Author Topic: beware of paypal scam!  (Read 220 times)

picmacmillan

beware of paypal scam!
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:27:57 PM »
i had an email saying i needed to update my password and paypal needed my visa number..they even had the last 2 numbers of my card to verify that it was in fact paypal..so like an idiot i gave them the information they wanted as i have been experiencing some unusuall computer problems and i lost everything i had..including the email with the web address of someone from here that i owed for some solar cells he was gracious enough to send along to me for some kids for a science fair project....anyhow, after posting in the rants about this and such, i was advised to write paypal and ask if indeed they sent me a letter looking for this information....guess what?..they did not!..they said they will never ask for such information..so now i have been scammed and have to take the necessary steps to make sure i dont lose a bunch of money or worse..unless i have already been cleaned out and i dont know it yet...very scary feeling....just a heads up to all the folks here....please be carefull......pickster

This is actually an old scam with a new "face". Never trust a link in an email to go where the link text says.

Sorry they got you. I am leaving this here as a heads up "read only" but it is actually off topic.

Editor.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 01:27:57 PM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: beware of paypal scam!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 06:37:04 AM »
you should never give any important info out in an email, always go directly to the site.(not clicking a link to get there)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 06:37:04 AM by pyrocasto »

theTinker

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:21:42 AM »
i would never give out info like that in a email but i was more surprised that they knew ur last 2 digits, i wonder how they even got that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:21:42 AM by theTinker »

henjulfox

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:29:03 AM »
A variation on an old scam. Send out the email with 2 random digits for the last 2 of the credit card. They will have it right 1 time out of 100. 99 erase the email, 1 falls for it. Would work well with e-mail when they can buy a list and send a million with a click of a button.

Sorry, dude. Hope they didn't get you too bad...

-Henry
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:29:03 AM by henjulfox »

wildbill hickup

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:34:57 AM »
I recieved the same thing some time ago. It's amazing how much it looks like the paypal screen, however I was tipped off by the cfact that non of the links at the bottom work, they're just window dressing. As mentioned before Paypal will never, never ask for personal information via email or on the phone for that matter. If something needs doing they will contact you via email and give you instructions to log on to their site and follow links. One other thing at the request of paypal please report any suspisious emails they are trying to track this scam and need all the info they can get. Log on to your paypal account and click on the security link the instructions are all there.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:34:57 AM by wildbill hickup »