Author Topic: A new section  (Read 425 times)

GeeMac

A new section
« on: December 07, 2008, 02:47:25 AM »
I like the layout of this site but I am an experimenter of sorts and I suspect many of us are. Threfore may I request an experimenter's section where new ideas may be exchanged?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:47:25 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: A new section
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
NEW! Such as something that has been discussed 5 years ago and found foolish ... or two years ago .... or last week?

I've been a member of this board for a long time. There is little 'new' that comes up, just folks too lazy to do a bit of research, IMO. I might add there might be some who are ignorant of terms ... or can't spell. But, those are few in comparison to the ones who totally fail to research.

Of course there is another field of posts, the rehash of the unworkable. like the VAWT. This batch fails to read the piles (can have several meanings) of data and research paid for by US tax dollars and sold as scrap aluminum.

Each time I have thought I had a new idea research usually 'slaps' me back into reality. There have been several times my employers have asked if 'ideas' I have are patentable. As far as I know, no matter how wild an idea may seem, someone, in recorded history, has documented it. Many times what seems a great idea is just another application of an existing technology or process.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:09:32 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

GeeMac

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »
You seem a bit angry.  I hope today will be better than yesterday for you.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:30:02 AM by GeeMac »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »
very bitter,

there seems to be very little original thought in his world.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:04:40 AM by electrondady1 »

tanner0441

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:27:45 PM »
Hi

I am fairly new to this site also, and before I posted anything I read back through posting over several years, most of the items posted today (I use the term metaphoricaly) have been listed before, if not yesterday then the day before.

What I can see is..... This site has evolved into its present form over time, in this form it works, people who have similar interests tend to exchange emails or go onto IRC.

I for one have learned a lot from this site, I have in return been able to pass knowledge that I have onto others. Respect and listen to those who know more than you do, and help those who know less.

I personaly enjoy this site in its present format, you don't need to be a profesor of physics to understand it.  You don't even need to be able to spell particularly well to have your postings read and answered. It is an open site with people from all over the world who may have a language different from yours as a first language, but everyone on here is an experimenter probing their unknown..

I am not angry, in fact I have been told I am so layed back I make a coma look like hysteria..

Brian

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:27:45 PM by tanner0441 »

wdyasq

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
I wonder how stating FACTS makes me angry.

When I was a bit more ignorant of how folks failed to do research, I would do a bit of research, show that it had been tried and failed, and post it for them. I was called negative then.

I didn't grow up in the world where we where one was coddled and their thoughts were precious. I was taught the best help was to tell the truth and let the rest settle out on its' own. There should be little shame in failure ... unless one chooses to repeat a failure due to ones stubbornness or lack of research.

I was also taught one did their own research. Just because it was easy to ask a question of one who had the knowledge, it was not right. You are asking for his/her  time. That is one commodity we cannot create.

Now, I am told I have little original thought, I am bitter and angry. This is by folks who have no knowledge of me or my thought process.

Have a nice day,

Ron

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:07:39 PM by wdyasq »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »
FEED ME!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:39:01 PM by TomW »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 01:19:34 AM »
FEEDS TomW a plate full of Aussie Paddock Oysters freshly BBQ'd
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:19:34 AM by ruddycrazy »

Stonebrain

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 04:57:01 AM »
Glad we've someone who knows about the TRUTH.

thrut means:

There's nothing new,everything has been done.

Experimenters,specialy VAWT builders,are lazy people who don't know about the truth,and are wasting tax money.

Like a famous saying of a french persecuter (someone who knew about the truth)

"kill them all,god will choose the faithful"

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:57:01 AM by Stonebrain »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 10:24:32 AM »
Ron;

I certainly do not know you, but have taken your insights into answering questions into account over the many years I've read posts here.

I believe that when you lumped the VAWTs into the ingnorant as unworkable that touched a nerve or two.

I don't believe they are un-workable nor believe the all people working with these as lazy, but your post aludes to this.

They may not be currently workable for the large scale like HAWTs currently are, but they can be usable.

Just an observation.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:24:32 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:51:06 AM »
For those who have been members here for years we see this every year about this time. The stress of the Holidays starts spilling out. It can be helpful to some needing to vent as long as it stays in this section, within the guidelines and with no attacks on the defenseless newbies. Happy Holidays !  Dave B.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:51:06 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

ETech

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
Whether any experiment works or not, it doesen't matter.

What matters is that the experimenter derived some value from it.

I learned that these items don't / do work and why.

When the are kind enought to share with us, we all benefit from it.

Gaining a little me insite or proof to what we have already learned.

So long as someone is not trying to shovel some "Over Unit" stuff onto the board, I don't see a problem. It's their time and money spent trying to learn! If there is an Expermenter's section they could request advice on how to improve the accuracy and validity of their tests. No one has to anwser if they don't want to, like any other request.

I for one like to see other's projects, whether they work or not. With my little one at home I've had to lock up most of my toys. I go over what is said on this site everyday, always get some enjoyment from it.

Thank you,

ETech

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:56:27 PM by ETech »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 07:21:24 PM »
For Ron -

Not to ruffle anybody's feathers as a newb here myself, but I would like to add to ETech's post, and say that part of research IS asking others about what they already know, and then incorporating the information you receive into your hypothesis for attacking a given problem. Where I come from, it's called team work.

If everyone with knowledge kept it to themselves, nobody would ever get anywhere. Early Linux days (for the computer geeks) proved this point well. Ask a question as a newbie in a Linux forum and you get treated like you had the plague. THAT is what isn't right.  People forgetting that they were ALL newbies at everything at some point.

I will agree that failure is always a part of experimentation (and is even expected, how else does one learn?), but someone looking down their nose at someone else because they failed at something is wrong, research or not. As a parent, I have had to learn for myself that watching my kids experience a failure right under my nose is sometimes the best part of parenting. It represents a chance to show the under/misinformed the errors of their ways, giving them a chance to correct their course, and steer in the right direction. Personally I enjoy it, as long as the failure in judgement does not represent major life-altering events.

If people want to reinvent the wheel, let them. Someone mentioned over unity. Think of how many problems it would solve if it were real. For the informed, we don't bother with it, because we know it's futile. It doesn't mean that we have the right to criticize the ones that are obsessed with it. Besides, every once in a while someone gets deceptively close - Finsrud's Mobile Perpetuum

Made me look twice, and I know better!

Moral of the story? Everyone can learn from everyone else. If you stop learning, you stop living.

Thanks for reading.

Steve

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:21:24 PM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ncblue

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »
now thats what everyone needs - a big plate of hot bbq oysters
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:34:52 PM by ncblue »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »
ALL;

First, to those posting to Ron "wdyasq". As Dave B said , it could be the season's or politics or whatever, but let's not go down the road of bashing Ron.

You might want to take a little more time to read his posts and years worth of real contributions before taking him to task about his comments.

Ron;

My comment was never meant to be a slam or anything of that nature, merely to point out why some with thinner skin than others would take offense at the VAWT comment.

I know you can hold your own in any debate here, but I feel the most recent comments here came after my post and think they are headed down the wrong road and off topic of the original post.

Just an observation of the past few comments, and remembering the honest help Ron has given for several years free of charge.

This is a Rants area but once again comments are supposed to be with a smile :-)

Bruce S

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:36:01 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:28:44 AM »
I'd like to clarify - I don't want to be taken as bashing anyone. Just reminding everyone (not just Ron) that learning is a continuous process. And what better way to learn than from someone with years and years of experience? In a way, I would think it would be flattering, while frustrating at the same time. I've been on both sides of the fence. Expert in one area, finding myself as 'the answer man', yet curious and oblivious in others, asking a bunch of questions.

And yes, I think the holidays definitely twist things up for people a bit; I'm sure I am as guilty as the next guy in letting it get to me more than it should. Everyone is allowed bad days.. :)

Steve

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:28:44 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »
oh, it probably does old sourpuss some good to get a little taste every once in a while.

other wise, he just drifts off while polishing his guns.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:05:42 PM by electrondady1 »

lohearth

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:07 PM »
Maybe a better section would be "Damn, I wish I could of thought of that!". First nomination would be for Zubbly (RIP).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:40:07 PM by lohearth »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »
Nothing better to do, so my 2 cents.

The problem with "New Ideas", as I see it, is usually 1 of 3 choices.

1.  It isn't new, and is a huge step toward bad.  Meaning an old idea with problems that were fixed.
  2.  It is proposed as "Super-Great, Revolutionary, Ground-Breaking, Advancement", even though it has serious issues easily seen by people with more knowledge.
  3.  It is known to have issues by the poster, who asks for comments or methods to improve the idea.  

The comments and suggested improvements lead directly to current thinking and designs.

Which often leads to personal attacks, email harassment, or accusations of "not being able to think outside the box".  Newbies tend to go there more often.

One guy that comes to mind claimed he could get a 300% output improvement in a design getting 80% of Betz.  His credentials were impeccable. "Proof is in the pudding" he said.  Some fancy software proved it he said. He'd be back with results he said.  Wonder where he and his results went?  Best guess is he went to some OU forum.

Anyway, most forum members (even Ron!) don't have a problem with a 'new idea' that is semi-researched.

Some new ideas seem to be a copy/paste of something 10 posts below.

Some posters only want to hear "Wow! Great! No one ever thought of that!"

I had 100 'new ideas'.  99 were old ideas, or they simply didn't work for reasons I now know (people told me why).

And I didn't look long for stuff related to the 100th new idea.  I am not sure how 'New' it is.

I knew it would work, I built it, it worked, I posted it.

There are never new ideas.  Officials for the US Government stated this fact.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

People should not be PO'd if their new idea was patented 100 years ago.

That's all I'm saying.

Ron ain't so bad... If you scratch his belly, he will love you till the day you die.

[Eddie- referring to Snots the Dog- "Christmas Vacation"- I'm forced to watch it over and over this time of year]

G-

PS- Sorry Ron.  I think it is funny.  Real funny.  Probably change my mind about the time I click 'post'.

Back to polishing my new Kimber Custom SS-II in 45ACP.  Santa came early.  He was good to me this year.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:23:21 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
G;

Talk about old That .45 ACP punkin slinger round has been around over 100 years.

So much for thinking exterior to the cube!

Figured you for a wiz bang caseless ammo type.

Congrats on the new hardware, I am going for more batteries and maybe a wood fired hot tub, being the practical type. Heh.

Tom

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:53:33 PM by TomW »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »
For that kind of money it better be new!

My Daily Cube consists of mostly 9X18 (PA-63, P64, Bulg MAK), S&W 39 (no extra numbers), 38 Sp SS Charter Undercover, or some combination.

I reload.  Hard to do that with caseless.  $25/50 makes reloading a must.

This 1911 is prettier than a VAWT.

I need to figure out how the link hole is lined up with the slide stop pin notch...

so I can reassemble it.

G-

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:26:54 PM by ghurd »

wdyasq

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Even though I load for lots of little calibers, my favorites are still those that lead in grams and ounces rather than grains.

I just recovered my 5-1/2 pound .375 rifle that used to throw 1/2 ounce slugs at about 1/2 a mile a second. The bore is pitted but it still will keep about 2 MOA ....

My fun handguns are a Makarov 63, CZ52 and wheel-guns in .357mag, 41mag, and .44mag. I keep a few hundred pounds of cast bullets for the wheel-guns so I can pollute the environment with proper toxins.

So ... y'all keep on dissin' me. I'll keep cranking on the reloader handle and buying more brass. powder and primers.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:43:53 PM by wdyasq »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »
Funny, but I left out the bread&butter CZ82.

In public my favorite is the blue 7.5" Super Blackhawk.

If my wife reads this it is the new SS Kimber.

In private my favorite is the 22 Super Single Six.  It is her favorite too.  It was a gift when I was 12.

Could be why I continue in my stepper quest?

"just recovered pitted bore 375".  Sorry.  Honest.  I understand how you feel.

After the recent who-does/has-what talk, it seems like I should post a 9X18 related pic.  Maybe later.

G-

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:33:56 PM by ghurd »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »
never felt the need for a hand gun.

but i think i will get a lee enfield rifle.

the ammunition seems easy to find and i think i can get a scope mounted.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:41:05 PM by electrondady1 »

jimjjnn

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 07:53:41 PM »
cast me some 45.70 500 gr bullets for my 1895 model Marlin.

She loves em that size.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:53:41 PM by jimjjnn »

fcfcfc

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »
Anger is expressed not by facts but by attitude...

.....Bill

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:58:55 PM by fcfcfc »

fcfcfc

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 09:03:14 PM »
My, my, what a narrow perspective and loss of the exploration of the possible unknowns....

.....Bill

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:03:14 PM by fcfcfc »