Author Topic: Otherpower.com could use a facelift  (Read 764 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
offtopic response to windharvester....
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »
Well, lonnie from Ohio;

Maybe you should go over  here:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/2/1/45631/05143

and see why I am still here. You seem to be in an extreme minority. Last count was like 35 votes none asking for my removal.

Nothin personal just how it is. Feel free to vote yourself. It is not a democracy but I would have honored my statement to resign if the numbers supported it. They don't.

I do know that in this world brutal honesty and not kissing everyones butt are not acceptable traits.

Now you can tuck your tail between your legs and go back into lurking and understand why it is not reasonable to assault me by name for something this silly. You may try actually carefully reading my post so you know what I actually said, too and not what you wanted them to say.

Just a note to users. If I am posting an official admin type comment it will either be posted as "Editor" or will clearly state it is official opinion of an editor. Otherwise, it is just the opinion of a user. Now that should be easy for anyone to understand.

Now, on with the power harvesting. I happen to be pulling about 8 amps on solar and between 2 and 10 on wind intermittently today. Its all good.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 11:45:53 AM by TomW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Otherpower.com could use a facelift
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2007, 12:22:08 PM »
stuf;

I must inform you that I have contacted the SPCA [Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals] WRT to your possible exploitation of tree rodents on a mass scale.

JK, Lest you think I am serious.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:22:08 PM by TomW »

bob golding

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »
 thx for the hint lonnie-;)) bet the poor servers are taking a big hit as everyone checks out rons files......
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 05:57:43 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
the less graphics, the better
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2007, 03:14:28 AM »
It is always OK to get and to do new suggestions.

But more graphics is a bad idea in my opinion.

I used to have earlier a quite slow connection. At present my connection is faster,

but the more you've got graphics in the net the worse it becomes...

I used to put my browser set to show no pictures at all for a long time. If there seemed to be something worth of seeing then looked at the pictures by some extra mouse work.  

The rule to have a size limit for pictures was a good move some time ago. It would be good to ban graphics attached to your signature.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 03:14:28 AM by hvirtane »

blimpyway

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2007, 07:51:08 AM »
Hi,

I agree there is no need to add more graphics. Yet by just replacing the top-left "OTHERPOWER.COM" logo with the new one, downscaled to 1/3rd of current size would add only an extra 1.5 kbytes, that's about 1-2% the size of all graphics posted in this page (including posting member's avatars). Member's displayed avatars make up for ~80% of the graphics bytes in this page.

The proposed logo would look nicer with no noticeable download impact, even on slow lines, also because browsers will get it only during first page display from this site and cache it on subsequent requests.

Entirely changing graphics is another thing, that could be worst indeed.

regards,

cezar

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 07:51:08 AM by blimpyway »

blimpyway

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2007, 08:08:54 AM »
The old logo has its visual merits too: it clearly states that here is a DIY teritorry: "We can make things work by oursleves without much professional help - nor even for graphics".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:08:54 AM by blimpyway »