Author Topic: just a note about purchasing glass...  (Read 969 times)

Snoprob

just a note about purchasing glass...
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:04:15 PM »
Alot of glass shops figure the size of their stock into the calculation of price, meaning the unusable scrap left behind from your custom dimension & unlikely to be needed resalable sizes get charged to you. Before you commit to a paticular design size ie. cell count & spacing & border call around and get info on how they stock the glass and their price tiers.

Example - glass around here is priced in six inch sections, if you need 18 and 1/2 inches you will pay for the 24 inch width. Although many times a compact size is crucial I like walking away from a shop knowing I didn't leave money 'on the table' so to speak. If the glass is stocked in 36 inch widths it might be a savings to puchase a whole sheet @ 8 foot long then have them cut it three times for your 24x36 panels.

Same goes for plexiglass, it sure is convienient to pick up the small sheets but you're paying full retail and probably have waste remaining - letting your fingers do the walking by calling all the commercial glaziers within an hour or twos drive you might save a bunch of money.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 04:04:15 PM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: just a note about purchasing glass...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 02:07:38 AM »
When I had my glass cut at lowes, I asked them what they did with the scraps, and was told they throw them away. Now the glass comes in different size sheets, from which the custom cut(quickly and free) for you. When I asked if I could have the scraps from the glass panel I PAID for, he said he would have to sell me my scraps. That irritated me quite much. If can use extra scraps, cut the glass yourself I guess.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 02:07:38 AM by pyrocasto »