Author Topic: convert upright freezer to fridge  (Read 296 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
convert upright freezer to fridge
« on: November 27, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Turn-a-Freezer-into-a-Fridge-Thermostat-Kegerator-Solar_W0QQitemZ160372777342QQc

mdZViewItemQQptZAU_Home_Appliances?hash=item2556f6617e

Someone down under is making and selling drop in replacement thermostats for upright freezers with a higher set point so you can cool beer or use a freezer as a fridge without any other mods. I tried converting a freezer once, but my inverter didn't have the power to start the compressor.

It is supposed to reduce the compressor duty cycle to 10%.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:38:11 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: convert upright freezer to fridge
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 04:50:46 PM »
MMmmmmmm, beeer

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:50:46 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »
this would work for a chest freezer and has been discussed before for making a low power fridge but if you tried it with an upright freezer like you suggest you would have the same energy sucking downfall as regular refrigerators have that is every time you open the door the cold air sinks out the bottom and is replaced by warm air flowing in from the top forcing your fridge to have to run to cool all that cold air it lost every time you open the door.

second if i needed one of those i would not order one from Australia i would go to my local johnstone supply walk in the door walk up to the counter and say "pardon me could i have a current catalog??" then i would go home and look though the catalog and find the replacement thermostat with the specs i need go back the next day and buy it by part number. be allot cheaper than ordering out of ozz. or you could just pull out your old thermostat take it in and explain exactly what you want they will match one up for you. only difference is that way they are likely to charge you retail for it instead of catalog price.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:45:54 PM by kurt »

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »
kurt, I would go to my local white box recyclers with a screwdriver and  take that device out of an good discarded old fridge. Free. Joseph.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:03:37 AM by WXYZCIENCE »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »
My neighbor was over and saw this change from freezer to fridge and made a door that he mounted in his fridge that covers the lower 2/3 of his fridge compartment. It irritates his wife some but she is willing to try it for 2 months. He put a paper readout hooked to a thermometer to record the temp difference last year. It all started with a bunch of food that got spioled for a party they were holding. Big argument that is still just under her skin and involved his cold home made beer. He thru the food out she had made then she thru his beer out he had made.  So it will be interesting to see the results.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:18:32 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »
You guys realize that that thermostat senses evaporator temps right? A lot of older refrigerators used a control that sensed air temp. The two run in different temperature ranges and are not interchangeable.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:04:20 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Old F

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:23:44 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

kurt

• website
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »
or something like this

http://www.a-1catalog.com/sct.html

just wire it in in place of the original control tape the sensor inside the freezer somewhere

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:02:11 PM by kurt »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 02:14:31 AM »
D-I-V-O-R-C-E? (to quote a famous song)

B^>

Damon

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:14:31 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 01:32:55 AM »
I came to the conclusion that a freezer could be used to freeze water in plastic jugs and be moved once a day with the morning meal to a older refrigerator and keep things from spoiling .So the main things you have to eat go form freezer to refer and the beverages are iced in a separate cooler .You need the booze at the party anyhow .That's my plan .I picked up a Chest freezer for $170 and have to run it 4 hours a day over all that's my goal it cycles too many times so I have to keep from opening it and run it at peak output times and two times at night .That's the goal .As far as getting beer really cold keep salt water in the cooler .The cooler water has to be placed in a solar evaporator  (if you want to stay environmental friendly) . The beer can gets cold fast so leave it in the ice water for a little longer .If you put a thermometer in the water it will register freezing even though its liquid .( "Beer tech" out )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:32:55 AM by tecker »