Author Topic: Using Panels of Different Wattages in One Array  (Read 2516 times)

GeorgeB71

Using Panels of Different Wattages in One Array
« on: October 09, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »
Good Morning,

I have a question about installing solar panels of different sizes, amperages, and wattages into one array.  Every installer tells me that this is a "no-no", but I have a hunch that it can be done properly if the strings of panels are wired such that their amperages match up.  The strings with the common amperages can then be wired together in series.

For example, say I have 4 Solarex 75 watt panels at 4 amps each and 2 Kyocera 120 watt panels at 8 amps each.  If I wired two Solarex panels together in parallel, I'd have a string with 8 amps.  Then I could wire the two strings of Solarex panels in series with the Kyocera panels.  The whole array would then generate 8 amps.  The total voltage of the array would be lower than if I connected all the panels in series.  (Each string of 2 Solarex panels would have the same voltage as one Solarex panel, and the voltages of two Solarex strings would just add to the voltages of the individual Kyocera panels).

Would this setup work?

Thanks,

- George

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:59:32 PM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Using Panels of Different Wattages in One Arra
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:30:36 PM »
The volts need to be the same, the amps can be different. If you want the panels to work together optimally, you really want the rated Vmp to be within a few tenths of a volt between panel types.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:30:36 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »
When paralleling, match the voltage

When seriesing, match the power ratings and voltage. The lowest output panel will limit the rest.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:54:59 PM by AbyssUnderground »

richhagen

Using Panels of Different Wattages in One Array
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
if the two panels paralleled have similar voltage/current curve, then the setup will work.  I have done a similar set up in the past. In general I do not like splitting the current in the string between two panels, but I have done it in the past, and it didn't blow up on me.  

Where I would think you would likely see a problem is during a partial shading incident.  Most newer panels contain bypass diodes that allow the panel to conduct current when some of the cells are shaded and not passing much current through them.  The problem you could encounter is that the bypass diodes in the panel rated for 4 amps may not be rated for the amount of current they could potentially see if it doesn't get an even split between the two paralleled panels.  I might individually fuse the panels where I split the current, to limit the current through the bypass diode should it be shaded as I doubt the 4 amp panels will have bypass diodes rated for 8 amps. Worst case senario then should be a couple of blown fuses.  Now in my case in the past, I did nothing but connect them, and I did not realize any problems from the configurations.  

I have several strings running now where the current is similar, but the voltage of the panels are different, precisely, I have a couple of 48 volt strings with two 33 Cell Siemens panels and two 36 Cell Siemens panels of similar amperage in the string.  I did that to push up the voltage level of the strings sufficient to reap the current from all of the panels in hot weather.  I was concerned that a series string with four 33 cell panels might suffer too much of a voltage drop in hot weather to contribute, although in retrospect I don't think it would have been too much of an issue where I am located.  

Make your system work for you - Rich Hagen

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:20:13 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »
When seriesing, match the power ratings and voltage. The lowest output panel will limit the rest.

Actually:  When seriesing match the current rating (which you can derive from the power and voltage rating).  It's fine to series, say, 12 and 24 volt panels of the same current rating.

It's the BATTERIES, RECTIFIERS, and COILS WITHIN A GENERATOR where matching is critical when combining multiple units (especially in parallel).

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:25:19 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Series in an ampmeter or two and measure different configurations .
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:17:00 PM by tecker »

mvr

Re: Using Panels of Different Wattages in One
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:45:55 PM »
What's wrong with this thought? If two panels are in parallel and are both protected with diodes to prevent backflow (which they would need anyway to prevent discharge of the batteries at night) they should work OK.  We can break it down into two limiting cases - one case where only one is unshaded, and the other where both are fully unshaded. In the case where only one is in the sun the voltage the charge controller sees will be the output of whichever panel is working loaded down with the charge load. If both panels are unshaded it will be some function of the individual outputs of the panels and the share of the load each one is asked to bear.  There may of course be mixed cases when there is partial shade, but they will fall somewhere between these two extremes.

I'm not saying this is how it in fact works, but this is what my knowledge of electical theory (such as it is) leads me to think it should work.  I'm asking for correction by those who know more.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:45:55 PM by mvr »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:44:15 AM »
I think there's nothing wrong with the thought so long as the open-circuit voltages are close (maybe within 20%) when in sunlight.

If one panel is slightly higher (open-circuit) voltage because it's got better sun at the moment then it will end up being pulled down to battery voltage plus diode drop anyway because of its internal resistance, while supplying the lion's share of the charging current, and the other panel will still be able to provide some current.

But if the panels are very poorly matched on Voc (say 24V and 17V) and your battery is small, then you're using the higher-voltage panel inefficiently and the lower-voltage panel may often not be able to 'cut-in' especially if the battery is small.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:44:15 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mvr

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »
Thanks Damon!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:11:58 PM by mvr »