Author Topic: Trash Tracker  (Read 4250 times)

zap

• There's an app for that
Trash Tracker
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:49:08 AM »
All of the parts for this tracker are from the trash, or soon to be trash, and were free... thus the "Trash Tracker" moniker.

I had wanted to try something like the redrok tracker for years but I didn't want to spend that much considering I would have had to buy the redrok plus the motors.

This setup is self powered and pretty simple.

The main parts:

4 solar panels from old yard lights.  I got these lights out of a friends yard in North central New Mexico.  I'm not sure what brand but I think they were Harbor Freight or something similar... cheaply made.  They had sat outside in the dirt, snow, rain, etc. for a few years and I think only one worked when I got them.  The plastic covering the actual solar panel had yellowed and deteriorated on all but one of the panels.  I sanded them down with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper then followed that with rubbing compound, polishing compound, then car wax.

Another yard light was used for the Return To East (RTE) function.  Basically the light's PCB, batteries, and panel were used from this one.  I once looked up part numbers I found on this light and some Malibu part numbers came up so I assume it's an old Malibu yard light.  It uses two AA NiCd.

The drive motor is a worm gear affair from an old HP printer.

A normally closed micro switch from an old printer or scanner.

And finally an old 12" bike wheel from some kids bike that was tossed and left in my yard years ago.

I got the idea for this from this youtube video.  Pretty darn simple and what I liked best was... in my case, I had all the parts and they were all free.

Board member Madscientist267 had put together a nice solar led light system here and mentioned wanting to add a tracker.  I referred him to the same youtube video and decided I should get off my rear and 'pick up my hammer' and make one also.

Madscientist267 is working on his own version of a tracker and I expect he will be posting a story on his work soon.

Here's mine in it's cardboard mock up state.

Not shown in the photo is the limit switch screwed and taped to the bottom of the cardboard.  A clamp similar to the ones holding the solar panels is clamped to the wheel rim to activate the switch.

Those are rubber bands running from the motor to the wheels axle serving as a tensioner for the motor's friction drive.

The solar panels have been soldered together in parallel then crossed wired, each set of panels has it's positive going to the other set's negative and visa versa.  The crossed wires are then hooked to the motor's positive and negative.

Here's a schematic.

How it works:

Assuming both sets of panels put out the same amount of power... If both panels were aimed directly at the sun, the resulting power to the motor would be zero.  Angling the panels allows for a differential voltage to be produced and will run the motor till the panels both are producing the same amount of power and once again zero each other out... stopping the motor.

It will track the sun in either direction although I haven't seen it do it yet.  I does track a 100 watt light bulb and will do a complete circle in either direction without the RTE component installed.

The motor runs along the rim of the bike wheel which has had electrical tape applied for added traction.

For RTE I ran wires from the yard light's led to the motor with a diode placed to keep the batteries isolated from the tracker till it's dark.  Once it's dark, the yard light turns on as usual but in addition to lighting it's led, it powers the tracker's motor back to the east for the next day's sun.

The micro switch is placed so that it interrupts the batteries power to the motor once the east facing position has been reached.  Once the sun's up, the yard lights own wizardry shuts the power off to the led and motor till it's dark once again.  The trip back during RTE is slow.  To speed it up I will probably disconnect the led since it will stay on all night and drain the batteries and it's not really needed.

One problem I can see happening with this setup is a big dark thunderstorm causing the RTE to function and sending the tracker to it's 'morning position' then when the thunderstorm clears, the west tracking panel may be too far out of position to be able to track.  I haven't tested this scenario yet.

The tracker will forward track with about a 3-4° precision.  If for some reason it needs to back track, there's about a 25-35° 'null' zone.  I have a feeling higher powered panels or a better motor could cut the 'null' zone down.  If you watch the youtube video closely, you'll see his 'null' zone is small when it back tracks.

My original prototype used a small motor (unknown source) running along the bike wheel rim but it was under powered... lacking torque.  Steve (Madscientist267) used a CD changer carousel for his tracker.  I tried using a CD-ROM's eject motor and tray and it worked but as you can imagine, the range was limited.  With my original setup, it wouldn't take too much wind to blow the setup out of track.  With the current setup it's fairly stable and I hope to have it set up soon for use on my solar cooker.

The setup could easily be used to run a vertical axis.

Anyone have any ideas for a "throw away" source of suitable motors and turntables besides those already mentioned?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:49:08 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Trash Tracker
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:06:37 AM »
Hey ,  Super cool setup you have there.

I was thinking about the EJECT motors on a VHS VCR would work . . .

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:06:37 AM by wooferhound »

zap

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »
Thanks woof.

I really don't need the RTE portion for the solar cooker but I decided to try it and see if it works.  Without the RTE part the thing works well and is so simple.

I think the motor is one of the hard things to find.  VCR's would probably work well and I maybe some toys out there would work well too.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:35:51 AM by zap »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »
Wow, a little different than what I had pictured based on your descriptions of it in previous posts... dunno why, but I was thinking that the wheel was spinning rather than the axle.

Pretty decent, and now it makes sense why you wanted so much torque. A solar cooker will definitely require more grunt than a small PV panel.

Its gonna be interesting to see how both of these 'pretty up'. I'm starting to envision the final design for mine, its a bit of a far cry from what I have now. I'm really curious to how yours will turn out as well once it's on the cooker.

Why is it concept cars are the only things that attractive to look at from the very beginning? B-)

Steve

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:57:56 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »
I like it.  A Lot.

I just lost a big post about it.  It was good too.  I am so PO'd.  

Save Early Save Often.

I am not clear on the 4 main PVs.

They are 2 x 2 for 6V at single rated amps?

Or for 3V at double rated amps?

The 6V will get more motor options.  But the RTE supply is still 3V.

Your 2 problems... I see as Solutions to existing problems.

Both "Slow" and "25-35° 'null'"

Slow.  So what.  It has all night to get there.  No reason to rush RTE in a thunderstorm or if a bird lands on the PVs...

Null.  Great!  Why go looking to the east of where the sun was a minute ago?  I bet it ain't there.  Don't waste power looking for the other side of a cloud.  That was a good part of the lost stuff.

Don't scrap the CDS cells from the unused boards.

RTE from thunderstorms, etc.  Can series or parallel the CDS cells so it will not RTE until after sundown.  2 pointing toward south, one each south east and south west.  May take a series resistor with each CDS.  Depends on the CDS type.

Reflectors tend to shade the CDS (trip RTE early).

Some yard lights sense PV voltage, and that idea will not apply.

The motor may be mostly stalled during RTE.  Place the rubber band on the axle nut.  See what changes.  Worth a try.

The lost one was better.  This one looks longer.  Dang.

The biggest problem I see is learning to ride the existing 12" bike as a unicycle.

G-

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:46:03 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
The null part...

Angle the PV that moves the motor east a bit more east.

Or tip it back at a steeper angle.

The mounting angle makes a big difference.

G-

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:49:57 PM by ghurd »

zap

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:29:11 PM »
G-

The 4 panels:

Each set is paralleled only because it was the easiest way to solder them together.  I never checked the voltage, I was only concerned with whether it would run the motor.

Everything is soldered up now, but I just checked it under a 100 watt bulb and it was 2.3vdc... add in whatever was being dropped in the motor so yes... 3vdc at double the amps.

I wasn't really sure if I wanted more amps or more volts and just went with more amps since it was easier to solder.

The RTE circuit is pretty much a stand alone circuit and can easily be removed if RTE isn't needed.  It is basically the whole Malibu light without any of it's plastic bits.

It wouldn't be needed for the solar cooker unless I was to make a more permanent installation.  As it is now, the cooker is an old 1940's suitcase lined with Tuff-R with an old basement window placed on top and a paint stir stick used to prop the lid at the right angle to reflect sun down into box.  LOL... I'll bet that brings up some odd mental pictures!!!

Steve and I talked a bit about the slow speed in the other post and I think we both agree with you... slow is no problem.

The null zone doesn't bother me at all either.  Even if there was a bright cloud off to the east, I don't think the panels I have would be able to get enough power to back track.  Once is starts tracking though, in either direction, it holds a pretty tight track.

The HF lights (or whatever cheap brand they were) have the CSD cells.  The Malibu lights use the solar panel for their detection.  It will keep the circuit dead till it's almost dark and should work fine once the design is finalized.

If you want I can post a picture of the Malibu,and even the cheapy one's, guts.  The Malibu is a 2 transistor, 3 resistor, 1 diode, 1 led affair... seems pretty elegant.

I don't think the motor's stalling during RTE.  As it sits now it is sharing power with the unneeded led and it's a slow turner at 3vdc anyway.  I think I clocked the RTE portion at about 35 seconds and that covered a little over have the circumference.  Seemed fine to me.

The wheel I used....... it's unicycle days are over!

Steve

I think the whole thing will fit nicely in a small box attached to the front of the turntable.  That would keep the motor down by the wheel rim where it needs to be and ought to make for a pretty small, unobtrusive package.

I haven't given up the idea of using the motor's own axle yet.  I have a feeling it might have enough torque and be strong enough if I mount it directly to a platform.

Things are still advancing.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:29:11 PM by zap »

FishbonzWV

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
Very nice Zap,

I'm a super scrapper, so I love to see these things built for free.

One source for a motor with more torque would be a car repair shop/dealer. The window motors are pretty beefy and have a gear box. Most of the power window units that malfunction are from the cables getting bound up. The motors are still good. Got one in the garage to see if I can use it to raise and lower my PV rack on the roof. Spring time project though.

Keep up the good work.

Fishbonz

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:47:02 PM by FishbonzWV »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
Hey Zap,

email the pics and circuit parts numbers.

No reason to go past 70% circumference, SE to SW. ?

Scattering, diffusion, etc.

Hot Glue.  Hot Glue helps every design.

G-

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:29:32 PM by ghurd »

zap

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
Will try and get pics to you today G.

I don't recall summer rise and set degrees at my location but buildings, trees, etc. negate a few of those degrees anyway.  I would think 70% would cover it with travel to spare.

I'm a little sad to say that no hot glue... none at all... was used on this project...YET!  Maybe that's good since hot glue and solar sometimes don't play well together. :)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:34:44 AM by zap »

zap

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 08:53:11 AM »
Thanks Fish, yes, free can be a lot of fun.

I have bigger motors but the panels are tiny, that's what made it tricky.

I just tested one set of the paralleled panels.  Shorted showed 2.4volts and  .15amps so a little over a 1/3 watt panel give or take?  Not much to work with.

I have a few of the Harbor Freight 1.5 watt battery charging panels that I might use with a bigger motor. Surpluscenter and MPJA have some nice geared motors that are fairly cheap and would be fun to try.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:53:11 AM by zap »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 06:38:32 PM »
Heh, yeah without a doubt, the tiny amounts of power are what make this very difficult. :)

Steve

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:38:32 PM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !