Author Topic: What type of Solar panel to upgrade to ?  (Read 1342 times)

Chris R

What type of Solar panel to upgrade to ?
« on: October 26, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »
Hi all,

I need advice as I am looking to upgrade my system from 12V to 24V and lessen the overall physical size/output ratio of my panels. Currently I have 19 panels (4 siemens 50 watt, 12 Carrizo 35 watt, 2 Kyocera 80watt, 1 Photowatt 110watt). I run these through a BZ products 500watt mppt and a Siemens 20A charge controller. At this time I am using a DR1512 Inverter and have a Xantrex 4024 to upgrade with.

The Sanyo HIP 200BA3 200 watt panels caught my eye, but they output up to 56V, and I do not know if my mppt controller will make the most of the extra voltage.

What do you think ?

TIA,

Chris

Tarryall, CO

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:57:23 PM by (unknown) »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: What type of Solar panel to upgrade to ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 06:29:02 PM »
The BZ units currently for sale are "Universal PV input up to 100 volts" but I don't know if they have bumped up the input voltages for that MPPT charge controller since you bought yours.

The Sanyo 200 panel is rated 68.7 volts open circuit with temperature coefficient of -0.172V/C (WOW!) so I calculate at zero degrees celcius output would be 71.7V, looks like plenty of cushion but double check before you drop that $1000. Reading the spec sheets it says 19.7% cell efficiency...  very nice module ! !

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:29:02 PM by DanG »

Countryboy

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »
By the sounds of things, your mppt doesn't make the best of the wattage you already have.

The panels you listed that you already have produce 890 watts max.  A 500 watt mppt can only handle slightly over half the voltage you can produce.  Your charge controller can only handle 240 watts at 12 V.

I guess I don't really understand why you are wanting to go from 12 volt to 24 volt.  Changing the PV voltage won't make your array smaller - as amperage output will be half what it used to be.  Your total power will be the same.

The only way you can reduce the array size and still get the same amount of power is to get a more efficient panel.

The Sanyo HIP 200BA3 appear to be a 48 volt panel.  

It's your money, but personally I would invest in a mppt and charge controller that could handle all the power I could potentially produce before I upgraded the panels.

By the way, what are you planning to do with the 12 volt panels?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:42:35 PM by Countryboy »

Chris R

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 08:04:27 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I am upgrading because I got a deal on a 4024 inverter, and my surface pump and well pump are most effecient at 24V. Also the newer panels at 24V or better are often smaller than my old panels.

The smaller SQFT'age will make my tracking setup easier to build and manage. Also I think that having all of the same model of panels should work better than the mix I have now.

I will sell most of the old panels to offset the cost of the newer panels. Ideally I would like to sell them locally (Colorado) and avoid shipping.

Thanks,

Chris

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:04:27 PM by Chris R »