Author Topic: Tracker on the cheap, part 3  (Read 3545 times)

Volvo farmer

Tracker on the cheap, part 3
« on: September 04, 2007, 03:59:49 AM »

I finally got everything together to get these panels in the air. One weekend digging a hole, another planting the pole, the next welding the frame to the satellite dish mount. I bought these four BP sx170s back when I was flush with cash and they've sat unused in my power shed for months. It feels great to get them out in the sun where they belong! The front array is my new (incomplete) one, the rear has been powering my house for the last year.

Today we got the trench dug and wired these over to my first array. Luckily I ran #6 from the first array to the power shed, so the total amps, even with both arrays will be less than 30 @ 48V, which #6 should handle nicely. I had some #8 THHN laying around to wire the second array to the first. The run is less than 30 ft so I should be good there too.  

It's funny, once you get used to watching a tracking array do it's thing all day long, it just seems improper for solar panels to not be moving with the sun. The second array is motionless at the moment and it bothers me quite a bit. I have everything I need to wire in the new tracker, except a peanut butter jar! Luckily I queried my neighbor today, and he's willing to scoop out his last bit of peanut butter and donate his jar to my Redrock tracker.

I ended up running wires out from my batteries to both trackers. The Redrok tracker is good to over 30V and my motors are rated at 36V. It seems to work much better than when I tried moving the tracker with a 12V stand-alone system. One thing I did learn when I first started doing this was that my motor liked to go back and forth in short bursts trying to find the ultimate sun angle. Well, Duane has brewed up this optional reverse inhibitor board on his LED3x trackers and the difference was astounding. I just ordered three more of them, for this project, another, and a backup.

I managed to scrounge two identical satellite mounts that use this neat worm gear arrangement. Most of them use a linear actuator, but these will turn much further east and west than a normal mount, and it seems much stronger to me as well.

So here's (almost) the whole silicon farm. 1360W of tracking BP panels at 48V into 24V batteries via an MX60, plus my 400W (optimistic) of homebrew panels, optimized for winter performance at at around 60 degrees fixed. The fixed array is on it's own Xantrex C40.

It's almost time for that Kenmore electric refrigerator. This is a scary time of year to be increasing electrical consumption though. Maybe I can put a bow on it and haul it into the kitchen about Christmas. At least the days are getting longer about then.

Lucky, the cat, got all tired out watching me dig rocks out of the trench today.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 03:59:49 AM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Tracker on the cheap, part 3
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:43:05 AM »
Lovely stuff.

I don't have room to swing my cat in my tiny garden, never mind my solar panels, at this stage!

I'd be interested to know what actual %age extra energy you get fron tracking in winter when it's overcast (in theory I think you should put the panels horizontal in cloudy weather)...

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:43:05 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »
AHHHH!!!  Three giant pictures at 28,800 bps dialup!

If I was at the Nevada site full time I'd sign up with the local WISP and split a T1 (soon to be a fiber) with the rest of the valley.  But that's a tad too pricey for a couple days a month out here.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:15:51 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

kurt

• website
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »
all his pictures are well within the board rules on file size well under 100k each they just display large becouse the html does not have the width=80% tag in it which is kinda bad form on this board but people do it all the time.......
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:36:30 PM by kurt »

richhagen

Looking Good
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:45:41 AM »
Lookin good out there volvo,  I was just reading up on DC fridges for remote locations.  An electric fridge will certainly add to your generation and storage needs.  Below is an array and battery sizing chart for one manufacturer of efficient DC types.  Note the size of the Fridges and Freezers.  I imagine that after running the power through an inverter for a much larger AC type, where efficiency is not necessarily the number one priority, will result in the need for significant additional resources.  Rich

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:45:41 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Volvo farmer

Re: Looking Good
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »
Thanks Rich,

I think I'll be OK. We've got 800Ahr of battery @ 24V. I can't remember the last time I was over 15% into it. We've been doing fine on our previous arrays and just added 680W. Sun-hours here are 5, even in winter, with a fixed array. I'll do better than that with tracking.

The 120V fridges I've been considering are on the order of 1.2KWhr/day. I've just added three to four times that in generating capacity. Even if inverter and battery losses were about 50% (which they're not), I'd still be making enough power on solar for one of these $500 Kenmore fridges, providing we don't get three or four cloudy days in a row.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:35:36 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.