Author Topic: What are the chances!  (Read 1500 times)

omegaman66

What are the chances!
« on: April 08, 2006, 07:38:14 PM »
I might be able to get my hands on a supposedly busted solar panel.  The story as told to me is that this solar panel which was used to help power their house (grid tied system) is destroyed.  They went on vacation and when they got back water had supposedly gotten into the solar panels and destroyed them.

Is there any chance that parts of or all of the panel can be used to generate electricity again?  Maybe dismantling it and using good cells?  The damage occured about 4 years ago and the panel is still up on his roof.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 07:38:14 PM by (unknown) »

Opera House

Re: What are the chances!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »
My biggest concern is that most panels are a frame forward design.  All rigidity is from the glass in front and the cells are bonded to a weak structure in back.  Worth a couple hours of fun, but high potential for creating more damage.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:12:56 PM by Opera House »

omegaman66

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:51:58 PM »
This panel is very large and my hope is to be able to salvage sections of it for other uses.  If half of the panels are bad and I can seperate individual cells or whatever I could put it to use charging a battery or two for use at my campsite.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:51:58 PM by omegaman66 »

nanotech

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:53:27 PM »
Is it just the solar panel they're selling, or the complete system?

If it's the complete system, I'd say go for it just to get the charge controller and the wiring, etc.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:53:27 PM by nanotech »

Buck L

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 03:19:25 PM »
Hi-If you can get the panel for free you have nothing to loose. Take it apart and separate the broken cells.(Note the cells are brittle, be gentle) Remove any corrosion.This may take some time depending on how bad it is.I would stay away from steel wool. But if u do just use some of Dan's magnets to pick up the remnants Replace with cells of same size. there are some on E-Bay from time to time. Good soldering techniques are a must. practice on the broken cells Replace the front Glass with tempered Glass. You can test each cell with a volt and mill amp meter.if you have any other questions E mail me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 03:19:25 PM by Buck L »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 04:27:05 PM »
"Worth a couple hours of fun"

I'll second that.

I would not get my hopes up, and I certainly would not pay anything for it.

My experience with PVs like that, is 90% go into a dumpster after many hours of work.

G-

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 04:27:05 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

omegaman66

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 08:05:22 AM »
The guy is a friend of a coworker.  If he still has everything and I can get it cheap I will buy whatever he has that is working.  I know for sure he has the solar panel but don't know if the other stuff is still hanging around.  Awaiting word.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:05:22 AM by omegaman66 »

Spelljammer

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »
what if you just remove the aluminum trim and wait for a nice sunny hot day and place the panel in such a way that the part with water in it is closer to the top.  The sun will heat it up the water will start to evaporate out the top.  It may take a few days and you may have to rotate a few times.  Water molecules are very small and as it evaporates they will be at a slightly higher pressure.  They WILL find a way out.  

Worth a try.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 05:58:00 PM by Spelljammer »