Author Topic: stupid stupid stupid  (Read 426 times)

blueyonder

stupid stupid stupid
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
 ive had big problems trying to find things out on this site.

i do search the board.  but today i clicked on FAQs.

its all there for the noobee.  i just wish it said index or sumthing.

but now ive found it i will have lots of reading to do.

its never to late to learn but it was my fault as i dident know what FAQs

contained. so much good reading its as good as a book for anyone new to re.

just what ive been looking for and it was here all the time.

this is what you might call a happy rant .

but still think it could be made more clear.

and now for a good read.  john.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:37:38 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: stupid stupid stupid
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
FAQ - "Frequently Asked Questions" usually means those questions are asked a bunch.

Another thing is a proper Google search. I use this format to look on fieldlines to search to search for left handed widgets:

"left handed widgets site:fieldlines.com"

Without the quote marks of course. This format restricts the site to fieldlines. There are other filters for filetype and such one can use.

Personally, I believe if the government should be teaching the young minds full of hormones the tools they will need to succeed. I think that included the search engines. Of course, this would suppose qualified teachers could be found.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:38:53 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

blueyonder

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »
 hi  and thanks for that info.

but i must say i would never have understood what FAQs ment.

not sure about a widget. in the uk a widget is a thing inside a can of beer that makes it come alive when you pop it open. but then who knows about john smiths other than in the uk.

but i will google widget to see what it means.

internet lingo is new to me and evan though my spelling is poor i will still try to put the proper words on the page as i struggle to type with one finger.

im not a puter wizz nor ever will be so plz excuse us poor dim witts.

cant spend to much time on this but menny thanks wdyasq.

so must go search all them new questions.

good new year to you and your family.  john
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:01:54 PM by blueyonder »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »
Some sites I visit [mostly of a techie nature] have a "New Members Must Read" page that users are expected to read and if you ask questions answered there you either get ignored or the post is removed. It helps folks get their bearings and answers simple questions and usually explains how the board itself works such as proper sectioning Simple definitions and conventions. The best go so far as to designate board units [inches not millimeters, etc], Language spoken and expected behavior while using the board.

The most useful of these boards are resources that generally don't allow constant repeat questions and require topic adherence. The hard line seems to keep it focused well for newbies and greybeards alike. Its not party time, it is fairly serious and focused.

The best sites for info strictly enforce things like proper section, staying on topic and being responsible for having read the "New Members Must Read" page and not rehash things included there.

We don't have such a document that is truly comprehensive and its a big job to put together.

Not exactly sure what we can do but I don't have time to do such a document or get too caught up in herding folks back on topic. Whenever I do, I get accused of being a jerk or whatever.

Now we know the problem.

Next is how do we solve the problems? Or even should we?

Not my department.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:34:51 PM by TomW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »
Hi TomW,

Just for contrast, one of the boards I am a founder member of has a deliberate 'threads may wander' policy, but compensates for that by having a very high bar to signing up at all.

Certainly in USENET days (eg '92) some groups let threads wander and some not.  Generally, the smaller and better-behaved and longer-lasting the group, the less policing is needed, IMHO.  But that can prevent newbies getting help at all of course.

I think this board (and thus you too!) does a good job.  Please carry on roughly the same in my opinion.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:40:49 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

blueyonder

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »
 TOM there is no problem that needs solving.

not on this site anyhow. its hard to explain with the written word.

as it can be read in so menny ways  and depending on reader.

that much i do know. so will try again to explain and what i am saying is all the time ive seen FAQs . i never thought to click on it.

what a shame im not computer literate.

so menny great posts there that i could have read.

it was just my way of saying .post read stupid . meaning me and then went on to say i need a few more brain cells.

i dont ignore any one. i dont make rules .

just like to say peace on earth .happy new year good brother.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:41:45 PM by blueyonder »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:33:39 AM »
or you could read FAQs

as "Facts"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:33:39 AM by wooferhound »

thefinis

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:07:38 AM »
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

Here is another section that has loads of good info on most aspects of building a wind system. I have looked at how to try and direct newbies and others to some of the better areas of this site and the links are all here. Someone tried hard to get it all available from the same page but somehow much of it seems to get overlooked. It took me forever to find and use the "recent activity" link. Maybe a sticky note on what links to read/try on the "newbies" page or on the "How to use the board" link I don't know.

TomW everybody needs an a--h--- and after the newbies section was made where everyone gets cut some slack for silly or repeat questions the main area needs someone to try and keep us on topic and fresh. We fuss but most of us are sooooo happy someone else has the job and not us.

Happy New year everyone and may you see your home made power production double in the coming year.

Finis

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 08:07:38 AM by thefinis »