Author Topic: Linear actuators  (Read 1580 times)

tony t

Linear actuators
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:04:58 PM »
Evening All,

Does anybody have any experience with linear actuators as a method of altering angle for solar panels.

Would it be possible to use 1 actuator to say alter a linked panel with 5 200watt panels.

Any ideas.

regards

tony

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 09:04:58 PM by (unknown) »

chainsaw

Re: Linear actuators
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »
I am using a home modified sat dish with 4 125 watt kc panels. The linear actuator that I use is the one that came with the dish(free). I have used the led tracker from redrok($38) for over a year with no problems with the electronics. When I first hooked everything up, I used 24v from my  battery bank to run the actuator. This was a mistake because of jerky movement and too fast travel of the actuator. I then changed to 12 volts and it works great. At sunset it takes about 25 minutes to reposition to the east for the next morning with almost inperceptible movement.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:19:06 PM by chainsaw »

RogerAS

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »
Hi,

I use not only the acuator but the old style big dish framework as well to track my PV's. I use a different version of tracker electronics than the redrock design. I have 2 BP75's, 2 Sharp 123's and 2 Kyocera 125"s and the hardware works like a charm. This is all 12V driven. Below is my own schematic design using a few more parts than the redrock deisgn but it's pretty foolproof once set correctly. Shown for 12V service, but adaptable for higher voltages with a few parts swaps.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/93/rogertrackerschematic.pdf

No, I'm really not all that interested in building these. I really don't have time. It is very reliable as mine has been running over 2 years error free. I'd say it's a one evening build for the circuit and 2 or 3 hours testing and setting once assembled with actuator and stop switches. Maybe 3 or 4 adjustments after that to get it tweaked just so.

Hope it helps.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 07:46:20 PM by RogerAS »

tony t

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 12:05:07 AM »
 i wasnt really meaning to track the sun, i was thinking about the different angle at difernet times of the year. to save going up onto a roof.

regards

tony

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:05:07 AM by tony t »

satmanuk

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:21:47 PM »
hi there

yes you can use a linear actuator to control elevation throughout the year..

in my setup

http://www.redrok.com/led3xassm.htm#cross

i'm using a H-H mount and a redrok tracker for East-West tracking through the day, and a standard linear actuator for seasonal elevation adjustment on a manual switch.

i would highly recomend redroks LED3 tracker, its well worth the $38, especially in winter, ive gained almost 50% aditional output by tracking the sun during the day, and as you say the linear elevation control makes it really easy to adjust during the year, i'm currently spending about 2 minutes every few months watching the charge meter and adjusting the elevation via the actuator, i have a douple pole, double throw switch with a N.O. resting point to control the actuator.

the H-H motor is completely automated via the LED3 tracker, and only consumes about 5W a day.

also Duane @ redrok is very helpful and honest if you think about that route.hope this helps

satman

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:21:47 PM by satmanuk »

adelaide

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 12:15:13 AM »
hi i used a bujet home made out of junk it uses door hinjes for 5 years so far, 1 at each end(strong) and a rod with nut welded on it with long thred rod into a cordles drill(on side to move it ) / light senser is 1 bigger light d  rester in black tube  triggering a car central lcoking brain and i have only 1 senser and use the soler pannel postive befor diod (make a relay to by pass diode during day few more % powerd by sepert smaller panell or ldr) to trigger return when goes neg   with limet swiches / diodes . manual sumer winter at moment  and cloudy days  have to use maual to cach up ocashonaly . working on better 1 now  and have noticed that if cloudy  at say 9am if u move to 11 am spot  roufly will produce more power.

so a tracker made with sensers or better 2 pannels slightly off set should be smarter untill a bird poos.

upgrade im considering sun is not straight line acros sky hear so considering using a A fraim at 1 end  (goes spred legged with winch or pully) summer winter axis and the shaft to be in a sort of step on its side _....---with pivots at each end so sot of arcs acros the sky insted od horzontal   may be to hard thow , . also made a 1 point atachmet 2 axis tracker out of big 1 inch solid shaft gear boxes but dident look strong enuf so retied it defonatly worth doing for extra power and another idear is mecury limetting swiches may be more relible  if storm trys to bens swich etc.

hope that gave u some idears/ not on spelling thow
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:15:13 AM by adelaide »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 04:15:21 AM »
My ebay cells that I bought a year ago are just going together I now have an a good plan . My pc power is povided by some marine batts and 7 Amorphos panels . I made a jack for both ends of the rack to lift either end ,Morning one side flat midday and evening the other end and in bad weather flat to the roof line. Two 3.5 volt screwdrivers do all the work ( when I get weather proofed I'll post some pics ( ugly now)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:15:21 AM by tecker »