Author Topic: An interesting reflector scheme?  (Read 1053 times)

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
An interesting reflector scheme?
« on: March 27, 2006, 04:49:56 PM »
Hi,

I ran across the article listed below that I thought had an interesting and simple idea for increasing the output from PV panels.

It requires that the PV panels be mounted on a tracker (like a Zomeworks tracker for instance).

It adds very simple fixed reflectors on each side of each PV panel that reflect some additional sun onto the PV panels. Since the PV panels are on a tracker, the relfective panels don't need to be moved as the sun changes position.  The paper says that the PV panel output was increased by 30% due to the reflectors.

The reflectors look like they could be made for about $2 per sqft(?), so if PV panels cost abut $50 a sqft, it seems like you are getting a benefit of (0.3)($50)$15 per sqft with an expenditure of $2 per sqft -- what a deal(?)

I don't think the reflectors would increase the radiation enough to endanger the PV panels, in that PV panels already must be designed to handle similar reflections due to natural causes (e.g. reflections off a snow field)??

I am wondering what people think of this?

The link for the paper from Univ of Florida:

"http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterPumping/UFEPVPumpingEH16300.pdf">Link to PDF

Gary

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 04:49:56 PM by (unknown) »