Author Topic: a use for all that plastic waste  (Read 1262 times)

bob golding

a use for all that plastic waste
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »
came across this chap talking on the radio yesterday. i wonder if this would work on a small scale. his credentials seem ok, unlike the usual scam artists trying to sell this sort of stuff. i seem to remember it coming up a couple of years ago,where you put any old rubbish ,dead dogs, old diapers in and oil flowed out out the other end like magic. this sounds much more believeable since plasticc is made from oil in the first place. sounds good to me.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnlin

e&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED22%20Jun%202008%2017%3A03%3A21%3A867

i am sure there is a way to make the link shorter but i am only just getting to grips with vista at the moment.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:17:26 PM by (unknown) »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Chagrin

Re: a use for all that plastic waste
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
Awesome. We can drill for oil, turn it into plastic, then convert the plastic into oil at a fraction of the cost ($46/barrel) of oil!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:13:32 PM by Chagrin »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:22:26 AM »
As ever, the journo mangled the science: 3MWp or 3MWh/y electricity equivalent power-plant?  I hope the former, since my tiny grid-tie PV will manage about 1MWh/year!

Anyway pyrolysis is a reasonable approach.  I hope it works for him.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:22:26 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bob golding

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:50:43 AM »
hi damon,

yes i was wondering about that as well. some figures on energy density of the finished product would be helpful. chagrin i think the plastic is already available,no need to drill for it;-))
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:50:43 AM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
We would have to drill, and mine the plastic out of the landfills . . .
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:34:11 AM by wooferhound »

vawtman

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
Every time people go to the store when the clerk says"paper or plastic"Say paper.

Of course that would reduce the demand for oil and drive the prices even higher.

Darnit can't win.

Just my opinion,

Mark

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:48:05 AM by vawtman »

richhagen

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:50:21 AM »
I've figured for a while we will wind up mining the landfills for resources some day. Lots of metals, or oxides thereof and other potential resources.  Also, one of my tenants, a mechanical engineering doctorate, had told me about a similar project being developed in India regarding plastics to oil. Rich
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:50:21 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:05:04 AM »
Hi,

I think that plastic and paper disposable bags are about equally evil in resource use.

The key is not to ask for a bag and take a (reusable) one with you!

I think plastic bags are wonderful things but we don't need hundreds of billions each and every year.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:05:04 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

spinningmagnets

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »
I have seen plastic 2 X 4's at Home Despot that I was told were made from shredded and melted milk and water bottles. Even if they were only 3/4ths recycled, it sounded like a good idea.

I believe this shows that it really works, but I am skeptical about the cost-effectiveness, even at $150/Bl for newly drilled oil.

Polymers (plastics) can be dissolved and catalyzed into smaller bits in a way that results in a liquid, but the weight won't change. Plastics float because they are "fluffy" and less dense than the petro-liquids they are made from.

How many plastic bags and shredded milk/water bottles would it take to equal the weight of one 55-gallon barrel of oil?

Water is about 8 lbs/gallon (yes?) and since oil floats it weighs less, so 7-ish lbs/gallon? 7 X 55 = ~385 lbs? Thats a truckload of plastic to get one drum.

That being said, I'm all for recycling, so if somebody wants to treat plastic and re-use it, I say why not.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:54:37 AM by spinningmagnets »

chubbytrucker01

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »
Well diesel fuel weighs about 7.21 lbs per gallon. Most trucks can haul about 45000 pounds. Some more some less but 45000 is about the industry standard load for this kind of product, baled recycled trash. So if the process was 100% efficient we could get 6241 gallons of oil at $4.65 a gallon for diesel it would be worth $29,021 a truck load. If you don't think we generate this much plastic you are in denial. I hauled garbage out of New York City in the late 80's and just our small 15 truck fleet hauled from 10 to 20 truck loads of baled cardboard to recyclers. There were probably a couple of hundred other trucks hauling it also. They didn't recycle plastics as much then as they do now so I am not sure how many bales of plastic the same facility would produce now. The truck company I work for now hauls about 30 truckloads of paper and cardboard bales a day. I drive about 3000 to 4000 miles a week and trust me there is a huge world out there. There are allot of people in this country. We make a bunch of garbage. Think of all the soda bottles. Water bottles. Milk jugs. Plastic barrels. Five gallon buckets. Until we put a value on this stuff no one is going to attempt to recycle it. At $29,021 a truck load it suddenly got a value. I hope it is true. When I first started driving a truck in 1988 about half the garbage we were hauling to the landfills was paper and cardboard. Since we gave recycled baled paper a value that number has dropped below ten percent. Recycling has to take place on an industrial scale to get our landfill dependency down. Most of the garbage in our country goes through transfer stations and this is where recycling would have its best chance to succeed . Until garbage has a value we'll keep trying to hide it in holes in the ground. Sorry about the rant but seeing how wasteful we are is what got me into rethinking my own conservation approach to life. So please don't try to belittle the problem by saying this new technology is not the answer. We have a huge problem. Any technology beats what we as a whole are doing now.

Just my opinion,

If you don't agree e mail me,

Doug
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:28:22 PM by chubbytrucker01 »

Tritium

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 06:53:37 PM »
From another thread on this board a few days ago. there is already a thermal depolymerization plant in the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtS6K43np9o

Thurmond

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:53:37 PM by Tritium »

texasGSDgirl

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 01:03:21 PM »

We are working on a prototype for a small robust pyrolysis device using a 55 gallon metal drum. It's been in the works for a while around other life stuff and has become our mission. We are hoping to make significant progress this summer when a young man from Georgia comes out to Texas to put his experience and youthful energy together with my husband's skills and plans. I don't think I will be allowed to post a link to his Youtube channel but it is Naturejab. He has smaller working models using microwaves. We intend to end up with a machine that can process tires, plastic and even household garbage.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 11:16:15 PM »
Hi
Welcome to Fieldlines.

Here's the link to your video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCY_xxnmfQ
Let me know if I found the right one, or if others are relevant to the subject, too.

Have you captured the gases in a tank and allowed them to cool?  What condenses out? 

If I was to nitpick something, the 10kV that comes out of the microwave transformer is pretty nasty, so your wire connections give me the creeps.  Be careful! 

Please feel welcome to post more about your topic, and give us updates as you go. 

PS: If you like, I can split this topic off to a separate thread, so that your project can stand out more on our site.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 03:51:12 AM »

We are working on a prototype for a small robust pyrolysis device using a 55 gallon metal drum. It's been in the works for a while around other life stuff and has become our mission. We are hoping to make significant progress this summer when a young man from Georgia comes out to Texas to put his experience and youthful energy together with my husband's skills and plans. I don't think I will be allowed to post a link to his Youtube channel but it is Naturejab. He has smaller working models using microwaves. We intend to end up with a machine that can process tires, plastic and even household garbage.

Now a small compact version would be real neat.

I could put my excess 31KW of PV production to use in the summer months.

Over the past 20 years here in France i have seen the plastic packaging etc, has reduced by about half. But the local village bins have seperate waste containers for differeing plastics, but still about half the NOT SURE which plastic it is, ends up just incenerated.

So simple small scale recylcling of plastics etc, would be good all round. 

I will watch your progress.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery