Author Topic: 1KW solar system completed  (Read 1350 times)

iFred

1KW solar system completed
« on: April 19, 2006, 07:45:45 PM »

Back view of solar array

Side view of solar array

Front view of solar array, 12ft x 12ft structure array

back view showing wiring box, wiring and back of panels

This is a gear box that drives the main shaft for lifting and lowering the solar array

the gear box drives the main shaft which is connected to two lifting cables one on each side which raises and lowers the solar array

the other side of the main shaft. lifting cable and electrical junction box

up close view of the solar array

lifting cable and lifting pully, the lifting cable goes from the array frame to the cable to the pully and connects to the main shaft

a different view - also showing the bolts and holes that I use to lock it down with. each time I lower or raise I apply the bolts and lock em.

One side of my electrical system is composed of a - tristar c60 , 1000 watt inverter and meters indicating amps and charge volts and a 60 amp shunt (2-30 amps in Parallel) - There is a DC disonnect and fusebox and fuses shown as well on the right hand side. I also have a laptop computer that measures everything in real time and is hooked to the tristar through a serial port, this is a very neat way of reading data and seeing exactly whats going on. This system controls my house power. meters read 15.33volts and 20.9amps

This is the other controller, it is composed of dc disconnect, fuses, a tristar c30, with an 1000w inverter an a 30 amp shunt with meters showing charging voltage and current. For my garage.

and here is the battery bank. lots of battery's. Mostly they are Trojan L16Gs.

Since I have two solar controllers (basically in parallel), they both read about 20-28 amps charging each, this means that all day from about 11am to about 6pm on a sunny day I see the meters saying this. not bad considering all things. If I shut down one system all the amperage goes to the other controller, so I can dedicate things like equalization and charging days.

So here is the breakdown. You need at least 12ft x 12ft of solar panels to generate 1KW of solar on a good sunny day, and need somewhere to store it, as I have personally found out now, I need allot more batteries or more solar or wind for my needs at least double now that I look at it. just not enough power.

Solar is nice, quit and hassle free, but the sun doesn't shine everyday. and it is those times that you still require means to generate and maintain battery's without a grid.

Dan, Thanks for a great message board! Thanks to all that helped me throughout the years with your knowledge and experiance, I would'nt have missed it for anything. Your guys are great!

Editors Note;

Gee, Fred thanks for dumping 5 megs of pics on the dialup user!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 07:45:45 PM by (unknown) »