Author Topic: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Hytrogen  (Read 1058 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Hytrogen
« on: January 05, 2005, 01:43:18 AM »
Once again I found an story on http://slashdot.org that links to a Physics Today article about the present and future of the Hydrogen Economy. It's Very Long and indepth but well worth a read if your interested in that kinda thing.

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-12/p39.html

Here is a Very Small snipit about solar panels that make hydrogen without electricity.

----------

The direct solar conversion of sunlight to H2 is one of the most fascinating developments in water splitting. Established technology splits water in two steps: conversion of solar radiation to electricity in photovoltaic cells followed by electrolysis of water in a separate cell. It is well known that the photovoltaic conversion occurs with an efficiency up to 32% when expensive single−crystal semiconductors are used in multi−junction stacks, or about 3% with much cheaper organic semiconductors; remarkably, the cost of delivered electricity is about the same in both cases. Advanced electrolyzers split water with 80% efficiency.

----------

« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 01:43:18 AM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

Re: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Hytro
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 01:19:39 AM »
I have expieremented with hydrogen before, but I couldnt store it. I would like to build a pressurized  system that way I could store it in propane tanks.

It would be a GREAT load when your batteries are full, which I might try and do.

It's funny though when people hear about hydrogen they think "crazy dangerous stuff", when it's just like propane(not in power, but in handling/exploding). If you dont mix the oxygen with the gas, there is no boom.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 01:19:39 AM by pyrocasto »