Author Topic: Large Pictures  (Read 213 times)

johnlm

Large Pictures
« on: September 07, 2005, 04:18:07 PM »
I realize this has been addressed many times before but either some new folks (and possibly ones that have been here awhile) havent read the discussions or choose to post large pics anyway.  

It would be very courteous to those of us on dial up services if folks did not post pictures any larger than say around 200kB per picture.  If for some reason you don't have the ability to scale your pics down to say 640X480 or maybe 800X600 resolution then at least in the intro copy do as some folks do and warn everybody that the post contains large pics (or a great quantity of pics) so that us poor slobs on dial up can elect not to read it.  Its nice that some of you own newer 5 to 8 megapixel digital cameras but these large formats can be resized through various (even free) picture handeling programs and methods that have been recommended many times before on this site.

Thanks

Johnlm

« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 04:18:07 PM by (unknown) »

kell

Re: Large Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 05:00:34 PM »
With a digital camera you can select picture size on the camera menu.  The default setting is the biggest picture size; thus all the oversized pictures we see.  And besides increasing download time, it makes reading the posts a pain because you have to scroll back and forth down every endless line.  That's why I like Hannu's posts, which look like Haiku or something.  Only guy I know that uses the return key when typing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:00:34 PM by kell »

Jeff7

Re: Large Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:46:10 PM »
Or instead of embedding the images in the post, simply use descriptive links. That way, dialup users can view the text of the page quickly, and download the images they want in separate windows, while they continue to read in the main window.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 01:46:10 PM by Jeff7 »