Author Topic: Solar Panel Power Monitoring Meter Ammeter  (Read 3043 times)

adamant

Solar Panel Power Monitoring Meter Ammeter
« on: October 06, 2004, 06:08:21 AM »
all the reading i been doing the books suggest it would be a good idea to have one..

but dont my fluke meter do the same?

SEE THE LINK....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3240&item=5925061787&rd=1

Ant

« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 06:08:21 AM by (unknown) »

Vtbsr

Re: Solar Panel Power Monitoring Meter Ammeter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 07:00:10 AM »
You can get a DC amp. meter at the auto parts store for about$5. They are asking way to much for that cheap meter. If you go with a trace C 40 and get the display you can keep track of total amp hrs if you need to
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 07:00:10 AM by Vtbsr »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 07:10:24 AM »
Yeah, that meter is priced insanely high.

T

« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 07:10:24 AM by TomW »

Opera House

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 08:48:33 AM »
When I first saw this on ebay, I was shocked they would ask that much.  I have a meter that is similar and it is handy to slip on an alternator wire to give a general idea of charging without disconnecting a wire.  Price should be closer to $4, but no one has complained in feedback.  Just shows you can sell anything on ebay.  I bought a dozen digital meters at Harbor Freight when they were on sale for $2.99 and these are quite accurate for anything except AC.  Any connection ina main line is a potential problem. Most connections have as much resistance as 10' of wire.  I like stripping back the insulation and just soldering on a sense wire for a couple feet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 08:48:33 AM by Opera House »

adamant

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 04:16:59 PM »

thanks...yea it  sounded like a lot of money...

this is the one i have

SEE LINK below

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03482400000&a
mp;tab=spe#tablink

« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 04:16:59 PM by adamant »

Adrian L

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 05:44:03 AM »
To be honest, I believe that isnt a half bad price.

I work in an electronics retail store here in Australia, and we have a build-it-yourself kit that is more or less identical to that 0-80 amp but with a digital readout for around the $55 US mark

Induction amp meters are really quite handy and often not that cheap!  Accuracy is less than that of a shunt/meter setup of course, normally about +/- 5% but having electrical isolation from the circuit you are testing is always very handy and let's face it, safer for the average joe blow testing large dangerous amperage with his $4 multimeter!

Adrian L

« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 05:44:03 AM by Adrian L »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 07:07:27 AM »
Adiman;

How come we don't see you on IRC much anymore? Hope things are going well. Kinda miss chatting with you a bit occasionally. Still waiting for that circuit to show up for testing.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 07:07:27 AM by TomW »

Adrian L

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 02:38:39 AM »
By the way guys that was meant as funny sarcasm when I said the average Joe Blow and his $4 multimeter - not as an attack on anyone - we all know you people are raving alternative energy freaks anyway hardly joe blows :)

TomW: I'm still around, but working with real life average joe blows and their electrical problems and needs all day in Jaycar Electronics has put me off my projects and chatting on #otherpower in my spare time - It really is a pain, NEVER work in a hobby retail electronics shop people it's hell!

Adrian L

« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:38:39 AM by Adrian L »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 09:25:56 AM »
Electronic Goldmine has a 10 amp cheapy for 99 cents this month. #G4516.

OK, but no one would be able to tell the differance between 3.2 and 3.3 amps (scale is too small). Would be OK for that 3 or 4 amp panel at a cabin.

And I like my $3.99 meters! I get 6 at a time.

Generally, in the field I only need to know 0, 12, or 20 volts. Or 0, 2 or 4 amps. Pretty much, is it working or not.

I also spend a lot of time on roofs. The time it takes to get an ulcer, is exactally the same time it takes a $300 Fluke meter to slide from the ridge, down the shingles, jump the gutter, fall 2 stories, and bounce on a cement driveway.

Yup. Exactally the same!

G-

P.S.

Adamant- I have half a dozen of those 99 cent 10a meters I won't use. I will send you one if you want (free). I don't like 'extra' things permanently connected, but it would be fun to watch for a while.

ghurd at noi dot net

Use SOLAR in the heading or it will get spammed.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 09:25:56 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

cstgmt

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 07:22:39 PM »
where could a fella in Houston buy an ammeter like the one you described?  i'd like to see something actually going into the batteries beside the + and - connections:)

thanks!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 07:22:39 PM by cstgmt »