Author Topic: VW Panels and Batteries - a few questions  (Read 1071 times)

altpwr

VW Panels and Batteries - a few questions
« on: July 31, 2004, 03:48:56 PM »
Hi,

I recently purchased several 12v, 1.4Ah drill batteries and planned to wire them for a 12v system using a few vw polar panels to feed them.  The reason drill batteries tickled me is that I was looking to charge them in a regular ac charger prior to bringing them up to where I need the power.

I really have 2 questions..

Is the battery idea feasable in your opinion?

Being that the blocking diode is in the vw panel wire, I would like to keep that all as one unit.  Do you know of anyone who makes multiple female ends of a cig lighter, that ties into one wire which would go into my battery bank?  Is this something I should home make??

Thanks in advance,

Altpwr

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 03:48:56 PM by (unknown) »

DERFMOOSE

Re: VW Panels and Batteries - a few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 05:22:45 PM »
  check with your local RV dealer. car parts. or make your own go to the wrecker and get a bunch of lighter sockets a piece of metal roof works good make a bos to put them in.My drills charger uses a plugin on the battery holder find same type of plug for use
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 05:22:45 PM by DERFMOOSE »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 04:54:21 AM »

I would take an old charger and wire to the charger's battery connector taking time to install a bypass switch to alow use as a standard ac charger . At the same time put in your male cig adapter . Put a female cig adater on the panel .Now your good to go

for auto or panel charging .I assume the this is a solar panel .If you take the time to

dig into the charger there should be a bridge in the charger that the connection could be established to give charge control.Wire on the DC side of the bridge of coarse .

I've got a pile of Ryobi batteries on solar charge this works really good . The batteries seem to last longer with a slow solar as opposed to the fast charge of the ac charger.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 04:54:21 AM by tecker »

altpwr

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:16:34 AM »
You are the master......

I never would have thought about setting it up for both the panel and AC.

a Million thanks.  BTW, how many Ryobis do you have?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:16:34 AM by altpwr »