Author Topic: xantrex charge controller problems  (Read 1234 times)

watto24

xantrex charge controller problems
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »
Hello all

My charge controller that had been connected for over a month has seem to stop working

there is no activity from the led indicator.

i had a lighting storm on Monday. i am   wondering if that is the root to my problems.

Question 2

can i connect my solar panel (80watts) to the battery without a blocking diode?.

thanks

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:07:23 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: xantrex charge controller problems
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »
Sounds like the lightning might have caused it. Have you tried disconnecting it and leaving it a while? It may just need resetting rather than having fried.

Some panels have a diode built in, other don't, so to be safe I would put your own diode in but you'll lose about 1v from the open circuit voltage. Also keep a very close eye on your battery bank as without the controller you could easily overcharge it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:36:26 AM by AbyssUnderground »

veewee77

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »
Also, make sure that if you add a diode, that the current rating of the diode is at least higher than the max current that panel is rated for. If you put in too weak of a diode, it will likely short, and then it is just like not having one at all. The other scenario is that it will open and you won't get anything at all. . .

Having fun yet?

This stuff gets addicting. . . when you start getting "free" power, you get hooked. . . fast!

Doug

Note: the term "free" power doesn't include the cost of making/buying/otherwise acquiring the equipment to make such power. . . That is like shipping when you order something. . . it is just a consequential expense to get on to the fun stuff!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:21:44 AM by veewee77 »

watto24

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
Thanks for all your response , all is well now i just disconnected the controller for a couple hours then re-connect and it started working again.

I think i have alot to learn.

Watto  

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:38:30 PM by watto24 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »
No worries.  Learn as you go.  That is how it works.  :D

Electronics are like...  Pick your poison... You know?

Your controller works.  My wife is not upset.  The world is good.

G-
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:03:02 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller