Author Topic: How to mount PV panels on the roof  (Read 3223 times)

amiklic1

How to mount PV panels on the roof
« on: January 20, 2006, 09:27:18 PM »
In Croatia, usual type of roof covering is with rooftiles. There are different sizes, and I need to make a roof mount for the PV panels that can be used widely on many roofs. However, three diffrent types of rooftiles are the most common, so it's possible to make three mount types.

Are there any ideas where to start?. Maybe some rail-type mounts, or "frame in frame"?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 09:27:18 PM by (unknown) »

Don Cackleberrycreations

Re: How to mount PV panels on the roof
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:12:55 PM »
Are you talking about rounded clay tiles or  flat slate type tiles?

either way to prevent future roof leaks you will have to make a metal plate long enough to slide well past the "waterline" of the tile so it can be secured

this plate should rest on one tile and under the next tile up a cushion of rubber is suggested to prevent the tile it rests on from being damaged.

You can have an adjustable mount welded to the the plate for mounting your system.

I would say you need at least 4 such mounting plates

just a suggestion your milage may vary

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:12:55 PM by Don Cackleberrycreations »

amiklic1

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 04:48:00 AM »
Here are the common roof tiles in my area, and the schematic of tipical roof, how it's made.

And the last picture is my idea for the mounting system Blue strip is steel piece curved for usual shapes of tiles. Red lines are screws, and the green is a rubber cushion to keep the tilef from breaking.

What do you think of this
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 04:48:00 AM by amiklic1 »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:32:20 PM »
Your method using the metal may work. You would probably want the foam below AND above the metal so you can keep the whole thing weatherproof. This would also help to keep the tile from breaking. I don't know how many supports you plan to install and I assume these will be used to support the homebrew panels you made.

I searched the climate in Sinj but could only find it for surrounding areas but I'm assuming you do get some snow so your supports should also factor in snow and wind loading. The more you put in, the better the support, BUT then you're also increasing the chance for leaks/cracked tiles. Have a look about 3/4 down on this page for another possible solution. http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/pvt/Resources/publications/pdf/ARRAYMOUNTINGMETHODS.PDF Something similar might also be done using a pipe that is fastened along a joist and collar tie or ceiling joist.  Two 3inch sch40 steel pipe would support quite a lot and now you're talking about only two roof penetrations.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:32:20 PM by zap »

Clifford

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 08:49:06 PM »
One thing to keep in mind...

Water doesn't like to flow uphill.

What are your storms like?  Wind?

How many panels do you want to install?

One option might be to install the panels right to the peak.

Perhaps drill holes in some of the cap strip - peak tiles.  Make posts that will penetrate the peak tiles and attach firmly to the rafters below.  Put the cap row back on and caulk around the holes you made in your cap strip.

You would then be able to adjust your tiles for the angle of inclination of the sun as well as pointing them directly south if the roof isn't that direction.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:49:06 PM by Clifford »

Clifford

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 06:24:17 PM »
I saw an interesting mount on E-Bay recently.

They took a round steel (or aluminum post), probably 1 1/2".  This had a "foot" to affix to the roof.

Then they put vent-pipe flashing (with a rubber sleave) around the post.  

I assume the roofing would then  be put over the flashing as one would do with a vent pipe.

It appeared to be quite a fairly simple solution.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 06:24:17 PM by Clifford »

zyewdall

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 03:44:32 PM »
The type of mounting system used for almost all roof types over here is a rail type system.  How the rails are attached to the roof varies with the type of roofing.  www.unirac.com has alot of pictures of the rail type systems.  I sometimes use a similar system made from standard steel C channel, as it is cheaper than the aluminum rail that Unistrut makes.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 03:44:32 PM by zyewdall »