Author Topic: Improvements on the "RotaColaSola"-engine (a solar stirling engine)  (Read 1815 times)

The Crazy Noob

Hi

Some time ago, on this forum, I asked if anyone knew some good, cheap ways to put solar-energy to electrcial energy (without PV-panels). That got me intersted in the "RotaColaSola"-engine, a solar stirling engine. (link: the original one (RotaColaSola) and the improved one (SexBalloon engine).

I would like to build the SexBalloon-type of engine (using balloons, no condoms :-P ) and I've started saving tin cans (empty catfood cans) because they are bigger and I have a bigger supply of them :-).

Now the actual question-part: While I'm waiting until I've got enough tin cans, I thought of a few improvements:

• If I would use a gas that, given a constant volume, produces more pressure with an equal temperature increase than plain air. (if it's explained badly I'll give an example: if the temperature increases with 10degC, the pressure of gas X increases with 20% while the pressure of regular air only increases with 10% -> twice as much power?) This will cause the liquid in the balloon to be pressed up more wich should create more power. (my physics-teacher said something about hydrogen or helium?...)
  • If I replace the water with a liquid that has higher density, the difference in weight will be greater when a same amout of liquid is pushed into the other reservoir and thus increasing the power. (example: if 1cc of water is moved, the weight that is moved is 1gram; if 1cc of liquid X is moved, the weight that is moved is equal to 2grams -> twice the power?) *note*: the boiling temperature would need to be as high as possible (the liquid must stay a liquid when heated with sun or with candle/flame/...)

I know that this forum is packed with physics-geniouses ;-) so if someone could please confirm the above or give other advice...
    And does anyone know gasses and liquids that meet the above requirements, are easy to get and aren't dangerous?

Thanks,

The Crazy Noob

• « Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:21:46 PM by (unknown) »