Author Topic: Something isn't right  (Read 552 times)

MaxFlow

Something isn't right
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »
a couple of days before the post about reducing picture size showed up on rants -opinions, I wrote on the same topic covering the same things, but my post dissapeared, I recieved an email saying that it wasn't needed on the forum, etc etc..., ok no problem, but then they allow two forums on this same topic.

This morning I wrote a question in hydro about taking advantage of the coriolis effect,  (WHIRLPOOLS), this dissapeared also, I don't get the attitude problem here, I even had to get another user name because my first one would not sign on, let me ask you, have I been abusing this site? Isn't it for finding out what other posters know about the subject, to help others?

In a few days I will start another forum, that will allow post that are not being allowed on this site, once I get it up, I'll let you know the URL, if this post doesn't also dissapear.

Below let me know what topics have been erased from this forum, whether it has to do with pedal power generators, alternative fuels, etc.. etc..., and I'll get a area on this other forum for them.

don v greenwalt

canton, ohio

seizetheday@totalusa.net
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:05:00 PM by (unknown) »

Arno

Re: Something isn't right
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:41:03 PM »
yo admin,

everything is changing so fast and radicaly on this site it is no longer much fun and certainly not informative in a more general way! Where are most of the past posters that made this site interesting for everyone! I feel as though I've lost something dear to me.

regards    arno

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 12:41:03 PM by Arno »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 01:33:09 PM »
All;

I am not the Admin here , and I have had posts disappeared as well, however I will remind everyone that this forum is up here for free. No one sends you requests for money nor are there annoying advertisements.

If you take the time to look at the dates of previous posts you would noitce that they come in groups .

Making things by hand takes time.

Instead of just reading, go out and try carving a blade or two , take pictures then upload them for everyone else to see and admire and let us know how long it takes. Add to the knowledge base.

Lately, there have a lot of questions to the gurus on almost all of the forums that I read that show many aren't doing their homework (reading) before asking questions.

If your posts are about OU they will not be posted. They tried having a place for those to be posted and all it got was a bunch of people putting up posts that meant nothing but did take up vauable hard drive space.

If you don't like how this forum is run and since this forum in the the USA you are free to build your own.

The long timers(read more than a years worth of time) know that odd things happen as well , this is the internet not a hard bound book and just deal with it as a fact of life, we don't get bent out of shape about it. We go do a little more testing, take a few more pictures, read what others have or are doing and go on.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 01:33:09 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Arno

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 02:10:07 PM »
Bruce,

You seem primed for an argument and I certainly don"t want that. I'm old, can't get around and my hands dont' work so good anymore. I've built my share of projects, some worked, some didn't, but most of all I kept an inquiring mind. That still works and that's the point I tried to make. Where's the hopefull projects we used to post about? Dreams? yes, but thats all some of us have left.

respectfully   arno

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 02:10:07 PM by Arno »

zubbly

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 02:15:20 PM »
Hi all!

just want to give my 2 cents worth, well, maybe 3 cents worth. not lookin for an argument, just saying what i think. everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

when i originally found this site all i did for about 6 months was read the posts and absorb all i could.  up many a work week nite till about 3 am. lots of stuff i did not understand, i asked a few questions, but usually when i was really stuck. i think 90% of the info you seek or need is here, you just have to make a point of finding it and related posts to hear others experiences with it. don't be in a rush to jump in and make a genny toooo quickly or other piece of equipment, as you will likely fall during the process and cost yourself in more ways than one. i made plenty of mistakes but learned from them and post my successes as well as my blunders.

if you have found information you need but just can't quite get a handle on it and would like to speak to someone for a little more emmediate help, please log into our IRC chat line. i have come to make many friends in this place and it is "literally" filled with extremely knowledable people with knowledge in many fields.

i know this site is not what many people were originally used to and how it operates here, but things do change, mostly for the better and i for one have not had a problem with anything that administration see's fit to change, add, or get rid of all together. it is their site! and we are guests!  if you feel the need to open another site to discuss topics of your choice and in your fashion, by all means please do so and hope you have great success with it.

i have seen some subjects come up with original good intentions, and by the end of it had blown into an almost full scale verbal war. though entertaining to some, and sometimes myself, all it really did was use up space here and i think in the long run acomplish nothing. so i am actually glad that administration does step in and try to curb us back on track. if they must delete posts on a subject because it has been covered upteen times or just not plain suitable for the good of the majority, then trust in their judgment, its for our "benefit".

basically as i see it, read, learn, do, share, respect others and obey the rules of the host.

have fun all!

zubbly

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 02:15:20 PM by zubbly »

kitno455

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 02:15:39 PM »
This has been beaten to death in other threads, but perhaps you have not yet mastered the search section of this site.

The admins here do a great deal to make sure that the content of the board stays on topic. They pay for the server and the bandwidth, and put forth the effort to do the policing. Your America may be free, but cyberspace costs money. I for one am a 'thankful freeloader', and appreciate that the topic here is clearly about 'practical' generation of power.

i am sorry your post about image size got deleted, i happen to agree with the threads about this lately. however, you assume the worst, when you should be applying occams razor. what if the reason that the later posts got thru was that the admin said: 'boy thats the third time i've seen that this week, it must really be a problem after all'. dont assume its about you personally, you are not that big on the radar screen :)

as to your 'other' posts, i did not see them, but trust the admins to keep the OU quacks down :)

allan

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 02:15:39 PM by kitno455 »

MaxFlow

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 04:04:28 PM »
my other post I spoke of had nothing to do with OU, PM or such, it had to do with hydro, maybe not a conventional thought, but hydro just the same,, useing a  moped as a generator motor and such, I had already had the talk with them about PM and such, and in the end I agreed pretty much with them, thats why I tried to give a place for those topics to be talked about.

Look I'm not trying to get in the admins face, I'm just trying to understand which topics will be deleted, I could use some insight here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 04:04:28 PM by MaxFlow »

MaxFlow

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 04:04:31 PM »
my other post I spoke of had nothing to do with OU, PM or such, it had to do with hydro, maybe not a conventional thought, but hydro just the same,, useing a  moped as a generator motor and such, I had already had the talk with them about PM and such, and in the end I agreed pretty much with them, thats why I tried to give a place for those topics to be talked about.

Look I'm not trying to get in the admins face, I'm just trying to understand which topics will be deleted, I could use some insight here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 04:04:31 PM by MaxFlow »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 05:10:07 PM »
 I have kinda noticed that the posts latly aren't as interesting as they used to be, but I thought it was my problem. I looked back at my comments and my first comment was made on 7-5-2003 and I have made 939 comments since then, this is my 940th comment. So I have been around for about 2 years & 2 months.

When I first discovered this site I was totally fascinated and was reading all I could as I wanted to make a wind generator for myself. Also all the cool Ideas about saving money on energy.

Well now I've made my wind generator and my solar panel and I'm using the power I make for some small items. I've converted my house to be energy efficent and I'm happier. But now I've just about absorbed everything that can be learned here and it just does not seem as interesting as when I was first swept up into Homebrewed Electricity Land.

It's just not so interesting if you already know the information . . .

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 05:10:07 PM by wooferhound »

Arno

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 05:54:29 PM »
yo woof,

EXACTLY!

arno

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 05:54:29 PM by Arno »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 06:01:53 PM »
Arno;

Really sorry if it came off looking like I was looking to argue.

Arguing doesn't get us anywhere, my apologies .

Bruce S

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:01:53 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

jomoco

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 06:05:57 PM »
Hey Woof,

Stick around, I asure you that there are some very interesting things in the chute for RE enthusiasts, but as they say good things take time and effort and above all patience.

I really liked your posts on Russia!

jomoco

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:05:57 PM by jomoco »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 06:52:26 PM »
I am far from an expert.

Some concepts have come up so many times it gets confusing and hard to read. Let alone the information that is not even correct.

The 'old board'? I can't figure out how to search it productively.

So I ask questions that have been answered 10,000 times.

And some questions even have a twist or 2.

If the answer is easy to find,

then it is all over here.

Reading for a week will find it, and answers to questions you did not even know you had.

Many posters seem seasonal.  They do this when they can. They don't when they can't.

Just like me. I am not saying I have anything at all worth posting. Just that I read this depending on how busy I am and that depends on the season.

Other popular topics are almost like a fad.

ie: Stepper motors, servo motors, TDMs, ECMs, F&Ps, single rotor, dual rotor, microwave magnets, harddrive magnets, surplus magnets.....

My personal current fad is surplus (useless junk ass) magnets with laminates on a single rotor, because I gave up on small stepper and servo motors.

Not that my current endevor is bad, just it has all been covered in depth.

Even if I can't find it!

My suggestion is get good magnets, and go from there.

Why is 9/12 good?

Why is 36/12 good?

That is re inventing the wheel.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:52:26 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

srnoth

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 06:56:23 PM »
Hey guys,

I just want to warn you that when your post disappear, it is not always the admin's fault. About a week ago, I posted a topic on using pc power supplies as chargers, and it disappeared after a few minutes. I posted it again, this time asking why it had been deleted (I was a bit annoyed by this point). Again the post disappeared, and after reposted several times, even creating a new user and posting on that account, I just got fed up and decided to forget it.

Anyway, a few days later I got a nice email from DanB saying that he had no idea why it kept getting deleted, and that he would look into it.

So, please remember that all computers give trouble, and so it is not always the admins' fault. And when it is the Admin who have deleted the post, I trust that it is in the best inerest of us all.

Cheers,

Stephen.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:56:23 PM by srnoth »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 07:17:39 PM »
Good points made by all.

I've been reading discussion forums of some sort or variety for almost ten years. I've observed that it is the nature of people to take some subject, blow it all out of proportion, take it off-topic and argue about it. I think it is entertaining, and sometimes thought provoking. I'm not saying that the ADMIN shouldn't delete posts, but perhaps some things should be allowed to run their course so people can blow off steam.

It seems to be a good idea to have a "rants and opinion" section that is largely uncensored. My belief is that it keeps the BS out of the "meat and potatoes" sections. Of course, a liberal use of the delete key by the ADMIN accomplishes the same goals, but I think this policy undermines building a sense of community within the forums. It's like slamming the door in the face of some guy who shows up at your party because he's not wearing a tie. Sure, he broke the rules, but maybe he had something to contribute as well.

I know the intention is to keep these forums pure and on topic. I think it is an admiral goal but I really hate to see the door slammed in peoples faces. I completely agree that this is a private party. We are all guests and the ADMIN can run it any way they like. My feeling is that stupid questions end up with no or few replies and quicky run off the front page and into oblivion. Deleting posts may be necessary but inevitably will piss people off too.

It's a fine line. If you don't censor anything, this place turns into the usenet with all it's associated trolls, arguments, off topic BS and commercial advertising. If you slam the door in too many people's faces, you've got a private party where everyone slaps each other on the back and tells each other how great they are, or talks about esoteric subjects that nobody else understands. I certainly wouldn't want the ADMIN's job, it's a tough one.

With modern huge hard drives, I truly believe that saving disk space is a non-issue. These are text messages and generally take only a few hundred bytes each. I think the real issue is the face the OP crew wants this site to present to the public, and that's why off topic, silly and unrelated topics are deleted.

I've also found the site less interesting and thought-provoking as of late. I can't say if this is because of the censorship or not. I certainly have the utmost respect for the OP crew and am not trying to tell them how to run this place, just throwing my opinion in the appropriate section :-)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 07:17:39 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

MaxFlow

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 09:57:49 PM »
Although I don't know all the problems it takes to run this site, but I think that it would be nice to ad a google search to the site, it would help us newbies, who can't find our topic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 09:57:49 PM by MaxFlow »

thunderhead

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 01:40:14 AM »
"...I think that it would be nice to ad a google search to the site..."

Google indexes this site very well.  Just Google for an appropriate search topic: try "site:www.otherpower.com plywood alternator" (old site) or "site:www.fieldlines.com homebrew batteries" (new site) for example, and just see it work. :-)

Oh, and you might find it instructive to look at the way koi ponds are filtered. ;-)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 01:40:14 AM by thunderhead »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 06:59:56 AM »
Duh, Hello, tap tap been a google search this site here for ages.

Top menu box at the right, second item from the bottom.

So damned typical that you New folks go all postal with no clue how the site works.

By the way your whirlpool post is right there in the hydro section with comments disabled because frankly its pretty stupid, but you cannot figure that out either I guess so you rage against the folks who have built this site into the icon that it is making yourself look foolish. Just stop, take a deep breath, engage brain then after you think think again and just go chill out and either fit in or leave it is up to you.

T [been here from the  beginning]

Send all hate mail to one of the Dans.

T

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 06:59:56 AM by TomW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 07:37:23 AM »
Hi All,

I just would like to give some positive reinforcemnt to all the recent changes...

Admin your doing a great job.

Ive have had posts deleted as well, BUT when this happens I stop and think... Maybe someone is trying to do me a favor. No one ever thinks of this...

Theres been many times Novices will stumble on to this site and ask what most percive to be silly questions. Personally I dont mind  going over the same simple stuff over and over. Its nice when school students can come here and the user's feature some patience, instead of short sided comments like "what are you trying to do get a free education and such" Well Ya, thats the point.

It is indeed nice when the disscusion can take a creative path, but, there is a point when it all can become too chatty. Look folks im guilty of the former, but I can clearly see the vision persued by the Dan's and Admin (DanB is a user too guys).

This site is not only an excellent resourse for DIY RE/AE projects but it has some personality. Pretty sure I been here for a while...

I really like the concept of the everthing page. As for the frontpage thats different. Its just part of the evolution of this RE site.

Seems to me things are a little more creative on the everything page, and thats good enough for me.

If your posts get deleted, so what, just drop it and go on to something else. Personally I have no complaints with anyone here. And we should all realize were in this thing together, renewable/alternative energy.

JW

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 07:37:23 AM by JW »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 12:15:10 PM »
Yes I'm sticking around like peanut butter on your fingers

You just can't get rid of it . . .

I visit everyday, I just don't read every post like I used too.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 12:15:10 PM by wooferhound »

stop4stuff

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 03:25:16 PM »
TomW... (respectfully)

"By the way your whirlpool post is right there in the hydro section with comments disabled because frankly its pretty stupid"

I saw the posting re: coriolis effect and took the time to google...

Wikipedia has some answers as to what the effect is...

see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

from my understanding...

the coriolis effect has a major bearing on the function of wind generators, i.e. wind systems develope as a result of the earth's rotation.

also from the same Wikipedia page, a visuliation of the corriolis effect can be observed using water... system energy input due to gravitaional and rotational forces... so 'whirlpool in a barrel' is not really that stupid if the end result is capturing the energy (very little) as a result of the coriolis effect.

paul

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 03:25:16 PM by stop4stuff »

shockwind

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 02:37:10 AM »
I too have had the frustrations of having my posts deleted. However, I did find out after (no thanks to the admin), that it was not posted in the appropriate section. Thats fine with me. I just posted to the proper section, and it stayed.

When your posts get deleted without any reason or comment by the admin it is quite frustrating, and frankly, kind of rude. This site is arranged in a complex way that the average newbie is just not going to understand at first. Perhaps a section and link at the top in bold, that states the rules and regulations of posting on this site would help greatly, and curb some of the editing by the admin. That way when someone posts in a wrong section or something the admin can just point them to the rules and regulations instead of deleting the post and giving the silent treatment.

I personally would just like a simple polite message from the admin or a quick note on why my post was deleted, instead of having to feel violated, censored, and singled out as someone who has nothing to contribute.

I have to say I am shocked at TomW's reponse. I had pictured you as someone who is above posting such insulting comments. Are you really helping anyone by being so negative?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 02:37:10 AM by shockwind »

picmacmillan

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 04:02:18 PM »
as somewhat of an ole fart myself, i just think most of the building takes place in the winter months, and most of us are real busy right now...but soon as things slow down, most get back to building something or another..i will soon start building the danbuilt 17' machine..i have all the parts...just not the time...as soon as i have to go indoors, i will start it up, and hope to have some cool pictures to go along with the journey of building...seems folks get excited when someone starts a bigger project..stick around and we will have some fun this winter i am sure...pickster
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 04:02:18 PM by picmacmillan »

MaxFlow

NEW 9/23
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 02:08:16 PM »
Just posted another thought in Rants and Opinions, and in no time flat it was MIA, it was relavent to this forums users, it has never been talked about before, and it didn't offend anyone except bad government, so, as someone else has posted before, when your post dissapears, try putting it on again, and if this doesnt work, post it in another field, so I'll just say my opinion here,

Title was, Eminate Domain Laws

Recently the Supreme Court ruled that one of the mainstays of the Constitution was now null and void, when they decided that America should adopt the communist manifesto as the new guidelines of our country , taking your land to give to others, without any say from the present owner of the land if it means that it would benefit the society more, my thought is, can this new law benefit those of us out here wanting to build hydro powerplants that don't have a creek to piss in ?, consider this, presently you can't put a hydro system on state, county, city, etc, waterways, but under this new classification of the constitution, we are intitled to use this land-waterway under eminate domain, if we somehow benefit the society, if we can show that our power generating plan would benefit the people, more than the river, etc... is doing by just flowing, we win, so if one decides that a stretch of a river would make a great site for a micro hydro operation, and there are powerlines in this area, you should  by law be able to setup your operation to pump electricity to the power companies, and collect on the revenues, and if you have a homestead next to these waterways, you can use this power for your own consumption, since you will not be taxing the regular corporate power entities that continually say it's getting harder to supply the people with the energy they need without large increases in their portfolio, because energy is just so hard to produce these days. LOL

The only argument on their side is, you can't dam that creek, stream, river, etc, but they can't have an objection to undershot wheels, or floating systems that don't impede the flow, there are more but will leave that for you to consider.

With this said, this new unconstitutional law means that it can also benefit those who want a windy hill on county, state property to setup a few wind generators.

There are opportunities out there....,

Some local governments will fight harder than others trying to keep you from doing this, but if you want it hard enough, you need to get the community behind you, because you know the people of this country don't appreciate this new infringing law, and if you show that although their home and land can now be taken from them, without their say, and this same law protects the government, you can easily work magic in the next election.

Now I consider this an opinion, why was it erased?

Don V Greenwalt

seizetheday@totalusa.net

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:08:16 PM by MaxFlow »

MaxFlow

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 08:51:24 PM »
SCHISM?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:51:24 PM by MaxFlow »

MaxFlow

Must of got drunk?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 09:28:07 PM »
 I lunge forth seeking justice and validation of my most worldly visions, hopeing to see others on the way who may consider my attitude most just, and even thought provoking, sorry for the spelling , i've got a few beers in me , dvg

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 09:28:07 PM by MaxFlow »

MaxFlow

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 09:18:29 PM »
Actually I was stewed!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 09:18:29 PM by MaxFlow »

MaxFlow

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 05:49:16 AM »
But the post on Eminate Domain and the ability to turn the tables on them is still a valid and worthwhile mission.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 05:49:16 AM by MaxFlow »