Author Topic: Solar Hydrogen  (Read 1031 times)

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
Solar Hydrogen
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »
Solar Hydrogen

'Everybody knows' that you can dissolve water into hydrogen and oxygen by using electricity. But the process is not efficient.

You can as well use heat to get water dissolved into its basic elements.

If you will heat water to high temperatures, say about 1000 Celcius -- 3000 Celcius the process becomes quite efficient.

You can get such temperatures by solar parabolic mirrors. I've experimented with a quite perfect glass mirror of 1,5 m diameter. Concentrated solar rays from the mirror could melt low class steel. That temperature is enough for trial purposes.  

When water is dissolved in the focus point of the mirror, both oxygen and hydrogen are appearing at the same place. How to separate the hydrogen to be stored?

About two years back it came into my mind that maybe you don't need to separate the gases at all. You might lead the mixed gas directly into a combustion engine and burn it.

I don't now have any access to laboratories to do experiments of this principle. Maybe somebody else has got. But please be careful with mirrors. The focus point is very hot and dangerous.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:28:11 AM by (unknown) »