Author Topic: pictures  (Read 335 times)

mixerman

pictures
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:42:46 PM »
I belong to a lot of forums and most have a location where testing your skills at posting pictures can be practiced, resizing and such!Generally these locations can be deleted from time to time, by someone!

Is there anything like that here?

If so, I cannt find it.

I'm having a lot of problems selecting photos that I have uploaded but then can not  select to be placed in text messages at a latter time. Resently I responed to a post Woof was intrested in about solar panel mounts and posted a picture, I had no problem doing that but when I did a follow up to add another picture it could not be selected and added to the message.

I have seen the fourm information about posting pictures, I have also searched the fourm using search term "posting pictures" but did not find anything.

Mixerman

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:42:46 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:56:56 AM »
mixerman;

Try the Diary section. Its the place for users to post what they want [more or less].

If you make a total mess of it you can simply post a reply asking for it to be removed, then try again.

Just an idea for a work around.

Photo area uploads and photo insertions have been buggy lately so it could be the board software taking a flier and not something you have done "wrong".

We [editorial staff] generally try to fix failed photo insertions but we need to know which ones to include. If you simply paste in the link to the photo one of us will usually convert it to show in the story.

Sorry it is confusing.

Tom

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:56:56 AM by TomW »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
I think it's time to write the "How Do I Put Pictures into my Story or Comment", FAQ

right now I'm home for lunch but when I get back home from work I will work one up. I'm doing Sound & Lighting for a luncheon featuring the Alabama Governor Bob Riley.

If anybody has any suggestions to add to this FAQ please put them in comments here . . .

I think a couple of people have written some information about this already, a little search may find some good stuff.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:25:46 PM by wooferhound »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
yes there has been a lot written about picture resizing. One tip I got from this board was to download the free program IrfanView and use it to resize/resample pictures down to the 640 x 480 size. Don't remember who posted that but thanks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:04:01 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

mixerman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
Is there a limit of how many picturs a post can contain? Is there a limit for the amount of text in the body of the post?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:28:17 PM by mixerman »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »
Im going to add a comment here, Im sure TomW (w/much respect) is going to wipe his forehead, and go oh great here it comes! :)

Theres always been a problematic situation that still occurs today, with regards to 'INTERNET NEWBIES' now, these type of people tend to type IN ALL CAPITALS, or use there 'real' first and last names. Also these type tend to upload 4mb pictures...

There has always been the question of resolution of the pics displayed in stories. Years ago "Electric ED" suggested messing around with the 'HTML' code for the picure, Im still not going to illustrate how to do this out of respect for TomW, since I do infact agree with him most of the time... In no way do I wish to diminish the DanB capacity. I do think its best that he lets most things slide, sometimes to be a push-over is not a bad thing..

On the otherhand I think Tom, Ron, and Kurt do a fine job around here. Just my voice as a user here, giving my support to the guys that have a big part of this board happening. Cheers

But yes the best pic's

Like this one, I did cheat, I modified the html line to make the pic display as I saved it. I resized it in my own program, saved it as a jpeg, rated for 21 seconds on dial-up.

I-ronically this is not a writing html programs type of site?

:) :)

JW

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:22:10 PM by JW »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »
The only limit I have found so far is your patience.

I have posted some long and heavily pictured posts, and the board has no problems with accepting it...doing it is another thing :)

...........oztules

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:32:17 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

mixerman

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »
Woof I found this post you made:

I don't have a chainsaw either but I may be able to help "a little" with the picture file thingy. Select "Your Photo Uploads" from your User box on the top righthand side of the page, then while looking at your files Select the file with a single Dot. This will display your files in alphabetical order so you can find them easier. However when selecting files to be inserted into a story, this option is not available.

I have a super large number of files too, and it can take awhile to post a story with more than a couple of pictures.

Question: Lets say you have a post (storie) that has 7 pictures in it. 4 of the pictures are in the fourms bank and 3 you have not uploaded yet. You type the post to where a picture needs to be, that picture is located in the bank but you cant get to it, so do you just upload another picture to get what you want inserted into the text, then continue from there until you need another picture? And so on!

Mixerman

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:52:55 PM by mixerman »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
OK I spent a bit of time and wrote an informative FAQ about putting pictures into your stories.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/8/21/31854/6586

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:30:02 PM by wooferhound »

mixerman

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
Excellent Woof!!!!!!!!!!!! Very well done I will give it a try.

Mixerman
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:53:39 PM by mixerman »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »
What? Do you think im TomW???

"The only limit I have found so far is your patience.-oztules"

Just to reassure you, Im 'infact' JW. I have been a user here for like 6 years. Trust me when I say im not TomW.

Infact, best as I can recall, our interaction has been limited... So what does patience have to do with anything, :) unless you want me to be your doctor :)

"I have posted some long and heavily pictured posts, and the board has no problems with accepting it...doing it is another thing :)-oztules"

Yes,yes

You are quite correct, personally I upload my photos already resized to around 65k. Stick them in my 'photo uploads' then go from there to insert them into a story or reply.

Oztules,

If you mess around with things, and you do not force spelling correction, the preview function, should show you what things will look like before you post. I know it seems redundant but its true, we cannot edit after the fact. So if it doesnt look right under preview, it not going to look right by some chance when posted. CAVE EAT EMPTOR.

If you have a question about TomW, go to IRC, he and others(user's of the board) are always there, I think that its quite responsible of Tom and others, actually.(to be on the IRC channel) When I first joined here, I found Tom some-what abrasive, but in time, I relized he's a pretty stand up dude...

Best to all (Cheers)

JW

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:31:36 PM by JW »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »
Goodness me JW,

The comment "The only limit I have found so far is your patience." was in answer to post #4 from Mixer who asked

"Is there a limit of how many picturs a post can contain? Is there a limit for the amount of text in the body of the post?"

my answer was "he only limit I have found so far is your patience" which is what I have found to be the case.

In answer to his question on pictures (limit) I said this:

"I have posted some long and heavily pictured posts, and the board has no problems with accepting it...doing it is another thing :)"

Hope that clears it up for you.

Things don't always appear or turn up where you expect them to. I guess you thought it was aimed at you, and I can understand your ire......... that ws not the case.

" When I first joined here, I found Tom some-what abrasive, but in time, I relized he's a pretty stand up dude..."

I thought he was too.... right up until today when I found I had more buttons on the bottom of my screen than before.... I seem to have inherited some editor functions and administration screens for scoop.... TOMW...... you cunning devil you.

Have a good one JW.

.........oztules

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:14:03 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
Darn it all,

Just had a strike of lightning, that wiped my reply after I had it almost all typed...

Oztules,

I see what your saying, your reply was like #6 and mine was #10.

"Hope that clears it up for you."

"Things don't always appear or turn up where you expect them to. I guess you thought it was aimed at you, and I can understand your ire......... that ws not the case."

Yes it does. I was only ranting because I had 'not noticed' that your reply was there just as I posted. Talk about a dog chasing its tail :)

You see and I thought that I was slick, but I read your posting about which direction the board was going with anticedent propencetity.

Cheers

JW

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:45:52 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
Or mine was #5 and yours(with the remark about patience) was #6, or whatever.

:)

JW

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:49:21 PM by JW »