Author Topic: Ebay Cells Ordered :) Need a bit of Advice  (Read 965 times)

andyman5002

Ebay Cells Ordered :) Need a bit of Advice
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:35:41 PM »
Ok guys I decided to go ahead and order the cells. I ordered 120 and I'm splitting them with a friend of mine so we get 60 each. I was just wondering, what configuration should I go for?? I know I'm just short of making a 7 amp at 18V because I will need 72 cells for that I think??

Do you think I should just make a single 36 cell panel at 18V or maybe slightly more to get 20V, and then use the remaining cells to make another 12V panel providing none are broken which I'm sure they will be?

Or can I use the remaining 24 cells in my panel??

I Had thought about making a 15V panel at 7 Amps, which would use all of the cells, but would this be sufficient for charging 12V batteries?? Now I know that as they get warmer their output decreases but I live in England and to be honest it very rarely gets to temperatures above 20 C.

Once I get them I believe I have to remove them from a wax coating, how fragile are they, what would break them??

I think I'm going to mount them on a wooden platform, then drill holes in it to push the tabs through for soldering, then join them together along the back with some kind of common bus. Does anybody have any ideas on this?? Or any advice or alternate methods??

I wont be water proofing them yet until I'm sure that everything works as it should, also I'm not going to be mounting it outside yet so its not important just yet.

One more question ;), Do you think for securing the cells to the wood a hot glue gun would be ok?? It uses PVC glue sticks, so a couple dabs of that and then press the cells onto this? Or would the heat damage them, or the pressure? Is it best to just use double sided tape?? What do you guys use for this??

Any help would be great

Thanks A lot Andy

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 07:35:41 PM by (unknown) »

asheets

Re: Ebay Cells Ordered :) Need a bit of Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »
I'm no expert, but I've noticed that a lot of panels used for keeping car batteries alive are rated for 18VCC.  Maybe that's what you should aim for, and then parallel the rest for additional amps...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 02:07:58 PM by asheets »