Author Topic: 6 stroke engine  (Read 392 times)

wildbill hickup

6 stroke engine
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »
Admin, remove this if you wish, just found it while surfing and thought the folks here might want to toss it around some. An interesting way to eliminate some of the wasted heat of an IC engine from a man that knows them better than most!

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE

Wildbill

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:07:25 PM by (unknown) »

thefinis

Re: 6 stroke engine
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:17:38 AM »
Hope that he makes it work. It has always bothered me that the IC motor makes so much waste heat. I have played with trying to capture some of the waste heat off IC motors and use it. On stationary motors you can recapture some of the heat and use it for water heating/steam or space heating. For over the road apps the extra weight etc for heat recovery made any dual power setup worse than either an IC gas motor or a steam engine by themselves.

There were those units that sprayed a fine stream of water into the carb years back that claimed to help with milage. They worked on much the same principle as your link but were much cruder with little adjustment. Most motors were never made to have water run through them so it caused trouble kind of like the hydrogen boys are having now.

Finis

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:17:38 AM by thefinis »

Slingshot

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:51:31 AM »
I believe the old systems you reference merely inducted water mist with the gasoline and air on the intake stroke.  The engine described in this article is truly unique, as it apparently has an intake and power stroke where there is no "fuel", only water, which is flashed to steam on residual heat.  Sort of a combination cooling and extra-power cycle.  I think it's a cool idea.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:51:31 AM by Slingshot »

finnsawyer

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
I,m not sure it will work on diesel as cooling down the inside of the cylinder will actually reduce the efficiency of the diesel engine, which needs that residual heat for proper ignition.  Which brings me to an alternate idea.  I had a Cat D4 bulldozer at one time.  The cylinder sleeves were wet sleeves.  They were surrounded by the coolant.  It would seem a similar arrangement could be made were one sprays water on the sleeves causing the generation of steam, which then escapes from the block and can be fed to a turbine.  Theoretically possible I suppose.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:53:50 AM by finnsawyer »

thefinis

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:17:05 PM »
What you said is right about the old systems but the effect was to make use of the extra/waste heat. The power boost was supposed to be from the water mist turning into steam and adding push to each stroke. I think it also let you run leaner without burning the valves.

I like this new approach too. Use a diesel motor with a carb and use the injection system for adding water. I am interested in seeing numbers on how much water it takes to keep a motor cool. All of my gas motors would blow out all the water in the system in a very short time span if no radiator cooling was provided.

finis

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:17:05 PM by thefinis »

Waterlogged

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 07:25:47 AM »
Water injection systems were mostly used by racers to allow higher compression ratios on the available octane rated gasoline. The water cools the combustion chamber, preventing precombustion (knocking, pinging). It was drawn into the intake manifold, often controlled by a vacuum switch(es, sometimes it was a two stage system.) Water can be slowly poured into the intake to steam clean the carbon buildup from the combustion chamber. We used to do it to clean up engines that aren't driven hard enough, or long enough to completely burn the fuel charge. Too much carbon buildup will retain heat and glow, preigniting the fuel, causing it to burn uncontrollably. The flame front should travel smoothly across the combustion chamber. If another flame front occurs at the other side of the chamber, the two will collide, creating the noise we know as pinging or knocking.  Nitrous oxide is also used to allow a very large amount of fuel to be burned. An adapter plate would be installed under the carburetor with two nozzles. one for the gasoline, one for the nitrous oxide. In gasoline or diesel engines, most of the heat is transmitted to the cylinder head, as opposed to the cylinder wall. A diesel engine doesn't really need all the heat. It will run while it is still warming up. Injecting water after the fuel is burned sounds like a great idea to me. As the water flashes to steam and expands, it will have to push the piston down, because that is the only part of the combustion chamber that will move. It should also keep the combustion chamber clean.

Rod
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:25:47 AM by Waterlogged »

Slingshot

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 10:18:38 AM »
Just noticed your sig.  Where are you in Texas (Dallas for me)?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:18:38 AM by Slingshot »

Nothing40

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »
Many years ago my friend setup a home-brew water mist setup on a Honda 500 bike.

A couple milk-jugs,and some small tubing later,he fired it up,and baked the rear tire off,as he launched himself down the street..

The black-stripe was visible on the asphalt for several years after that.

Insane power boost! I'm kinda suprised the engine survived it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:48:13 PM by Nothing40 »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
This seems plausible, especially for initial use in an un-regulated internal combustion generators, as opposed to the obvious question about a new style of car engine.

A back-up Diesel-gen adapted to burning waste vegetable oil and a 30%+ increase in fuel economy from also adapting the Crower-cycle, Hmmm.... -Ron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crower_six_stroke

"Electricians do it without shorts until it Hz" -Sparky

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:13:15 PM by spinningmagnets »