asked my sister-in-law for her super-glue.  I used the glue to reattach the battery wires, then used it to reassemble the circuit board and connections.  It worked!  The telephone, cell phone, power, and cable TV went down, but the weather radio and its' 9 volt battery kept us informed, to the limited extent that the NWS puts out information, as to what was happening.  Is this stuff conductive, I don't know, but it worked for me and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Post Script:  Charley went on to become a cat 4 storm (145 mph winds, with 165 mph gusts), moved up Charlotte Harbor, and directly hit my home.  I would subsequently lose power, not only from Charley, but  in hurricanes Frances, Jeanne, and Ivan.  It was this experience that brought me to this discussion board and the concept of wind power.

Respects,

WPHFLA

« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 04:53:05 PM by (unknown) »

RatOmeter

Re: To NORM
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 01:24:58 PM »
I applaude your successes in repairing PCBs with superglue, but I do not recommend it as a serious repair method.  Something for your MacGyver kit, maybe, but not something that can be expected to work in any given circumstance. The cyano-acrylate adhesives have no conductive properities that I know of and are not an accepted electronics repair tool.

I'm glad that your family and home came through the storms without great harm and I'm doubly glad you found your way here!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 01:24:58 PM by RatOmeter »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:13:18 PM »
   W. Thanks for the reply, I suspected there was

more than just a BTW. quite interesting! So it's

something to think about in emergencies like you described.

It would probably work and just as good or

better than the masking tape that I used on the

conductive paint printed circuit.

I read an article where a guy uses a carbon rod

for soldering puts it in series with a 12 volt

battery just for an instant.

Again ..thanks for the story!

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:13:18 PM by Norm »

arc

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 06:30:56 PM »
Hey Norm,

We used to use carbon rods all the time in rebuilding automotive starters, we had the battery negative grounded to the vice and held the carbon rod with a battery jumper cable clamp hooked to the positive post. Works great for an instant, very hot, arc needed to connect/ disconnect the brush leads. Common practice in the starter rebuild business.

arc

« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 06:30:56 PM by arc »

Off grid in Tonopah

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »
Hey Norm

Check out this guys answer to the foul weather of Fla.

http://f1-rocketboy.com/lister4.html

Sounds like he went through much the same as you.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 07:02:53 PM by Off grid in Tonopah »