Author Topic: Larger low pressure area  (Read 409 times)

clflyguy

Larger low pressure area
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »
Hey guys,

I was scrolling through rants and opinions and came across the counter-rotating vawt. It reminded me of this design I've had tucked away on one hard drive or another for at least 9 or 10 years, it's kinda followed me from computer to computer since I can't bring myself to throw anything away. What do you guys think about the scavenge port concept? Sort of a push-me-pull-you kind of action with a little Bernoulli effect thrown in for good measure as each blade approaches the closing side of the port. Thought it might stir up some ideas..  Gus

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 01:22:42 PM by (unknown) »

vawtman

Re: Larger low pressure area
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:11:50 PM »
My opinion is that any vawt that needs wind direction guidance to operate isnt worth the bother.Just build a hawt has your doing.

That upwind blade the way it looks couldnt lift unless im missing something.Maybe it would fart when it hits the scavenge port.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:11:50 PM by vawtman »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:44:21 PM »
i really like the way vawts look when there turning.

so simple and pleasing to the eye.

i'm not shure what sort of power increase all the ducting would gain

but look at the imvestment in materials.

there is about 8 times as much material in the ducting as there is in  the actual windmill.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 07:44:21 PM by electrondady1 »

cyplesma

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »
I've drawn one of those, almost exactly like. I did perceive the wind in the opposite direction though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:11:09 PM by cyplesma »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »
If the housing rotated (by a rudder?) to face the wind, I'm certain it would work well.

I think the application for one of these is a city rooftop where High-RPM's disallow HAWT's, and any VAWT that you are allowed is limited in size. I think in some juristictions, a low-RPM high-torque VAWT might be allowed, especially if the housing was designated as a failure containment. I can also envision shutters at the entrance for high winds, or speed adjustment. Plus meybe an endangered-bird screen?

Added complexity and cost, but better than not being allowed anything at all in some towns. -Ron

"We were so poor we got married for the rice, I took my kids to the pet store and told em it was a zoo, I drove em through the car wash and said it was the new Aquaman Adventure..." -Rodney Dangerfield

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:01:48 PM by spinningmagnets »