Author Topic: Why are PV panels so expensive  (Read 7670 times)

poolman

Why are PV panels so expensive
« on: February 06, 2005, 04:32:02 PM »
Hello,

I've been reading this board for awhile and really enjoy the folks who experiment and try new ideas on alternative energy.  

I've been watching the cost of PV panels over the past couple of years and they continue to stay high in price.  I really want to power my home with solar electric, but the economics just are not there.  So the big question is; Why are the PV panels so expensive?  Is it materials? Labor? Demand?  How is it possible to reduce the cost of them?  I like to generate appx 11kw.

Thanks

Sam

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 04:32:02 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Why are PV panels so expensive
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 09:49:01 AM »
I think its a lot to do with all those things...

but we should keep in mind, 10 years ago they were double the price and the dollar is worth less now, so in my mind - they are coming down in price rather rapidly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 09:49:01 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Reno

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 10:03:18 AM »
Also remember that most solar panels are made by oil and electric companys.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 10:03:18 AM by Reno »

AD

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 10:23:12 AM »
Also remember that most states offer rebates for solar installations. In several places you can get up to 50% of the cost back from your state. This link shows what is available for each state:
 state rebates
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 10:23:12 AM by AD »

juiced

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 10:38:36 AM »
I just had quite the embarresing convo regarding this with a resident of Florida. I had him finally see the real costs of a system (not including installation; but he wanted a full retro-fit. From pipes to floors, so that makes the price much higher... And he said that he had inquired once already.

Here is the response from Florida:

"Thank you for your email inquiry regarding solar energy grants.

Unfortunately, at this time, JEA does not have a Solar Grant Program

available. For additional information regarding Solar Energy

information, please log on to www.jea.com, Search word: Solar.

Thank you,

Lavonda Wigfield

Customer  Correspondence

wigflm@jea.com"

Was my official letter back from JEA (Florida utilities?) I guess i wont try to get any more Florida residents involved. :( :(

And the real reason, not factors is that NASA covered a good 75% + of R&D costs. Given that they probably didnt write off the R&D and it is still going one, i'd say the prices will be much like that of computers. You'll alwas be able to find 'seconds' or etc.... for decent prices.

Also here is another letter from a supplier:

"Sorry but Kyocera's lead times on modules are still spotty due to the

Germany demand.  I'd be happy ot help you out with supplying your business

but you'll need to plan on longer lead times in the future.  I still have

modules on order from last October..."

:o :o :o :o

O.k. so expensive and athere really is a shortage.

I cannot wait for SSP. :D

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 10:38:36 AM by juiced »

Victor

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 11:38:55 AM »
Hi Sam.

Please don't take offence at this post I just want to point out how differently we view RE compared to the other things we buy.

"I really want to power my home with solar electric, but the economics just are not there. "

Now replace "to power my house with solar electric"  with I really want to buy a bass boat, but the economics are just not there.

Or. I really want a new truck, but.........

My point is that very few or possibly none of the things we purchase are held to the scrutiney that renewable energy systems face.

If the economics were there, hoards of people and busnesses would have RE systems without even thinking as to whether they "wanted" it or whether it was right. As it is fossle fuels are cheaper (as long as the externalities stay external ie pollution ,resouce depliation, health effects. etc......) and so thats what is economicly justified. It has nothing to do with consumers "wanting" to burn coal.

The real case is that you don't "want" it badly enough to pay the preamium of what solar electricity costs.

To people who live off grid, solar or wind is the least expensive way to get electricity and for many, they would hook up to the grid and get rid of all that solar crap if they could do it "economically".

Again Sam I am not trying to pick on you personally and I realize that my arguments are mostly semantics and would fall apart if held to the same scrutiny as I'm using on your statement. Just trying to make a point.

To people who have grid power with low electric rates and no state buydowns RE is a (pick one),toy, hobby, passion, belief system, investment in the future, or just a "want"  and when the 'Value" of one of the above is added to the value of the energy savings the economics are justifiable in the minds of the people who end up as purchasers.

Well, I guess I've ranted long enough and I hope RE prices come down enough for more people who want them to afford them.

Victor Creazzi

Aerofire Windpower

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:38:55 AM by Victor »

Tom in NH

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 12:09:15 PM »
I figure I'd need about $60,000 in the bank to earn enough interest to pay my electric bill in perpetuity. That same amount invested in a solar array with all the fixings would not produce enough power to meet the same electric demand. If I lived somewhere besides in cloudy northern NH, maybe it would be different. Meanwhile, I play and I learn, and one day soon when prices for oil and electricity go through the roof, I'll have something to help ease the load. There is nothing quite so satisfying as looking at an array of panels on a bright sunny day and knowing that they're chipping away at your electric bill. Sam, if you want to make your own energy, please consider starting out with a small affordable system, maybe one you build yourself, and learn all you can from it. It will reward you in more ways than just the pocketbook. Good luck, --Tom
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:09:15 PM by Tom in NH »

pyrocasto

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 12:12:45 PM »
It is the shortage of PV's that really kills the price, but the price of the silicone doesnt help much either. If we could cut the price in half one more time, it would become very economical. I'd almost garrantee, if someone else started manufacturing panels(if that's possable), they would make some money.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:12:45 PM by pyrocasto »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 12:57:01 PM »
Yeah but 5 years ago I bought a 53 watt panel. It was slightly more than $4/watt. I think I gave $265 for it. Lately, it's getting impossible to find them for less than $4/watt. BP just raised their prices 15%. The other companies probably aren't far behind.

Does it bother anyone else that oil companies have bought up almost all the solar panel manufacturers?

Volvo farmer

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:57:01 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

bob golding

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 01:53:02 PM »
hi sam,

cant remember all the details but the cost of pv solar is tied very much to the  silicon fab manufacturing costs. pv panels are currently made from reject ingots from the likes of intel. this is because most of the cost is in melting the silicon. no one is going to invest in silicon  melting  furnaces while there is a ready supply of reject silicon available. a company in germany i think? has developed a  cheaper  process that uses a lot less energy, but while there is a good supply of cheap reject silicon no one is going to invest in it. if there is a downturn in  the demand for chips, or a serios increase in yeald, manufactures of panels will  not change to the new system. as regards the oil companies owning most of the  production i think that is just them seeing the writing on the wall and diversifying.  dont think it is a plot or anything. the details of the new process are somewhere in "new scientist" from around 2 years ago if anyone wants to check. think it was in the summer some time but  cant find it at the moment. hope that helps answer your question. 10 kw from solar is a lot, might be better off using a mix of wind water and solar unless there is a specific reason not to.

bob golding

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 01:53:02 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 01:54:26 PM »
Victor;

Well said.

Funny how some stuff is "expensive" and others are not. My bass boat cash is hanging on a pole tracking the sun making at best about $8 to $10 a month in power.

Must be my hobby because it sure isn't a paying investment. It does provide a nice warm feeling when I fire up the inverter to use my shop, however. Plus, I feel it is the right thing to do.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 01:54:26 PM by TomW »

poolman

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 06:41:31 PM »
Thank to all that replied, even you Victor :).  

Just kidding.  Someday when the coming energy crisis arrives in force those that have invested time and money into solar or alternative energy will certainly be rewarded.  Even without a crisis, I love the idea of a renewable resource.  Solar is even better, in that it does not have to be renewed, it's alway on, so to speak. Same for wind power.

Wind, solar are the best bet for me here in St Louis.  I'm in the process of designing a new home on a rather tall bluff overlooking the Mississippi River.  The main thrust of my new design will be an energy efficient home utilizing passive solar as much as possible in the design.  This is what inspired my initial interest in alternative energy.  But now it's the businessman in me that wants to understand the poor supply and high demand for PV panels.

Bob your response was very informative and helps fuel my interest into why and how to make them cheaper.  Is there a PV panel production facility in the USA?  Any information on the process of producing panels would also be interesting.

By the way Victor, I rid myself of my boat, but made a great generator from the old 25 hp engine that I had removed....

Thanks Again,

Sam

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 06:41:31 PM by poolman »

Chiron

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 12:08:33 AM »
Not odd at all that Florida wouldn't have any incentives for home/small scale solar or wind instalations.

After all, my former employer, Florida Power and Light, is the largest (non government) operator of wind turbines in the world. They also have some large solar power instalations.

BTW, JEA is a small power/water/sewer utility company in Jacksonville that's a "Power Partner" with FPL.

Small solar/wind/hydro is in direct competition with the large operators and from my experience small wind turbines have much lower production costs over the life of the turbine than big wind. I can't speak for thier solar or hydro operations directly but I know they're heavily subsidised. I doubt any large RE project would show any profit if it weren't for the subsidies and tax credits.

Taking the basic dual rotor or other simple designs and mass producing 1 to 5kW units by the thousands would scare the pants off the large producers. How much you want to bet the producers of Neo magnets would get bought up by oil companies?

Wouldn't do to have a lot of small operators tied to the grid and ruining all the fat subsidies and tax credits the big electricity producers get ;)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 12:08:33 AM by Chiron »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 06:23:08 AM »
Matrix is made in Arizona.  They also had a rather sever silicone shortage a few months ago.  Most of their PV production is going to Europe, who are willing to pay a premium to get quality PVs ASAP.

I think the shortage is very real and (mostly) due to the electricial shortages in Europe last Year.

G-

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 06:23:08 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

RatOmeter

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 07:59:51 AM »
Also there is evergreen solar, in Marlboro, MA. They appear to be the manufacturers of the "ebay solar cells"  you may have seen posted about here.

http://evergreensolar.com/egsolar1/index.html

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 07:59:51 AM by RatOmeter »

Gary D

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 08:56:02 AM »
GE bought out Astropower in bankrupcy court for pennys on the dollar (as they did with a windenergy co.). A lot of people lost out in their 401k's (green portfolio). Not sure if GE panels are produced in Delaware (old Astropower site) or not, but they are poised to go into solar big time if and when they wish to... Gary D.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 08:56:02 AM by Gary D »

Jeff7

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 09:36:45 AM »
Silicon shortage? Something to do with where it's refined? I think silicon is the most abundant element in the planet's crust. Link

28.2% by weight. Damn lot of silicon.

I guess the problem is extracting and purifying it.

In that case, the message to the silicon industry - get on it people! There's lots of potential demand out there for the stuff. Many people simply don't look into solar power because they just know that it's really expensive. Bring the prices way down, and you'll have a deluge of new business. Stores could afford to cover their roofs in solar cells; new houses could use solar shingles.

On the subject of increasing prices; the seller of the eBay cells says that Evergreen "want to decrease their reject rate and increase the prices." And they don't seem to be with the oil industry anymore. Guess they're just staying competitive....like when Maxtor reduced hard drive warranties from 3 years to 1, and everyone else followed suit.....

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 09:36:45 AM by Jeff7 »

finnsawyer

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 09:59:15 AM »
I checked on the solar shingles.  $6.72 per watt.  Too much.  Need to get it down to $0.10.  Then I can put these on my roof.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 09:59:15 AM by finnsawyer »

troy

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 12:32:38 PM »
The raw material is cheap (sand is mostly silicon).  The purity levels are the expensive part.  Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"Silicon is commercially prepared by the heating of high-purity silica in an electric arc furnace using carbon electrodes. At temperatures over 1900<C, the carbon reduces the silica to silicon according to the chemical equation<p>
SiO2 + C ¨ Si + CO2

Liquid silicon collects in the bottom of the furnace, and is then drained and cooled. The silicon produced via this process is called metallurgical grade silicon and is at least 99% pure. In 1997, metallurgical grade silicon cost about $ 0.50 per g; in 2000, silicon metal (> 99% pure silicon) averaged 56 cents per pound [1] (http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silicon/760301.pdf).

[edit]

Purification

The use of silicon in semiconductor devices demands a much greater purity than afforded by metallurgical grade silicon. Historically, a number of methods have been used to produce high-purity silicon.

[edit]

Physical methods

Early silicon purification techniques were based on the fact that if silicon is melted and re-solidified, the last parts of the mass to solidify contain most of the impurities. The earliest method of silicon purification, first described in 1919 and used on a limited basis to make radar components during World War II, involved crushing metallurgical grade silicon and then partially dissolving the silicon powder in an acid. When crushed, the silicon cracked so that the weaker impurity-rich regions were on the outside of the resulting grains of silicon. As a result, the impurity-rich silicon was the first to be dissolved when treated with acid, leaving behind a more pure product.

In zone melting, the first silicon purification method to be widely used industrially, rods of metallurgical grade silicon are heated to melt at one end. Then, the heater is slowly moved down the length of the rod, keeping a small length of the rod molten as the silicon cools and resolidifies behind it. Since most impurities tend to remain in the molten region rather than resolidify, when the process is complete, most of the impurities in the rod will have been moved into the end that was the last to be melted. This end is then cut off and discarded, and the process repeated if a still higher purity was desired.

[edit]

Chemical methods

Today, silicon is instead purified by converting it to a silicon compound that can be more easily purified than silicon itself, and then converting that silicon compound back into pure silicon. Trichlorosilane is the silicon compound most commonly used as the intermediate, although silicon tetrachloride and silane are also used. When these gases are blown over silicon at high temperature, they decompose to high-purity silicon.

In the Siemens process, high-purity silicon rods are exposed to trichlorosilane at 1150<C. The trichlorosilane gas decomposes and deposits additional silicon onto the rods, enlarging them according to chemical reactions like<p>
2 HSiCl3 ¨ Si + 2 HCl + SiCl4

Silicon produced from this and similar processes is called polycrystalline silicon. Polycrystalline silicon typically has impurity levels of 1 part per billion or less.

At one time, DuPont produced ultrapure silicon by reacting silicon tetrachloride with high-purity zinc vapors at 950<C, producing silicon according to the chemical equation<p>
SiCl4 + 2 Zn ¨ Si + 2 ZnCl2

However, this technique was plagued with practical problems (such as the zinc chloride byproduct solidifying and clogging lines) and was eventually abandoned in favor of the Siemens process."

So, to summarize, all of these processes use extremem high temperatures in "clean room" conditions to produce silicon that has less than one part per billion contaminant.  It's both difficult and expensive to make anything that pure, even water.  Then once you get it pure, you cut the ingot into wafers and lose ~40% of your super duper pure silicon as sawdust.

Then you tediously put conductive traces and leads on them, and enclose them in expensive iron free glass, etc.

Oh yeah, they also want to make a little profit in there somewhere.

That's why they're expensive.  Though in real terms (accounting for inflation) they have gotten considerably cheaper in the last ten years.  The recent price hike is because europe and asia see the handwriting on the wall and are actually trying to do something before energy costs skyrocket.  In a competitive market, high demand usually means higher cost.  The bonus is production often ramps up in respons to high demand with subsequent price drops.   So in the long view, this little price spike may actually be a good thing.

Best regards,

troy

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 12:32:38 PM by troy »

Chiron

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2005, 10:01:19 PM »
FYI, GE bought Zond from Enron. Mostly to get the Zond/Trace Variable speed constant frequency technology.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 10:01:19 PM by Chiron »

nothing to lose

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 10:04:04 AM »
Comments on the expensive part, depends how you compare things sometimes also what is really so expensive and what is not.

Looking from the point that you want power and the price per watt, solar is HIGH.

Looking at the size and weight of those pannels for a few hundred dollars then comparing them to those junk Italian charm braclet links that are so tiny and cost $3-$4 then solar panels are not high at all. What would it take to equal that size? About 1,000 charm braclet links for around $4,000???? And those do nothing at all!!

From that point of view based on size and weight we see that one panel for a few hundred dollars is not so bad.

My wife just bought a few hundred of those junk charms to resell. For people who like that stuff they aren't junk, to me they are, when the profits roll in from the sales then I'll like them too.

I am planning to build a fake roof over a trailer house to reduce the summer heat and cut air conditioning in it. Mine will be cheap built from varirous scrap. A friend got an estimate though for thiers and nothing but a roof on poles will be way over $5,000 just to shade the house and do nothing else! Ok, if properly mounted with the intent to make shade, how many panels could they buy with $5,000?? The panels as shade would last longer and need less repairs in the next 20 years than the fake roof will. Both could be used to shade the houses actuall roof and reduce cooling costs. Only the Solar pannels would produce power and lower the electric bill though. Not alot of watts for $5,000 but maybe a good bit of shade :)

From the point of wanting the most power you might not want to mount the same way as for shade, but if your going to pop 5 grand for shade then why not just get whatever power you can from the pannels and mount for the purpose of getting the most shade instead.

I never had a bass boat and don't even want one, I don't even like to fish actually, but in defense of bass boats anyway :)

A bass boat for a real fisherman has a faster payback than solar for certain!!

I mean think about it logically. Catfish is about $2 lb at the grocery store, trout is far higher, and I don't think I ever even see bass available. So if you actaully eat the fish you catch, and catch only 5lb per day average of edible fish (after cleaning) then you average a $10 per day payback on that $5,000 fishing boat. Lets see you do that with $5,000 of solar pannels :)

And I know people who fish on cloudy days and in the rain, count out solar on those days :)

It's true however I also know people who fish from a $100 row boat and catch more fish than people with a fancy boat and equipment costing near $10,000 total.

As far as recent price increases all I can say is "Why Not"?

I mean steel prices have encreased, I pay more for almost all my food this year, Gasoline is hanging in the higher prices and will be going up agian soon too I am sure. Don't beleave any of the crap about shrotages, war, etc.. driving up the prices or Bush causing such things. For a fact these gas prices existed durring the Clinton term also. First time I ever saw $1.85 gasolene here in this area was in the Clinton years BEFORE war and it went WAY down once Bush took office. Now it is back up again. We didn't make any NEW oil between Clintons high gas and Bushes lower Gas prices or the currant prices. I was working/living about 150 miles from home and traveling alot then and Clintons last year or so gas was $1.85 and higher in this area for a pretty long time, now it's floating anywhere from $1.65 to todays price of $1.80 per gallon.

Just all games and politics of oil companies and governments. It's bad for the enviroment and someday we will run out, but that's got nothing to do with the high prices.

Back to solar, while it is expensive to manufactor the cells and such I have read in several places about costs could easily be cut various ways and bring down the prices while still maintaining high quality. Wasn't the stuff I cared to be reading then and I moved on to other subjects. Articles were discussing manufactoring methodes and so forth. REAL stuff not just fluff, but I skimmed through it all and didn't pay that much attention. Basically what it all says is at this time no major manufacturor cares about cutting costs, upping production, lowering prices, and meeting higher demands. Although it's all said different ways by different people, it all basically says the same thing. These were in trade and tech type publications from various industry sources. Stuff corporate execs might read but normal people don't. One of the publications was investment oriented, kinda stated while solar might be a good long term investment for distant future it was not as good a short term investment and sighted the above reasons, basically no interest from the big guys to cut costs, lower prices, create demand, or to establish any MAJOR markets though they remain in the playing field and competive with each other for when they feel the time is right they will be in position to move quickly. No mention of when that time is right is supposed to occure though, and other investments were recommended as being far better for short term gains and as I recall even 2-3 years gains.

Let's hope they are wrong!

In the meen time who ya gonna beleave? The used car salesman that claims the 95 mini van is perfect or the indepenant mechanic down the street that tells you don't buy it, the brakes are shot the tranny fluid is burnt and the oil has water in it and tie rods about to fall off??

We have been told for 20 years that there is an oil shortage and we're gonna run out soon so they have to jack up the prices. 55cents a gallon or far less when I started driving around 1976 or so, a few problems but then they all went away as soon as gas hit $1 a gallon :(

Hmmm, same people telling us a shortage and high cost for the needed silicon quality for cells  and that's whats keeping the prices high?????

« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 10:04:04 AM by nothing to lose »

finnsawyer

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 10:40:10 AM »
It still boils down to what you get for the investment.  I figure $1,000 for 4kw would be justified (versus current costs for grid power).  At that cost I figure even here at 47 degrees north latitude I would have to put solar panels on my existing roof.  Perhaps a higher cost would be justified in designing and building a new house.  Any opinions?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 10:40:10 AM by finnsawyer »

nothing to lose

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 03:21:45 PM »
"I figure $1,000 for 4kw would be justified (versus current costs for grid power). "

I don't think you can get it that cheap, but ya I'd go for that myself!! Heck my whole day average is only 1.7KW, or about 708watts per hour figured over a 6 month average. So for me an actuall real 2-3KW system should meet the needs just fine and maybe a litle left over to cover dead spells. If it truely produced that much per average day.

Sometimes it's not just the price per KW to consider either.

For instance here where I am it cost $12 per month just to have the meter in your yard for nothing!! They don't even send out a meter reader, you have to read your own meter, figure your bill yourself and pay them. Once in a while like 6 months or so a reader runs by to make sure your paying correctly.

So that $12 per month is nothing more than to have the option to use the power, if you do use any you pay for that of course on top of the $12. Like I told the wife as I started this, just the meter charge will buy me 3 new batteries a year if I get cheap ones, or 1  new trojan every year :)

Also figure that meter charge just jumped a few years ago from $8.50 to $12! Geuss I wasn't using enough to suit them so they had to get the money some other way!! The service is still just as crappy too. So how long before they jump to $15 (or higher) for a meter charge?? Plus I have 3 UPS's running because the power grid is so crappy here, each one cost me alot of money to buy also! That's another 3 Batteries I could have bought at least! Probably Trojans at that!

In the rock house I rented I am not even having power turned on at all. Got battery system, 5k inverter, and for now chargeing a few deepcycles as I drive the pickup as needed and dumping to the batteries there. Building a 100amp mower genny now and gonna run it off propane, once I find the power curve on propane for this 13hp engine I will add more 100amps alts as it will take at the most efficient power curve. $12 for a meter in the yard will buy alot of propane instead, and the power useage won't be enough that I'll have to run the genny very much each month anyway. Then I start adding home built solar (Ebay cells) and wind gennies and eliminate the propane gennie except for backup.

$12 for a meter charge, heck my entire months usage is averaging only $20-$30 maybe $40 in the summer, so that meter charge itself is anywhere from 30% to 75% of the actual bill for what I used!!

I geuss sometimes it's not the cost or trouble, it's the fighting back attitude that makes it worthwhile also :)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 03:21:45 PM by nothing to lose »

finnsawyer

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 10:15:59 AM »
Everybody's situation is different.  I use a heat pump to heat the house.  So I need a fair amount of power.  Using grid power to heat with the heat pump isn't too bad, though.  But heat pump's are not cheap.  I do like the air conditioning, though, and the hot water.  Paying a thousand dollars a year isn't too bad in this context.  I don't think a solar system would be cost effective for this setup at this time.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 10:15:59 AM by finnsawyer »

nothing to lose

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 01:36:18 AM »
I think I had a typo in there, my average daily useage is about 17kw not 1.7kw as stated above.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 01:36:18 AM by nothing to lose »